Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a tough time trying to conceal carry my Judge magnum with just a T-shirt.
I can do it but depending on the way I move or stand it could be seen easily. It
bulges out my pants and the grip catches on the T-shirt.

Thinking of going with a different gun. Though I could only trade my Judge in for
$350 when I paid $500 for it new.

I am thinking about getting a Ruger LC9. Very concealable, lightweight and a very
nice quality gun. 7 round mag. +1.

Although I would miss the ability to have .410 rounds in the chamber. I may keep
the Judge for hunting, hiking and an in the house defense gun.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Wear a thicker shirt. Standard tee's just don't make the trip for some guns.
The LC9 is bigger than most think. I don't know about the Pt-709, it may be something you want to look at. I have not handled one. But before you buy the LC9, take a look at Bersa's UC9.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wear a thicker shirt. Standard tee's just don't make the trip for some guns.
The LC9 is bigger than most think. I don't know about the Pt-709, it may be something you want to look at. I have not handled one. But before you buy the LC9, take a look at Bersa's UC9.
I have not handled a UC9 but seems a bit bulkier (.5 inches bigger) and a lot heavier.
Especially with an extra 4 rounds. (Which sounds better but not needed really.)

Looks like about the same price.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Get yourself a couple of those lightweight nylon fishing shirts, roll the sleeves up halfway and button them up, and wear the shirt open over your t-shirt. This is what I do in hot weather, and I can conceal any Taurus handgun that I own. Today I wore my Judge Ultralight in a belt holster under an open shirt while I mowed my lawn.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
A instructor at a LGS here will start the CCW class by disarming 8-10 various weapons from his person, one being a judge. He is tall and thin and only wearing a t-shirt and long pants. Trust me there is a way to hide that wheelie.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Get yourself a couple of those lightweight nylon fishing shirts, roll the sleeves up halfway and button them up, and wear the shirt open over your t-shirt. This is what I do in hot weather, and I can conceal any Taurus handgun that I own. Today I wore my Judge Ultralight in a belt holster under an open shirt while I mowed my lawn.
This or some Hawaiian style shirts work well to. IWB holsters keep the barrel concealed and everything closer to your body. I recommend one of the Theis or Crossbreed style holsters. If you don't want the extra T-shirt showing you can always get some of the tank top style (aka wife beaters) undershirts. I where these on hot days.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never tried carrying my Judge but I suppose it's possible. To me the Judge is a nightstand or car/truck gun. I carry an XDs, M&P Shield, or 38 snubbie when I go out. To me none of those would be as good as the Judge on the nightstand. I think every gun has a specific role to play. That being said, don't sell the Judge, just give it a new task!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I also own a Judge Magnum and like it alot, but I agree because of its size & weight its not an easy weapon to conceal carry. In fact I'd think our Judge Magnum (and any Raging Judge) would be the hardest of Taurus' 410 handguns to conceal.

The smaller-framed Public Defender (preferably an alloy Ultra-Lite or Poly) would be the best version to conceal size-wise. Or if you still want the size/barrel length of a standard Judge, find a Ultra-Lite Judge but they weren't available with the Magnum cylinder.

Amazingly per their stated weights, a standard-sized Ultra-Lite Judge is slightly lighter than either of the light-weight Public Defenders!

36.8oz - Judge Magnum 3" cylinder
29oz - Judge 2.5" cylinder
27oz - Poly PD 2.5" cylinder
26oz - Ultra-Lite Public Defender 2.5"
23oz - Poly PD Stainless 2.5" cylinder (w/ standard cylinder 27oz)
22.4oz - Ultra-Lite Judge 2.5

Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
If you want to stay ammo consistent, look into a Public Defender.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look into the kangaroo carry Air Marshal. I carry my ultra lite in one and it conceals great and is pretty comfy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I got my CC permit finally. (Had one in the past).

I can conceal it o.k. in a front inside the pants holster. It's just that
the thing is quite big and heavy. It's not exactly comfortable and to
drive I have to take it out. (Otherwise the barrel is pointed directly at
the family jewels.)

Not sure the smaller version will be any easier to carry. Does anyone
carry the smaller Judge and where? Back? Front or pants?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Public Defender Poly. I have a Protuck IWB holster by Harwell. It conceals pretty easily. With the right holster to spread the weight out and a good belt it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I am going to give up on trying to carry the huge, 38 once or so, Judge
magnum concealed.

Been looking at a Stroeger Cougar in .40 cal. but there again that is kind of a thick gun.
But lighter than the Judge.

It's hard to find a quality, light and accurate gun that you like, and that is
comfortable to you, to CC.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try the XDs in 45 ACP. it's small powerful and easy to conceal. I love mine and it's now my first choice for carry. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Winthrop makes a good leather holster that holds a PD tight against your body for a pretty good conceal.

With modern defense ammo the 380 makes a very concealable weapon.
Bersa Thunder CC compared to PD and an old Beretta 22
You may forget you're carrying and with 8 + 1 it packs a punch. Still like the PD best.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Try carrying the IWB at 3 o'clock(9 o'clock if you're a lefty). I CC a Government model 1911 IWB at 3 o'clock with no trouble at all. It weighs 42oz empty. I can sit, crouch, bend, climb, etc just fine. It is 8.5" OAL so it is .5" shorter than the PD but that isn't much. I usually wear untucked shirts to conceal it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is how I carry my pd. with no problem. And it's very comfortable . No big shirt to hide it just a tank top .

Sent from Rolo's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 30 Posts