Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what taurus gun that is still available, made of steel, and capable of good rugged use in the field for hunting can you recommend for a person who has an off hand that cant take alot of physical punishment at the time due to medical issues?

Id lik to hunt deer, and possibly bear here in michigan if i got lucky enough for a bear permit. As far as caliber everybody seems to be pointing me towards .41 and .44.

Im hoping on a single action revolver, but from what ive read i dont want to risk anything with a .45 colt unless i could load it up a little stouter then factory ammunition, and well im not goign to be able to reload for quite some time. Any suggestions from the taurus lineup on possibly good guns?
So far im thinking raging bull or the big M44 in good old 44 magnum for now.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
The Raging Bull 357 would be a good choice for both 357 and 44 magnum - but anything you hunt bear with is going to kick like a mule - and you'd want it to, because if the slug doesn't go through, you've got one pissed off bear. A 44 mag would be the basement, the absolute lowest power load I'd ever consider for shooting a bear with.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
My M66 is quite accurate and in .357 is powerful enough. I've taken several deer with the .357, good stopper, but limited to 75 or so yards. I'd want a 6" barrel version. Heavier the gun, the less the recoil, but I don't find recoil bad in the 66. I hunt with Blackhawks, though. I like single actions in the field, especially specifically for hunting..

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The Raging Bulls are not made in .357 Magnum. Only .44 Mag and .454 Casull at this time. :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The Raging Bulls are not made in .357 Magnum. Only .44 Mag and .454 Casull at this time.
Yep no .357mag Raging Bull....but you can get one in .41mag! they used to make .480 and .500 models but they have been discontinued, same with .30 carabin IIRC.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
For the purposes you describe I'd go with a Raging Bull in .44 Magnum. They're capable of handing .44 Mag +P+ ammo as well.

·
Registered
959 Posts
+1 on the .44MAG... Thats the starting point for Bear...

·
Registered
96 Posts
i gotta agre on the 41 or 44 mag. taurus. one thing that'll help is they are ported.
if you get one in 44 mag 6" and scope it felt recoil will be reduced. other advantage is you can shoot 44 specials in the same gun. the only thing is you have to give the cylinder a good cleaning after shooting 44s.

i believe the 45 colt loaded with 8 1/2 grs of unique will kill any mi black. recoil very manageable.where abouts in michigan are you. i'm near the metro detroit area.
what about a 44 rifle? dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
What you should have for the hunting you do varies with the style of hunting you employ. If your bear is shot from a tree stand you could probably get away with a 357Mag. If you shoot your bear as a target of opportunity while on the ground deer hunting you might want to be holding at least a 41 or 44 Mag as the bullet is heavier and the hole is bigger. In a perfectly ordered world the bear will drop at the shot, if it doesn't, you want all the power you can muster as an adrenaline filled bear is harder to stop than one shot unsuspecting foul play. Another factor is just how competent you are with your gun. If you are accurate and capable of a speedy follow up shot you are better prepared for the chance that the first round is less than effective. The size of the bear and distance to target will also be a factor in how effective your choice of caliber is. For deer, with proper shot placement, the 22 long rifle has been employed to great effect. It is however, quite illegal. Out to 75 yards the 357 should drop any deer if the shot is accurate. What it all boils down to is that there is no one right answer, you have to pick a gun and then tailor your style of hunting to the limits of your choice.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Here's an important question, How much weight can you lift with that good hand? If you can lift the raging bull then go with it. However Thompson center makes excellent sing shot pistols in a myriad of calibers that can do the job, and you can get compensated barrels that will tame the recoil. Follow up shots however are slow. But you can also get a taurus M44 which is a little smaller than the raging bull with a compensated barrel and that is what I hunted with last year. It all depends on what you can lift and aim with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seeing as you say you can't take a lot of punishment due to medical problems. I would go with the Raging Bull in a six inch barrel as it is magna ported and for that reason only it should fit the bill as the magna porting takes away at leasst 60% of the recoil.

If you go with anything else like a single action I would recommend that you have it Magna ported with one of the magna porting systems as with your stated medical condition I don't think you could handle one without the modification. I don't have a medical condition other than Carpo Tunnel, but when I did own an non ported 44 it tore my wrist up every time I shoot it, but with the Taurus 44 with magna porting it's a pleasure to shoot. That is what I'm basing my recomendation on is my personal experience with the two differient 44's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts