Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of good handgun training courses in Eastern PA (Allentown-Easton-Bethlehem area)? My parents are looking into getting a handgun for home protection, and would like to take a course that teaches them solid basics of handling/shooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Hondo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robby, never even thought to look there, in the most obvious of places too...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You can check your local range too. They often have instructors they recommend, and sometimes do classes there.

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
There are also lots of DVD's you can get, sometimes from your range or gun dealer, on this subject. This might be easier for them depending on their age. And you could watch it with them and answer questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or pull my hair out... ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
Please please have them practice at a good range most classes just don't in my opinion give the person confidence in the use of a handgun or the expireence to defend the house from an intruder. I have spent days at the range teaching people that are good rifle shots that couldn't
hit a target 7yrds away with a handgun. Make sure they have a plan just like a fire drill as to where everyone needs to be and what they are supposed to do ie call police take a defenceive position if possible. My wife and grown children know how to shoot and were to be. And they know what I'm going to do so no one gets shot by accident.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice, 45 Forever, they definitely need to practice often, to improve and build upon their skills. However I think they'll feel safer with it if an "expert" (and i use the term loosely in some cases) gives them some tips and pointers prior to them purchasing, or immediately following the purchase of a handgun. Also, the NRA classes are 10 hours of training, including time at a range, and that's just the basic handgun class. I do need to find them a good public range here in the Lehigh Valley where they'll feel comfortable, and can get help/advice when it's needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
sounds like you got a good plan you can't go wrong on NRA courses pluse they probably have fallow up courses to take to. i've used Gunsite training videos and find them to be top notch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll definitely check those out. Might be a good "first gun present" i could get them, so they'd also have something they could reference at home, and watch and take those principles with them to the range. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
While nothing substitutes hands on training, you might want to check out a DVD series the NRA has. It is called NRA American Rifleman Valhalla Advance Personal Defense. Though I've looked a couple of different times, I'll be darned if I can find where to purchase videos on the NRA.org site. If you are interested, post here and I'll dig a little deeper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts