Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get to know the local shooting community? I'm not asking for a tutorial - this is more of a survey of your habits. Do you visit local gun stores and ranges. I've seen plenty of messages on how ticked off gun shop owners and staff get about know-it-alls coming into the shop and wasting their time. What have you done to build relationships without wearing out your welcome? Do you think it's appropriate to hang out at the range or a local gun shop? How do shop and range staff react? Has it helped you build community with other shooters?
Coypu

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It has been especially hard to maintain any real relationships with LGS personnel lately. They are all running around like chickens with their heads cut off, for good reason. They don't want to hire new people because this will not last forever so they need to work like crazy. I fear now that everything but slingshots are illegal here in CT, it will slow down FAST and they will be more than willing to chew the fat again.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I am not the face to face social type. I go get what I need and head back to my house..The less time interacting with morons the better off I am.. I like the internet because I can turn it off and walk away.. Not what you were looking fore...;)

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I'm pretty much a loner when it comes to shooting. Really that pretty much applies to everything else too, outside of the immediate family. I have a low tolerance for humans. I prefer the company of dogs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm pretty much a loner when it comes to shooting. Really that pretty much applies to everything else too, outside of the immediate family. I have a low tolerance for humans. I prefer the company of dogs.
Boy, I hear THAT. I like dogs WAY better than I do most people I know. Maybe I just know the wrong people. My dog (and wife!!) are always welcome to ride in my pickup.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Gun ranges are a little different, I wish we still had one in Lubbock, other than the one old dilapidated indoor range. If I had a gun shop, it would have an area with three tables with four chairs each and a full coffee pot, and occasional pizzas.

My last favorite gun shop only had one table, and I occasionally paid for a pizza myself, but he sold out. I met a lot of nice folks there, regulars....perhaps they did not buy all that much.

I can't help but think that "Lonestar Jake's Gun Shop, Range, Pizzeria and Home for Wayward Girls" would be a super place!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Man am I glad to hear you say that. You just described me to a tee. I used to think I was the only one that felt this way and there must be something wrong with me. Maybe I'm not the only one who prefers dogs to humans after all.

hatchet

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
At gun shops or gun ranges these days, I don't bother the staff unless I need to see something behind the counter or need an answer to a question.

I have seen one of the pestering know-it-alls in one shop one time. He was sucking up vast amounts of staff time, which sucked up vast amounts of people's time that really needed staff help.

Back to gun ranges, the one I grew up going to was real down home with basic deer camp style tables and chairs inside the range house. It was a welcome place for all the shooters and hunters to tell stories. I was a bit on the young side to have anything to share, but the environment was open to all. That range has changed up with the passing of manager and urban sprawl.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
How do you get to know the local shooting community? I'm not asking for a tutorial - this is more of a survey of your habits. Do you visit local gun stores and ranges. I've seen plenty of messages on how ticked off gun shop owners and staff get about know-it-alls coming into the shop and wasting their time. What have you done to build relationships without wearing out your welcome? Do you think it's appropriate to hang out at the range or a local gun shop? How do shop and range staff react? Has it helped you build community with other shooters?
Coypu
At my lgs the know-it-alls work behind the counter, and they're happy to demonstrate their knowledge* even if you don't ask for it.

Sure are a lot of social misfits here. :p (I'm on the list, too. :D) Someone once said "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

*And by "knowledge," I mean ignorance.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I never had made good friends or buddies at the gun store or gun ranges. While I do chat with people in both venues, we don't exchange contact information or schedule to meet at the range. Instead, I rely on my friends, co-workers, and family to talk guns or check guns out at stores, or go shooting.

Also, thanks to this Forum, Texastaurusguy and I have gone to the Bullet Trap in Plano a couple times. I hope that we can do this again, soon.

Reactions: Snug9mm

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I haven't been going to my main LGS much lately. First I don't have any money to spend there. Second they won't let me shoot my reloads at their small indoor range. I do drop in from time to time just jaw with the guys a bit. Generally on a weekday morning they aren't very busy so I don't feel bad about taking a bit of their time. They are pretty good guys and fun to commiserate with.

My most frequent stop these days in the reloading supply store (no guns). The woman that is most often behind the counter is real nice and I like to chat with her but I don't take a lot of her time. I just look to see if they have received any supplies, exchange some pleasantries with her and leave. This business is actually a remanufactured ammo company. The retail part of their business is about 16'x16' room.

With my restricted shooting these days I don't get to the outdoor range that often either. The ROs are good guys and easy to engage in conversation. I can spend as much as 5 or 6 hours there but spend the vast majority of the time shooting and fiddling with stuff.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Boy, I hear THAT. I like dogs WAY better than I do most people I know. Maybe I just know the wrong people. My dog (and wife!!) are always welcome to ride in my pickup.
Dog is man's best friend next to your wife if you happen to be that lucky.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I love hangin' out in gun stores. I enjoy talking shop, listening actually, and the joking around. As well as checking the latest gear.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Most Gun Clubs host matches or other informal competitions You can participate in for a small fee such as IDPA, USPSA, 3 Gun, Turkey Shoots, Steel Challenge etc. it's a good way to meet People with similar interests.

Steel Challenge is probably the best to get involved with because You can shoot it with a .22, new shooters are always welcome but You probably won't see too many Gun Store Commandos at these events because their vast knowledge of Firearms and Tactics is usually invalidated be their lack of skill.

A Google search can usually turn up Clubs in Your area that host matches, try several differnt keyword searches and You should find something within a reasonable driving distance.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
No. Not any more. Lately it has been too busy to hang out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
At my lgs the know-it-alls work behind the counter, and they're happy to demonstrate their knowledge* even if you don't ask for it.

Sure are a lot of social misfits here. :p (I'm on the list, too. :D) Someone once said "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

*And by "knowledge," I mean ignorance.
Mark Twain said that: "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."
Google is a wonderful thing...

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I'm extremely fortunate in that I "am" that lucky. We recently celebrated 30 years. I've spent (invested!!) half my life with my wife.
Me too, we hit 30 years last June which is 53.6% of my life. But the dog's only been around a little less than half as long.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Unless I'm planning on visiting the LGS' to make an immediate purchase, I usually just meander through to see what they have
in stock. Occasionally, if they're not busy, I'll make some small talk, and find out if they have anything I might be interested in
expected soon. At the range, I tend to keep to myself unless it's to ask about spent brass :)

To be honest, the most "gun related" socializing I've done lately is at Walmart, waiting for the ammo delivery to be brought out
from the stockroom.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts