Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Hand-to-Hand Skills to compliment your CCW?

3K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  Lil Beaver 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if any member have pursued any hand-to-hand training to add to their armament of personal protection techniques. If you have anything to share on this topic I'd be very greatful. I'm a little guy at 5'8" and 160 lbs so I'd be concerned in a situation where I might need to deploy my firearm that I could easily be overwhelmed by a larger adversary. Not to mention the long list of places and situations where I cannot legally... Plus, learning some of these skills might also be a fun way to spend some evenings and make some new friends. Who knows?

Reactions: ozzy
#27 · (Edited)
I believe in having "hand to hand" options all the time. I can't run because of a bad knee and most martial arts require great balance. I always carry one or more knives I can get to fast for this reason, but in situations where I can't carry these I carry a ball point pen, it can be an effective weapon and in many cases mightier than the sword because the neck, armpits, and eyes are very soft tissue and a 4 inch ball point pen made of anything but cheap plastic and with a thin diameter will penetrate deep enough to slow or even stop an attack cold. I carry a Parker Vector series pen and a few times have used it as a weapon. One time I was in a pool hall in Toledo, and this 6'6 black guy got mad because I beat him at the game and he came at me and Knocked me down and I dropped my knife, so I grabbed the pen and stabbed him in the neck and then jabbed the pen in his under arm and sent him to the hospital, I lost the pen to police evidence, but hey a $4 pen is cheaper then an ER visit or a funeral. My point is anything with a point can do as much damage as a bullet if its well placed. I would go to Wal-Mart and pick a nice pen(not cheap ass plastic) and practice grabbing it out of your pocket and gripping it hard enough to stab with it in the soft areas I mentioned and always carry one with you, it also comes in handy for signing things and writing down a license plate number if you have too. Ofcourse this is only a close quarter measure and the BG would have made it into the 3ft mark, I mean if you can delfect him back enough to draw your side arm do it, but if this isn't an option I'd say go for the pen you might even be a few seconds faster with a light wieght pointed object. If all else fails RUN like your life depends on it cuz it probably does lol... I was trained to use the pen by a Navy Seal who now trains FBI cadets the same CQC tactics at Quantico, VA. He was my Dads best freind for 20 years. Now most people would use a Kane or something that has some reach, but why carry something that can slow you down and point to a weakness... Also most BGs would underestimate the pen and it would be a huge mistake on their part... You could also stab them with the pen, then shoot them when they scream in pain and are distracted with removing it...

#30 ·
In an "armed" encounter my goal is to use my training to create distance. I took a defensive shooting class once where we unloaded our guns, everyone checked everyone elses, and then went about class.....during the day long classroom portion, one of the instructors would attack one of the students at some point...till everyone got attacked. It was the students goal to draw, aim and fire before being overwhelmed....sometimes two instructors would attack one pupil....it ws to demostrate the lack of time and space you have in such situations....
Some people passed, most failed.
I got in trouble, naturally, as when I was attacked, from directly in front (not that that happens often) at really close distance, I thrust kicked the instructor ( not full throttle) hard enough in the chest to move him back 6-8 feet, then drew.
It worked. They told me I was not supposed to do that though....didn't make sense to me. :)

Creating distance and avoiding trouble is step 1, 2, 3, 4.....only active defense is step 5, and then it must be overwhelming.

C

#32 ·
I agree, AE. I'm looking for practical application. I'm not interested in a lot of theory or attaining belts. Although I'm into theoretical principles about all kinds of subjects, that's not my primary objective here.

#33 ·
Two words - krav maga

If personal self defense is something you really want to learn, there is no better discipline IMHO. I'm lucky to have training just a mile away...and haven't even started due to time constraints, but if you can find it in your area, look into it.

#34 ·
There are plenty of good training tapes/ DVD's from the better self protection schools that will give those that do not have access to schools at least something to start with but practice even with your wife can vastly increase both your chances of survival.

By the way the worst fight I ever got in I won by a large margin and I could not get out of bed for two days he went to the hospital. Think your being attacked by a werewolf and fight dirty using a pen, comb, keys, or anything you can get your hands on. Remember your fighting for your life as they most certainly are.

This is a great thread as we have all degrees of professionals here plus new folks that need to know what to expect. Lets keep it going. And thanks to all that have experience.

#39 ·
You made some very good comments sir. When or if you find yourself in such a situation have only one thought "KILL OR BE KILLED" AND DO NOT HESITATE TO USE WHATEVER IS AVAILABLE TO THAT END BE IT A SET OF KEYS, A PEN, KNIFE, BOTTLE, CANE, A PIECE OF PIPE DON'T HESITATE USE IT!

#35 ·
You should train in proper CQB self defense tactics for your weapon, not necessarily an unarmed martial art. You can keep your weapon from being taken, isn't that hard. Smaller the weapon, the easier to retain it, too.

Me, I'm turning 60 this year. While I'm still 6 ft, 210, I am not getting any more nimble and don't wish to go hand to hand with some kid, let alone some kid that's 6'5" or something. I carry a primary (pocket 9mm usually), a back up weak side pocket (NAA .22, great contact weapon) and a small can of pepper spray weak side pocket. Hell, pepper spray 'em and you can do all kinds of kung fu back spins on 'em and they'll never see it comin'. You, too, can impress your friends. :D

Reactions: tcox4freedom
#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Something as simple as not taking any stuff and having a sharp pencil behind your ear and a backup in my shirt pocket can be an advantage. Plenty of time to get the other lead poison out. When I moved to Nevada they didn't have CCW back then and I had two perps try to truck jack me "work truck full of goodies" I pulled a knife and engaged them and they ran away, I reversed the role and I was the aggressor.

#37 ·
At my stage of life ( over 65 ) I figure there is nothing so important to see or do that would cause me to get into "Mob Scene" such as you describe, too often many of those attending are also pretty well soaked with booze and that my friend is a situation to avoid if at all possible. Is a "Mob scene show" worth risking your life and saftey as well as your families just for some entertainment? JMHO

This is the same reason I avoid all highway roadside rest areas even in the daytime and especially at night. Too often they are prime spots for drug deals. I will admit that there have been times when we could not avoid these areas, but when we pulled in we both had guns in hand with a short shotty close at hand and if things didn't look right we just drove right on through without stopping. When we do stop one remains in the vehicle while the other one attains a secure position to observe the entire area before the one in the car gets out. We always look for a solid backstop wide enough to prevent anyone from coming around the corner and being within at least 15 or twenty feet of us. Personally I believe that highway rest areas are one of the most dangerous areas that travelers face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.