Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group!

I don't have a lot of experiance purchasing handguns. I recently acquired my concealed carry permit and am looking for a small/light pocket revolver. I did my research........
and narrowed it down to

Taurus 85 2 inch Ultralite Titanium ....or

Taurus 85 2 inch SS Ultralite

And i thought I would purchase a Taurus 94 2 inch SS as a cheap way to train.

I start making telephone calls to dealers in my area ( they quote me excellent prices) but not one have any of the above
and their SUPPLIERS DON'T HAVE ANY either???

Is this a normal handgun buying experiance?

I know I could find one on the Internet but the prices start out higher then you add shipping and transfer fees and it tacks on an additional $100 to the price of the gun!...I'm not whining .......... Am I missing something here??

Thanks

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.

You mentioned the additional costs of buying online with shipping and FFL fees. However Buds Gun Shop is still better than some stores even after factoring in those aforementioned fees. Here is the link to their Taurus revolvers if you're interested:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_50_494

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is common not to be able to hold one in person before purchasing, especially if you are not in a major city.

try a smaller dealer in your area, sometimes they advertise in the classifieds in your local newspaper...alot of them charge 10% over their cost, so they can get you a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
21,950 Posts
For some reason dealers don't push Taurus wheel guns other than the tracker model and I have the m85 and love it, its just the regular 5 round with hamer during the summer you can put in cargo shorts with a cheap pocket holster and you'll forget you have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Group!

As a follow up to my question........

Does Taurus have a rhyme or reason as to how they make handgun models available? Do they make a few of each model every month? Is there a certain time of the year when it is easier to find certain models.

I know these are newby questions..............

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
+1 on budsgunshop.com. I have 2 taurus handguns from there. The prices were good and delivery was fast. I highly reccommend them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
topeka said:
Does Taurus have a rhyme or reason as to how they make handgun models available? Do they make a few of each model every month? Is there a certain time of the year when it is easier to find certain models.
In a word: Marketing. Taurus, or any gun maker, tends to make what's selling. They can only make so many at a time because of the cost of re-tooling and try to have some of everything in inventory, but sometimes keeping up with demand can be tricky.

The model 85, UltraLite is a fine gun. I used to have one, until my wife decided she wanted it for HER carry gun.

Since you are an admitted newbie, may I recommend you take a bit of time and consider what kind of ammo you want to carry in it. Practice ammo doesn't make much difference, but for self defense you want the best ammo you can get. It may be a bit more expensive, but that is not somewhere where you want to cut corners. There's lots of good factory carry ammo on the market and you can depend on any major ammo maker's "personal defense" ammo. I like the Speer Gold Dot, 135 gr. Short Barrel ammo. Most ammo loses energy and performance in short barrels and Speer has factored that into their Short Barrel ammo. The bullets are designed to fully expand at lower velocities.

Remember, no matter what kind of gun you have, it is simply a bullet launcher. Bullet performance and shot placement is what makes the difference when it comes to self defense.

My HER model 85.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had also settled on a Taurus revolver 651 protector in SS, but nobody has it. I called the US number for Taurus and even they cannot tell me when it will be at distributors.. Odd..

·
Registered
959 Posts
~I SEE GUNS~topeka,... get the Titanium... That's the Special one... Remember, its the Bullets that "COST MORE MONEY OVER TIME"...!!! Plus you get Bragging Rights... The Taurus Titanium is Better than a S&W "T"... That's FACT Not Fiction...<:))

Taurus Model 85 Small Frame Revolver 2850029UL, 38 Special, 2", Soft Rubber Grip, Matte Stainless Finish
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=84117

Taurus MODEL 85 ULTRA-LITE Titanium 38 Special 2" Barrel
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G2850029ULT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Group,

With the help of this forum (and gunbroker.com) I was able to locate and purchase a Taurus 85 SS2UL today! I put a few rounds through it in the backyard.
+P kicks a little more than I remembered. Happy with purchase!
Next challenge ........locate Taurus 94SS2UL for practice. Thirty cents a round for .38 spl. adds up quick.......ouch!

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
BTW - Rossi makes a sweet 357 6 shot that is about the same size as any 38 snub.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
BTW - Rossi makes a sweet 357 6 shot that is about the same size as any 38 snub.
Are you talking about the 461 and 462? Budsgunshop.com has them both. $268 for blued $306 for stainless. Those prices are for the gun and delivery to your ffl.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
paulrabe78 said:
Are you talking about the 461 and 462? Budsgunshop.com has them both. $268 for blued $306 for stainless. Those prices are for the gun and delivery to your ffl.
Yep, and they shoot well. Direct to POA at normal defense distances. I got my 461 for $263 late last year.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Actually, I just bought identical holsters for the PT111, and the Rossi 461. Same manufacturer, but set up for the individual guns. I plan to carry one on the hip, and the other IWB if I am in certain places. But probably will interchange carry as I feel that day. I will have at least one gun in my truck, plus my carry. So which ever suits me for the day will be behind my right hip.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
topeka said:
Hello Group,

With the help of this forum (and gunbroker.com) I was able to locate and purchase a Taurus 85 SS2UL today! I put a few rounds through it in the backyard.
+P kicks a little more than I remembered. Happy with purchase!
Next challenge ........locate Taurus 94SS2UL for practice. Thirty cents a round for .38 spl. adds up quick.......ouch!
Glad to hear it Topeka. As I mention to people far and wide, gunbroker.com (and gunsamerica to a lesser extent) is your friend.

Now we just need pics of your new purchase. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.