Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I replace the hammer with any 1911 hammer for the PT1911? I found one for 200 bucks yesterday. Going to pick it up Monday after work.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
yes but you may also have to replace the sear and if sear is replaced may have to replace the thumb safety. also depending on hammer possibly have to replace grip safety. might get lucky and have it drop in but I doubt the sear to hammer hooks engagement will be optimal.

·
22,996 Posts
Isn't the Taurus safety lock on the hammer on the PT1911? Does that complicate the issue?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Take it to your LGS and have them do a trigger job while replacing the hammer, so much better.....

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
Isn't the Taurus safety lock on the hammer on the PT1911? Does that complicate the issue?
don't think so you just eliminate it with a new hammer best of my knowledge, never replaced a hammer on a PT1911?
as mentioned drop in 1911 parts generally don't give you the best setup, fitting is usually needed for that, and certainly safety check the weapon BEFORE using/ carrying it.
OPPS! See OSO ahs already addressed this!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just replaced the hammer and sear on my SS PT1911 with a Wilson combat set. The only thing you have to do is order a new strut and strut pin, for parts. As for the thumb safety it may need a little work to fit properly. I had to file on mine to clear the sear properly, other than that it works perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts