Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Hammer stuck, has this happened to anyone else?

31K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Montkun 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new bullshead pt 1911 about a month ago. First range trip the hammer locked back after three rounds, all other functions worked yet. Took pistol apart, didn't find anything out of place. Put pistol back together and the hammer worked properly. Went to range today and hammer locked back on 12th round, same situation. Pistol is new and would rather not send it in but will if have to. Any suggestions on what to look for or should I just send it in.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I tried locking and unlocking the hammer lock but that did not change anything. I also wiggled the beavertail around and no luck yet. May just need to leave it with hammer locked in the cocked position and send her in.

#4 ·
without being able to see the pistol and take it apart it could a number of things. it could be the thumb saftey needs a little material removed,it could be the grip saftey is a little to long and needs a little material needs removed. it could be niether,like i said need to see pistol to know for sure. i don't think it would be to hard to fix if you have a understanding of how the 1911 works. if you are mechanically inclined and want to try to fix it yourself go M1911.org,there they have cut away views of a 19911 so you can see how all the parts work,you may be able to determine the problem. please if you don't understand how the 1911 works or are not mechanically inclined send it back to Taurus. you could turn the pistol into a very dangerous and unsafe pistol,possibly even full auto depending on what is causing the problem.nothing will scare the crap out of you more than rack slide by hand and have the pistol go full auto on you.

#5 ·
I am having trouble visualizing exactly what is hapenning. Is the hammer locked back like the safety is on or is it falling to the half-cock position after a round is fired? Can you move the hammer at all once it has "locked back"?

#6 ·
Hammer is locked back will not go to half cock. I tried the lock in the hammer, it seems to be working because when I turn the key it locks hammer back till it almost touches beavertail. The grip safety still moves freely and the thumb safety moves also. But hammer is still stuck at full cock. And thank you all for the replies.

#7 ·
This is definitely a situation where pictures would be a great help. There are too many variables that could be causing the condition from the key lock engaging to the mainspring housing binding up.

#12 ·
Try checking the adjustment screw on the trigger for over travel!
it could be out of adjustment just enough to hang up the hammer.
Have you messed with that adjustment??

#18 ·
What i do is (WITH AN UNLOADED GUN) cock the hammer, adjust the trigger screw in until when you pull the trigger the hammer will not fall, several tries to get it to that point possibly, then gradually screw the screw out about a half a turn at a time.
pulling the trigger each time, once that you get it to the point that the hammer drops when you pull the trigger, then back out the screw another 1/4 -1/2 turns.
try the trigger several times to make sure the hammer drops each time.
on a carry gun I do a 1/2 turn out to be safe.

#14 ·
If this were my PT1911, I think I would send it (and those pictures) on vacation to Miami. Others with more 1911 experience than me might chime in, but I think you are on the right track with that hammer being "crooked" or misaligned for some reason.

#19 ·
Back the screw out a little at a time. If you've backed it out almost all the way and the problem continues it's something else. I had a problem with a hammer doing the exact same thing and it turned out the adjustment screw was to far in.
YEP, after my 1911's have been shot in (say 500-700 rounds) then i always adjust the over travel, you can get to that point where the hammer will drop sometimes and sometimes it won't, thats why i mentioned it.
Most Taurus 1911 's are pretty close to adjusted from the factory, or at least mine have been.
when (if) i replace a trigger on a 1911 I always use a trigger that can be adjusted for both forward travel and over travel, some of these are simply a matter of milimeters between cocked and fiired.
anyway hope that works for you.

#17 ·
the hammer does look crooked,i would try the trigger adjustment. if not it could be hammer strut and/or mainspring housing or even possibly the pin holes in the frame are not aligned correctly. it could other problems, without seeing the pistol or pics and lots of them its just educated guess.

#21 ·
Alright everyone, thanks again for the info. I just adjusted the trigger screw. It seemed closer than the 1/4 to 1/2 turn out more but I believe I have it set. I'll try to get to Buds tomarrow to test it out on my lunch break. Thats a good perk of working down the street from Buds gun wharehouse. Hopefully this does it. As for the hammer the pin seems loose will and falls out easily with ambi safety removed, does that sound normal. I apologize as this is my first 1911 and still learning. I also have gun stripped now so what kind off pics would be helpful. Thanks again.

#22 ·
with the thumb saftey removed on most 1911's the hammer pin does come out pretty easy,doesn't always fall out but is easily pushed out with punch.just as the pin that holds your sear,disconnector and series 80 levers when the grips are removed. now that you adjusted your trigger shoot the pistol and see if everything works.if you still have problems than post some pics.remove the slide and grips and take a pic, then take pics at each phase of takedown showing the internals. lastly after frame is stripped install hammer and pin in frame and see if hammer is still crooked.

#24 ·
He-He-He, yep a good many 1911's if you remove the thumb safety, take off the left grip panel, tilt the gun to the left it will almost diassemble itself!-LOL
a very gentle push to the pins and they fall out for sure.

#23 ·
I think the gun needs to go back to Miami. If this is a new gun Taurus will pay shipping both ways. From your picture that hammer looks really out of alignment to me, almost as if the hammer pin holes in the frame are not drilled correctly-either too large or misaligned. That might also explain why the hammer pin falls out so easily.

#25 ·
Went to range today. The hammer locked back after the first round, a quick disasemble and I got hammer free again, 4 more rounds and locked back again. I did notice that with main spring out, hammer will sit straight but has a lot of play on its pin maybe that the issue, not sure so I believe I'm going to send it in. Thanks for all the ideas and ill let you all know what they find.

#26 ·
if there is excessive play there is a possibility the hole in the hammer may be to big or as i stated in an earlier post pin holes in frame may be off. doubt that is it though if mainspring removed you said hammer looks straight,i'm back to thinking there may be a problem with hammer strut and or mainspring housing(alignment).just a SWAG,like i said before without seeeing pistol or pics.

#27 ·
Yep, time for a return to the Mother Ship!
You may very well be looking at a complete gun swap out as well, and depending on what Taurus wants to do you may end up needing to pick it up from a FFL dealer as I would think in any case the frame is going to be replaced.
let us know how it goes, hopefully its just a minor repair and its back to you in short fashion.

#28 ·
Sorry for the delay, but I took pistol apart again and finally got to shoot it this past weekend. It locked up after 4 rounds. I called taurus today to send it in and my question is I was thinking they pay freight both ways but Laura at taurus said they didn't. I told her I had my pistol for about 2 months and she said policy was they cover freight for the first month of ownership only. Has anyone else experienced this or is she correct.

#29 ·
Call back tomorrow and talk to the Customer Service Manager. They should cover your freight both ways at any time in the first year of ownership. Be polite but be firm and ask them to send you a pick up for your gun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.