Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong I really like my PT 1911 but in my opinion they should have left the hammer solid or put the child safety thingy somewhere else it really limits what you can do if you want to put a different style on it. I wouldn't have let that keep me from buying the pistol. It's just the one thing that I don't like. It shoots good and feels great in my hand. I guess I just needed to vent a little. It does what it is designed to do well. Sorry if I offended any of you PT 1911 owners :kos:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Some people have replaced the hammer, strut, and sear without problems. You could consider that option.

Mine is a 2006 model, and it never bothered me. It has a nice trigger and racking the slide is butter smooth. Even the accuracy is more than acceptable.

I need to add, you should take it to a gunsmith for fitting the parts if necessary. 1911's can be problematic if you lack the experience. However a lot of people buy the prefitted parts in a kit.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I am confused as to your post. The hammer is fully replaceable and has nothing to do with the mainspring housing or sear. Can you please enlighten me as to what you are referring to?

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
I'm ok with the stock hammer on my PT1911. It's those front slide serrations that I hate. Not very attractive in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to mp3mogul due to my own ignorance I didn't know they were replaceable as is usual I always learn good things on this sight. As for the front slide grooves I kinda like them it's just a matter of taste I guess like a lot of people don't like the rails and I like the way they look and should I ever want an accessory it's there for me to use.
I'm really just getting into the 1911 so if I ask a question that may be clear to you all I'm just trying to learn

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I gots all shapes of hammers on guns!
The Hart hammer from Tanfoglio, spur hammers, ring hammers, CZ completion hammers, etc.
actually one that really caught my fancy (although I haven't used it) is the I believe new design hammer on the Ruger SR1911 target models, feels really good upon cocking it and appears to be really slip proof and easily found.
I honestly need to quit playing with that Ruger 10 MM before I have to post pictures of it!!

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
As to mp3mogul due to my own ignorance I didn't know they were replaceable as is usual I always learn good things on this sight. As for the front slide grooves I kinda like them it's just a matter of taste I guess like a lot of people don't like the rails and I like the way they look and should I ever want an accessory it's there for me to use.
I'm really just getting into the 1911 so if I ask a question that may be clear to you all I'm just trying to learn

ahh, yep!
One little pin removed and the hammer comes free, attached is the spur that connects with a pin through the hammer.
of course the bottom end of the hammer should be properly fitted and if you don't have the tools/knowledge is best left to a gunsmith.
most any/all parts are easily swapped on a 1911, the problems come in when you properly FIT them together to work right.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just figured that since the hammer had the safety lock through it that it couldn't be changed maybe someday down the road I'll swap it out. Thanks for all the deed back.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't see a problem with the stock hammer....at least it doesn't bite my hand like the one on my old Colt...

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I just figured that since the hammer had the safety lock through it that it couldn't be changed maybe someday down the road I'll swap it out. Thanks for all the deed back.
should not effect anything?
the replacement hammer will not have the locking device and so the gun will then not have that safety feature (if you can call it that).
other than that a good smith should be able to set it up pretty quickly with a different hammer I would think.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I don't see a problem with the stock hammer....at least it doesn't bite my hand like the one on my old Colt...
ahh, yes aren't those high beavertails just great?

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like a lot of things it might just grow on me

·
Registered
36,871 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah, the profile is wrong with the beaver tail, but the trade off is worth it. I had a thin leather glove I used to wear, and the hammer on the Colt actually made a hole in it....My PT has a rail, too...so that's a BIG difference to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts