Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After asking questions I bought the dillon 550 and supplies. I finally got a bench built and mounted the reloader. Loaded 100 rounds and off to the range. Everything went well and the reloaded ammo functioned perfectly and was very accurate. I figureit cost me about 4.30 a box to reload my own. 2.40 for 50 bullets, 1.20 for the primers, and .70 for powder. This is about one third of the best price I found on 40 sw cartridges in my area. I was worried about leading as I loaded hard cast bullets but after getting home and looking hard at the bore and running a couple of cloths through it there was no apparent leading. All in all I am very pleased I decided to start reloading my own ammo. :) Thanks to all who offered me advice and guided me in the right direction.
Harry

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Good for you, harryk. I also have the 550b machine. It's
a great reloader. When I shoot lead ammo, I finish up with
shooting several jacketed rounds. I learned that it helps to
"get the lead out!" :D

Have fun with your Dillon! :)

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
Congratulations on successful loading and shooting your reloads!

I own and operate a Dillon XL650. Dillon makes wonderful machines! The main task you have now will be keeping it fed with Reloading Components! Enjoy!

As for removing lead from the bore, I recommend and use thick patches with Noxon7 Metal Polish/Cleaner over a Nylon Bore Brush. It will remove Copper, Carbon, and Lead very easily. When done remove the remnant Noxon7 with a water soaked patch followed by drying patches.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey jwc007, where do they sell that Noxon7 stuff?
I'd like to try that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's a metal polish and metal polishes usually have abrasive grit in them. I don't know if I'd be running that stuff down the bore. Could prematurely wear it down some.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
PTDOUDE said:
It's a metal polish and metal polishes usually have abrasive grit in them. I don't know if I'd be running that stuff down the bore. Could prematurely wear it down some.
Thanks for that info on the polish. It's definitely food for thought!

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
As for Noxon7 Metal Polish/Cleaner, it is available in most well stocked, and even some poorly stocked, Hardware stores and Department Stores. The locaL Ace Hardware and Mennards have it. Comes in a Green Bottle.

Noxon7 is not very abrasive and will not ruin your barrel. It's cleaning power comes from it's creamed Ammonia content. Use with adequate ventalation. I don't use it all the time with jacketed handgun bullets (every 500 rounds or so), but I have with cast handgun bullets and it hurt nothing.

·
Super Moderator
35,007 Posts
Dillons are well built machines and the customer service has to be experienced to be believed. You made a GREAT choice and sounds like you're crankin' 'em out now. :D Have fun and think safety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 650 and can't wait to get it set up. I'll be moving my bench into a spare room upstairs this weekend and then I'll be spending the weekend playing with my new toy.

Enjoy your Dillon

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
nwsalmon, just you wait til you start using that Dillon.
You won't believe the performance! I myself have the 550B.
Wonderful machines, those Dillons! :) ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts