Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any member have pursued any hand-to-hand training to add to their armament of personal protection techniques. If you have anything to share on this topic I'd be very greatful. I'm a little guy at 5'8" and 160 lbs so I'd be concerned in a situation where I might need to deploy my firearm that I could easily be overwhelmed by a larger adversary. Not to mention the long list of places and situations where I cannot legally... Plus, learning some of these skills might also be a fun way to spend some evenings and make some new friends. Who knows?

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
561 Posts
Distance is your friend. If a situation doesn't feel right then it isn't. If your opponent can't stand, see or breath he cannot fight hit soft tissue repeatedly then run like hell. Act like you belong where ever that may be. If you feel someone behind you take two quick steps forward before you turn. Never use bare knuckles use the palm of your hand or extended thumbs, less of a chance to transfer bodily fluids. Hit eyes, throat, chest and balls and knees do not hit the mouth. Unless you practice DO NOT kick higher then the balls.It is much easier to damage feet and knees then balls. Unless you practice kicking is a liability. keep both feet on the ground and stay moving. Always assume your opponent has a friend. As soon as you have an out take it and run. My last Martial Arts instructor was a Wonderful old Chinese Gentleman that taught self defence. I have used most of these techniques and they work! The last and most important thing is, You must commit 100% to fight like hell or don't even try.

I felt compelled to also explain that presence of mind and body are as important as learning any one form of Martial Arts. Never stop thinking, never stop moving, never trust any one around you. Assume that if anybody that is attacting you is trying to kill you turn off you emotions. Now when you learn how to do that let me know.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'm old...but that being set aside, I suffered a stroke last summer...:(

...so "avoidance" and "distance" will have to the main things I rely upon other than my self-defense gun(s).:D

Reactions: Lil Beaver and ozzy

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I'm a big guy but I'm too old to run and too crippled up with arthritus and copd to fight. My reflexes are still good and I have enough street smarts to keep myself out of most situation where I could get hurt. I carry for the situations where I can't control.

Reactions: Lil Beaver and ozzy

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I'm to old, fat and crippled up to fight or run, if I was threatened and in fear of my life I'll just shoot the SOB.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
If for some reason you can't get your gun out hit with your open hand thumb and forefinger to the throat as hard as possible, he will drop like a pansy ass. I have done this twice in my life.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I don't see any ropes or referees, on the street ANYTHING is fair game. I've taken martial arts lessons in my younger days, wrestled in high school, and have enough street smarts to think fast on my feet. Luckily being 6'0", 240 lbs. helps to dissuade most people from coming at me in a hand-to-hand situation. But should an event require me to bypass my weapon(s) because of distance, i have no problem making the decision to fight my way to safety.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Hand to hand skills are always good to have. Some well place nerve strikes can give you the time to get away, or get to your well placed weapon.

Remember that anytime an attacker gets within that 7 yard zone the chances that you will be gravely hurt go up rapidly.

I will quote Stickbow Distance is your friend.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who replied. Sure, distance is our friend and all that "jazz" but sometimes the situation makes it difficult to maintain comfortable distances. For example, I recently took my family to down town Detroit to see Monster Truck Jam at Ford Field. It's a crowded, downtown/urban setting after dark. With my wife a two young kids, I'll admit that at times I was distracted from surveying my surroundings, as I made keeping track of everyone my first priority. That night it occurred to me that as much as we try to keep distance and scan diligently for potential threats there are situations where someone could easily be on top of you quickly. Add to all that the fact that I could not legally carry in that venue (or even carry a knife) and I realized that I'd really like to develop some unarmed skills.

Thanks, 45, for your specific suggestions. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll see if I can get some training locally. Sounds like a fun way to spend a night or two during the week. I know a little about Krav Maga from the show "Human Weapon" that used to air either on History or Discovery. You've got me curious to do some research.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
The reason I mentioned those two was they are for defending yourself against a much greater opponent and the basics can give you enough to distance yourself from a attacker or more then one. But please don't think one or two lessons will make you James Bond. It takes years to master either of these techniques. But many cities are offering beginning self defense classes that teach just enough to escape. Look near collages they often offer anti rape or mugging classes. Good luck. And always be aware.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not for nothing, but many people can't effectively even throw a punch. I say you take up some boxing, depending on your age and physical ability. Basic boxing skills are essential , IMHO, to any man's existence. I've trained in some basic boxing, muay thai, No-gi Brazilian Ju Jitsu and wrestling. I want to train in Judo. I believe it to be a great martial art for self defense.

In situations where i can carry a knife, i do.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
hand to hand is very affective but must be practiced regularly or don't try unless you have no option. 25 yrs. ago i was very good in martial arts but have not trained or practiced in years so i wouldn't even try. like others have stated try to keep distance, even at 21 ft a attacker could most likely be on you before you could draw your concealed weapon, so don't let carrying concealed give you a false sense of security.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I myself study Shotokan Karate. It not only benefits one in terms of discipline and application of physical skill, having hand to hand training affords you options in case of an off-the wall assault on your person.

What I mean by off the wall is this.We cannot anticipate the precise skill level of our potential assailant. A criminal who attacks you can hardly be expected to fight fair, and while we must endeavor to keep situational awareness of our surroundings all it takes is one instant. Inside of 21 feet drawing down is not a practical response if the criminal is in a running sprint to attack you, and assuming you get your pistol out of the holster and on target the bad guy will not simply lie down and quit once he or she has been shot. If an attacker gets close enough you can and WILL be disarmed, and having options besides running in fear from a perp who has taken your gun from you would be a good skill for any citizen to possess.

Having hand to hand combat training is a good thing to posses in general. You cannot be armed in all places, and one must be able to handle themselves should an armed felon accost a citizen at the Post Office or Federal building.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
I took several types of Martial arts and have worked out with knives for 35 years. But the real training came as a bouncer at a Biker bar with much blood and swelling. Nothing can produce the real thing and few people get the opportunity to get in there and really go at it. Until you have survived that a couple of times get out of the way FAST!!!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Gun fighters gospel break contact, create distance, get your front site on target. Anything that lets you do that is good.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Specifically to your question ... the martial arts, boxing, and especially the wrestling skills mentioned above are all excellent. I believe that based on your size you might want to explore Wing Chun. It is one of the fasted learned martial arts, and designed for those small of stature (a female nun is credited with the style). It is not fancy, straight punches, low kicks, and no Hollywood moves. It was the first martial art taught to Jet Lee, Bruce Lee, and Jackie Chan. NFL linemen use "Chi Sao" (sticky arms) to control the movement of the opposing line man. It is a soft style, meaning it utilizes deflecting your opponent's strikes rather than blocking them; Turning the direction of their attack away from you, while centering you to your opponent to continually attack them.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Well as a 15 year Karate instructor yes there are ways to hold off an attacker while you draw a gun. Now a 5'8" 160 lb man or woman with a bit of training can knock out a 225 lb man so you are hardly small. My best tips with out someone training you is the best defense is a good offense. By that I mean keep a safe distance at all times between you an them. I also suggest you always be aware of my surroundings and distance at all times from any possible threat. Now their is no defense against the element of surprise other than don't be surprised.

Reactions: tcox4freedom
1 - 20 of 39 Posts