Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to harbor freight to get a couple of belts and bought a new tumbler and 4 belts. I broke two belt right in a row I think I might be overloading it with 45's

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
Oiling the sleeve bearings on the drive rod helps a little. I went with the Platinum tumbler from Frankford Arsenal a few years back..they've come out with an even larger one now. I still have the HF dual drum for smaller runs.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran this tumbler for years then it starts breaking belts. Everything looks good with the pulleys, the only other thing I can think of is too much
weight

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I ran this tumbler for years then it starts breaking belts. Everything looks good with the pulleys, the only other thing I can think of is too much
weight
have you considered going on a diet?
I mean if you are breaking belts it may be that time to consider it?

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
weight

When I overload mine, which is not hard to do, I know it pretty much right away as the drums won't turn :( I have in turn, poured out some of the solution/brass/pins or taken one drum off and just done them one at a time. None of these are fun fixes.

Being a packrat, I still have the small electric motor from a dishwasher that I changed out a few years ago. I have dabbled in searching for DIY tumbler plans and one of these days may get around to jury rigging something...one plan used a five gallon bucket set on a 45 degree angle. Issues center around having a cover that is tight, but easily removed and installing "vanes" on the interior circumference to provide tumbling and agitation. Another utilized a 6" PVC soil pipe.

Maybe we need a sticky in reloading for tumbler ideas and offerings?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
When I overload mine, which is not hard to do, I know it pretty much right away as the drums won't turn :( I have in turn, poured out some of the solution/brass/pins or taken one drum off and just done them one at a time. None of these are fun fixes.

Being a packrat, I still have the small electric motor from a dishwasher that I changed out a few years ago. I have dabbled in searching for DIY tumbler plans and one of these days may get around to jury rigging something...one plan used a five gallon bucket set on a 45 degree angle. Issues center around having a cover that is tight, but easily removed and installing "vanes" on the interior circumference to provide tumbling and agitation. Another utilized a 6" PVC soil pipe.

Maybe we need a sticky in reloading for tumbler ideas and offerings?
Well the HF tumbler has a limit of 3 lbs total per drum. At some point I started to push the envelope on that. I recently ordered a new motor on eBay.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
Well the HF tumbler has a limit of 3 lbs total per drum. At some point I started to push the envelope on that. I recently ordered a new motor on eBay.:rolleyes:
Tell me about it. I got to thinking too much and decided that putting an ounce of mineral spirits into my walnut media would cut carbon better and faster. The rubber gaskets swelled up from the solvent and wouldn't create an adequate seal...the drums were OK however. I had to purchase two new cover gaskets off EBay...

Reactions: darbo and TonyC2639

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
The dual drum can handle 3 lbs per drum max or 6 lbs total. depending on how you load the drums, you can stay just under the 6 lb mark or only run 1 drum at capacity of nearly 5 lbs and install the second drum as a spacer. The more weight you have however puts a bigger strain on the belt. if you constantly run near or at capacity, you'll wear out belts faster.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Mean while down in the La-Bor-A- Tory the tumbler thats like 9-10 years old still wobbles along making a vibratory noise and cleans brass just fine for me.
no belts , no mixing chemicals and water, no drying.

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
You can definitely overload it with wet pins. :D I had to experiment to get the load that would work. I only use one tumbler, the other one is empty. But, it only takes an hour or two to have bright, shiny, like new brass regardless of how dirty it goes in. :D

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
Mine would all be nested inside one another.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts