Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading through the other thread about volunteering CCW ID during a stop, and started wondering. If the LEO asks for your handgun in order to secure it during a stop, do you drop the mag and clear the chamber before handing it over or not? From a safety point of view, I would think clearing everything first would be proper but I could also see problems from the LEO's point of view about you "messing" with a loaded handgun in his presence.
I don't even have my CCW yet but trying to think ahead and outside the box. BUT, maybe I am just overthinking things?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
After you inform the officer of the fact you are carrying and where it is located, ask them "How would you like me to proceded?" Whatever they say, do that... slowly and calmly. You will be fine. Most LEO will be put at ease by you being forthcoming, calm and cooperative and comfortably explain how to move forward.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
After you inform the officer of the fact you are carrying and where it is located, ask them "How would you like me to proceded?" Whatever they say, do that... slowly and calmly. You will be fine. Most LEO will be put at ease by you being forthcoming, calm and cooperative and comfortably explain how to move forward.
I agree. Ask them how they want to handle it.

Reactions: silverblackman

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ask them how to handle it.if its not a Glock, tell them "its not a Glock like yours, do you need some help there?"

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Agreed. Once you've let them know, it's their call.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
What he said. And don't give them any snide remarks, like, "it's not a glock like yours, do you need some help there"?
Like Joshnix suggested, just tell them where it's located, keep your hands up by the wheel in plain sight, and ask how they would like to proceed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I agree with most here. Follow the officers directions and no more. When you are allowed to move, move slowly and surely. I would also ask if his directions didn't tell me to clear the weapon if he would like me to clear the weapon before handing it to him.
PS....I am sure most of you clear your weapon before handing to another to look at or handle. I usually leave the slide open or if a revolver the cylinder swung open.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
First and foremost, keep your hands on the steering wheel after you hand over your license and permit. Just follow whatever the LEO tells you. I would not give any suggestions or instructions.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
After you make it clear that you plan to comply, I would ask the officer if he wants the gun as-is, or if he wants you to clear it first. If the gun has a safety, and it is on, I don't see an issue with just handing it to him.....but then again if it is a 1911, there might be some anxiety with handing over a cocked and locked gun. So ask him how he would like the gun presented.

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
I agree. Ask them how they want to handle it.
Also, in North Carolina, your CCW permit number is the same as your drivers license number. When they run your plate, they know whether or not you (the driver) have a CCW permit.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Trust me, I know a lot of LEOs in Alabama and Florida. Do what I posted earlier. A good way to piss off a LEO after a traffic stop is giving him suggestions or telling him how to do his/her job. You let the LEO know your armed when you give them your license, registration and CCW (I would do it even if it is not required out of respect). Say nothing and just answer the questions they ask you. If they want you to disarm, ask them how. Just follow whatever instructions you are given and there are no mistakes.

I have only been stopped once (not my fault) and I had my license, CCW, and registration out in my hand and both hands on the steering wheel at 11 and 1 oclock. Officer came to my open window and asked for my license and registration which I had in hand and I gave it to him. He looked at my CCW which was also handed to him and he asked where my weapon was. I told him on my left hip in a holster. He then told me why he pulled me over...yada, yada...(I was in the right which he admitted) and said thank you for letting me know you were carrying, gave me back my info and I was on my way.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
I would follow officers directions. Since I pocket carry I would be very uncomfortable having him remove the gun, however I would leave it up to him and politely inform him it was hot and has no safety.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also, in North Carolina, your CCW permit number is the same as your drivers license number. When they run your plate, they know whether or not you (the driver) have a CCW permit.
The important thing to know is that, in NC, you are required by law to inform any officer who interacts with you officially that you are carrying. Not necessary if you are just exchanging pleasantries in a donut shop. But if he has pulled you over, you have to tell him.

·
Registered
606 Posts
what if you have a carry permit, but are not carrying at the time???

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
They will instruct you, most likely exit the vehicle and they will take over.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I actually like that, shows you went through a background check and they are not approaching a crack head.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As a LEO, i agree with the majority who said, after you inform him, ask how he wants to proceed, and follow his instructions.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
When you hand over your licenses(pistol & drivers) to the officer, & if/when he asks you where the firearm is located, you tell him where it's located.
Do not offer to clear the pistol; do not touch the pistol. Just politely ask him how he would like to proceed, & comply with his instructions.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I didn't see where it was brought up, so I will ask. What if you are driving while open carry? How would you handle the initial contact?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts