Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both me and my wife have AZ CCW. I carry Taurus TCP all the time and I want to get my wife a carry handgun. With this I need help. My wife is a beginner when it comes to handguns. We both took all day CCW class and she shot my PT 24/7 Pro in .40. She did great! However with her being a beginner I don't think TCP is the best gun for her. Even my TCP after 50 or so rounds is clunky to chamber and I have had malfunctions with certain ammo. Not to knock the TCP, I LOVE it! The difference is that I am experienced around guns and I know how to chamber round properly and how to un-jam it if it happens. However my wife would not know what to do especially in stressful situation. With both the TCP and the 24/7 the slide remains in open position after mag is empty. If magazines were to be exchanged the slide stop is hard to release. My wife was unable to release the slide stop on my 24/7 with one finger after she changed mags, she had to use two fingers...

I am leaning towards getting her a hammer less revolver chambered to .38 special +P capable. There is about 7oz difference between revolvers chambered to .357 and .38 special! The .38+P rounds have enough stopping force. I like the revolver for her because of easy to use, won't jam and size is not crucial since she won't carry it on her person most likely in her purse or car. The main concern for her is when she closes the store she works at 10pm or later and has to walk to her car in dark parking lot.

What I don't like about the revolver is the price. in $400+ range for decent one... On the other hand TCP can be had for $220...

I would like to hear from members who has been in similar situation and what did you end up doing...

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I recently bought a M-85 UL at a LGS for 325.00 OTD. I like the little bugger and it is now my summer CC....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Under the circumstances you described, I'd opt for an Ultralight Model 85 Taurus or one of their lightweight hammerless revolvers.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
4,464 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Go with the wheelgun. Yes, NIB revolvers can be expensive, but not horribly so. New S&W J-frames are going for $370, so I can only assume that you should be able to find a new Taurus or Rossi for well under that. My wife started with a S&W 36 ($300), the Chief's Special and loved it...until she became familiar enough with guns to want something new. We picked up a Sig P238 for her and while she loves it (proper sights, an easy safety, it's pretty, etc) she was happy to start with the .38 and recommends others to do the same. If she needs a gun immediately go with whatever the budget will allow. If it can wait a few months, let her carry your TCP until you can snag her a revolver. In the meantime start packin' your .40. It's a great excuse to get a new holster ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go with the wheelgun. Yes, NIB revolvers can be expensive, but not horribly so. New S&W J-frames are going for $370, so I can only assume that you should be able to find a new Taurus or Rossi for well under that. My wife started with a S&W 36 ($300), the Chief's Special and loved it...until she became familiar enough with guns to want something new. We picked up a Sig P238 for her and while she loves it (proper sights, an easy safety, it's pretty, etc) she was happy to start with the .38 and recommends others to do the same. If she needs a gun immediately go with whatever the budget will allow. If it can wait a few months, let her carry your TCP until you can snag her a revolver. In the meantime start packin' your .40. It's a great excuse to get a new holster ;)
Good advice... I have IWB Theis holster for the .40 and its still hard to conceal and uncomfortable.. I am small build 5' 10" 170lbs about 30inch waist...

This is not a .38, but is a very good price on a hammerless .327 caliber Taurus revolver:
Taurus Matte Stainless 327 Federal Mag w/2" Barrel/Concealed $262.00 SHIPS FREE
I have NEVER seen 327magnum ammo, wtf???

I think I will talk to her as well and see what she likes. It should be her decision to some extent. She would be the one using it. Maybe we will go to shooters world and rent a few guns :)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I think I will talk to her as well and see what she likes. It should be her decision to some extent. She would be the one using it.

Maybe we will go to shooters world and rent a few guns :)
Sterling idea!

Keep us posted on what she ultimately decides on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
#1 above all else is SHE has to pick it out and feel comfortable with it.

I'm going thru the same thing with my wife.

I kinda look at guns like shoes, if they are to narrow they're gonna hurt, if they are to wide they're gonna be sloppy, if they are to short..... I think you're getting where I'm going. Not all shoes fit everyone and the same goes with guns. If it hurts or just doesn't fit it goes to the back of the closet, as it were. She has to be able to Want to shoot it in order to be effective, otherwise a brick might be a better solution.

Whatever she picks, practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more, not just trying to aim and shoot at the bullseye,but with panic like shots, chances are you'll never have the opportunity to actually be able to sight in on a BG. The most likely scenario would be a panic point and shoot.

Two things that really disturbed me was that she wouldn't have the weapon on her. Think about it, the first thing a BG is going to after is her purse or money bag, in that scenario he has both her purse and her weapon.

In the car..well what can you do then.....it's still a very deadly position to be in.

I agree with you I'd prefer a revolver for my wife,(for one thing they go bang everytime) originally the Poly Judge was for her, til we went to shoot it. It may be the way she holds it but the trigger guard bruises her knuckle. She wouldn't shoot it after that. It became my EDC because it fits me perfectly like the seats in my Jag.

One of our concerns for her, is to conceal as she carries on the job. She now carries a PT22 which she can easily carry in her suit jacket or slacks. To me it seems that the thinner a semi is the harder it is to rack the slide, esp. in a panic situation. She always carries one in the pipe so she can at least get one off in case of a malfunction. She just doesn't feel safe with it.

So far she's pretty much narrowed down to the Ruger LCR .357 using .38s or .38+P, however she hasn't shot one yet.That may change her mind.
She can easily handle the recoil on a 9mm but there is the fit and being able to conceal easily and feel comfortable to shoot if the
situation calls for it. Unfortunately there are pros and cons to both. Being able to go bang everytime is the revolvers best asset. Would I trust a semi on my life, as good as they are, no. This is only my opinion.

As far as price.....that doesn't even come into consideration when it comes to my wife's life.

I guess in all my ramblings are, it should be totally up to her what fits and she is comfortable with and has no fear of.

·
32,481 Posts
I am going to make a recommendation as this is her purchase and not yours. The gun has to meet her needs.

Here's some help fro you and her on the subject.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/bustles-bows-bullets/66127-looking-gun-my-wife.html

Please have both of you read through the entire link... including links within the link.
There is a lot of great collective advice in there.

Other advice can be found for her in the Bustles,Bows,and Bullets board. Old and new threads.

This might make things easier and less stressful all the way around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm having a hard time with this thread and didn't have time to read all the replies but this is what I just got out of reading it:

"My wife isn't capable of knowing what she likes and doesn't like so I'm asking a bunch of people who don't know anything about her to help me pick one out for her. It's a personal decision so help me out here."

Why not let her decide what she likes/wants? Did she pick yours out?

Both me and my wife have AZ CCW.
Congratulations, this is awesome!

I carry Taurus TCP all the time and I want to get my wife a carry handgun.

Very thoughtful of you, I'm sure she will appreciate it very much and it will be peace of mind for both of you.

My wife is a beginner when it comes to handguns. We both took all day CCW class and she shot my PT 24/7 Pro in .40. She did great!

There's my first recommendation then...

However with her being a beginner I don't think TCP is the best gun for her. Even my TCP after 50 or so rounds is clunky to chamber and I have had malfunctions with certain ammo. Not to knock the TCP, I LOVE it! The difference is that I am experienced around guns and I know how to chamber round properly and how to un-jam it if it happens.

Great - so you can teach her if she wants to carry a TCP. There's nothing about it that's difficult or that a 4 year old wouldn't understand. 50 rounds is nothing... run 3-400 rounds through it and it will loosen up a bit. In time she will become experienced as well, there's nothing about a TCP that makes it any more difficult than another pistol, the slide is easy to move, great trigger and the gun is built well.

However my wife would not know what to do especially in stressful situation.

Not many people do, although we 'think' we do.

With both the TCP and the 24/7 the slide remains in open position after mag is empty. If magazines were to be exchanged the slide stop is hard to release. My wife was unable to release the slide stop on my 24/7 with one finger after she changed mags, she had to use two fingers...

Don't use it, just pull the slide back slightly and release - or practice, practice, practice. Can she work the slide stop on the TCP? Has she shot the TCP? Does she like it?

I am leaning towards getting her a hammer less revolver chambered to .38 special +P capable.

She's never shot one before, but you feel this is better than something she shot well? I have a 642, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it and my wife would rather she never saw it again the rest of her life, she HATES how snappy it is.

I like the revolver for her because of easy to use, won't jam and size is not crucial since she won't carry it on her person most likely in her purse or car.

Couple things here, first - it doesn't matter what you want.

Can't jam? Yes, revolvers CAN jam and have issues, and they can be more difficult to clear than pistols.

Purse carry is the worst idea ever... what is a thief going to go for first, without her even seeing it happen - the purse. Now he has the money and her gun... not a great idea.

What I don't like about the revolver is the price. in $400+ range for decent one... On the other hand TCP can be had for $220...

You won't remember what you spent the extra $200 on a year from now, I'd like to think her life is worth the extra $200 if it's what works well for her.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent, excellent suggestions and tips! I think the best way is to take her to shooters world and see what she likes and go from there. My birthday is coming up and I can probably convince her for it to be my birthday present.

I know its bad idea to carry in her purse, but with tight clothing women wear these days, dresses, etc... It might be only option, but we will see...

She has not shot the TCP yet. Sadly we have VERY busy lives and get to do fun stuff very seldom... Thats why my TCP only had 50 rounds through it, not enough time and money to buy ammo :(

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Taco:
While everyone else (and rightly so) is trying to help with your primary question, I was struck by this in your post:
"Even my TCP after 50 or so rounds is clunky to chamber and I have had malfunctions with certain ammo. Not to knock the TCP, I LOVE it! The difference is that I am experienced around guns and I know how to chamber round properly and how to un-jam it if it happens"

First, does this clunkiness happen ONLY after the pistol is dirty/gritty from firing many rounds? If the answer to that is "No" then you should seriously think about sending it back to Taurus.
If the answer is "Yes" consider this: It is highly unlikely that either you or your wife will ever get into a gunfight that requires firing 50 or more rounds (happens to Bruce Willis all the time, but hey...)
As to revolvers - by all means take your wife to a range that rents guns and let her try a few revolvers. Those that are attractive because of their light weight can also be punishing to the hands of some people.
Also, when she is firing the revolver, make sure she does it in double action mode as this is most likely how it would be used in the suddenness of having to defend herself.

·
17,575 Posts

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
I never recommend semiautos for novices, male or female.

They can't remember the manual of arms on the range with a little performance anxiety, so they'll fail fatally on the street when the stress level pegs out.

The best advice is always a quality mid sized .38 spl. revolver.

Stick with this till their skill level and confidence increases enough to move to a smaller framed revolver.

Then, if they have the inclination, time and will to do so, move up to a semiauto and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Taco:
While everyone else (and rightly so) is trying to help with your primary question, I was struck by this in your post:
"Even my TCP after 50 or so rounds is clunky to chamber and I have had malfunctions with certain ammo. Not to knock the TCP, I LOVE it! The difference is that I am experienced around guns and I know how to chamber round properly and how to un-jam it if it happens"

First, does this clunkiness happen ONLY after the pistol is dirty/gritty from firing many rounds? If the answer to that is "No" then you should seriously think about sending it back to Taurus.
If the answer is "Yes" consider this: It is highly unlikely that either you or your wife will ever get into a gunfight that requires firing 50 or more rounds (happens to Bruce Willis all the time, but hey...)
As to revolvers - by all means take your wife to a range that rents guns and let her try a few revolvers. Those that are attractive because of their light weight can also be punishing to the hands of some people.
Also, when she is firing the revolver, make sure she does it in double action mode as this is most likely how it would be used in the suddenness of having to defend herself.
It was clunky when I first got it, I lubed it, took it shooting, then cleaned it throughout and lubed again, it is good now, but its still not as smooth as my 24/7 full size.

You might consider the M380 revolver, you can share ammo and they are a good bit more pleasant to shoot than a +P .38. Should be less than $350.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/66953-m380-range-report.html
Good idea... Sharing ammo is BIG plus!

I never recommend semiautos for novices, male or female.

They can't remember the manual of arms on the range with a little performance anxiety, so they'll fail fatally on the street when the stress level pegs out.

The best advice is always a quality mid sized .38 spl. revolver.

Stick with this till their skill level and confidence increases enough to move to a smaller framed revolver.

Then, if they have the inclination, time and will to do so, move up to a semiauto and practice, practice, practice.

Thats what I am leaning towards too, but again I want to see what she likes...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I really think the pistol your wife gets should be her Idea. My wife got her MN Permit to Carry about two months ago. When she decieded she wanted to get a pistol that was her very own I would go shopping with her and offer my opinion when asked, but even than I would make sure that she knew those were just my opinions and what ever gun she picked out would have to work for her. And what do you know she picked the gun I thought would be a good fit for her about a year ago when she first started talking about getting her PTC. By trhe way I never told her that untill after she bought it.

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
I'm with Harry (MillProGuy)...a revolver is a simple, deadly answer for someone who is newer to firearms, older and perhaps less able to work a slide, and/or may be in the fight of their lives. Point and shoot works for small digital cameras and small revolvers capable of slinging a +P 38 lethal dose of lead. No jamming issues, and if she encounters a dud round she just keeps pulling the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Let HER make the choice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts