Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the 5-rd and 7-rd 357 revolvers. When doing a search at Bud's Gun Shop, I see that they had listed (at one time, but now out of stock) concealed-hammer 617s in blue (617CHB2) and stainless (617CHSS2).

I've been leaning towards the 617s for the extra capacity, though I'm a bit concerned about concealability vs the 650s. The Taurus site makes no mention of a hamerless 617, as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any experience with the hammerless 7 rounders? Were they pulled off the market by Taurus? If so, why? Anywhere they can still be found? I'm thinking that a hammerless 7-rd 357 would be the best of all worlds (at least for me).

Thanks in advance for any input. Working nights, so it's off to bed...

John

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
jgorniak said:
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the 5-rd and 7-rd 357 revolvers. When doing a search at Bud's Gun Shop, I see that they had listed (at one time, but now out of stock) concealed-hammer 617s in blue (617CHB2) and stainless (617CHSS2).

I've been leaning towards the 617s for the extra capacity, though I'm a bit concerned about concealability vs the 650s. The Taurus site makes no mention of a hamerless 617, as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any experience with the hammerless 7 rounders? Were they pulled off the market by Taurus? If so, why?
Anywhere they can still be found? I'm thinking that a hammerless 7-rd 357 would be the best of all worlds (at least for me).

Thanks in advance for any input. Working nights, so it's off to bed...

John
It's all about sales volume. Taurus® throws a gajillion models & types into the marketplace every year and only a few of them stick. Taurus® makes very few hammerles (CH) models of late. You'll have to find a used one to get what you want.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Actually Taurus list 4 hamerless models of the 617 ( 617CHB, 617CHBC,617CHSS,617CHSSC) but all have been discontinued. Just did a quick google and didn't see any of these discontinued models for sale. Ask your local dealer. I bet someone somewhere has one for sale.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Actually today, Davidson's has for sale, two dif models of the 617.

Taurus M617 357 REV 2B FS 7RD 4
Taurus M617 357 REV 2SS FS 7RD 5

But of course, no Hammerless!! Maybe the NIB pipeline is empty. So your down to auction sites to find one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may consider purchasing a model with hammer & having the hammet spur removed, there are a couple on Gunbroker.com under $300.00. I sometimes carry my 617 in a Crossbreed IWB holster, never had a snagging problem in practice, who knows what real life situation would be like?? Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping to carry in a pocket holster. I usually wear something with cargo pockets; even so, a 617 (with or without hammer) might be a little much. I guess I'll just have to track one down and put it to the test.

If funding weren't an issue, though, the proper solution would be to...wait for it....GET BOTH!

Thanks for all of the replies!

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts