Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple years of conceal carry my Taurus PT-709, the finish started to flake off.
Called Taurus and was told they don't cover the finish after the first year.
It was getting worse so I had a certified Cerakote Finisher professional refinish the slide.

Recently sent the Taurus back for failure to extract repairs.
Got a call from Taurus, there will be bench charges for repairs, no more Lifetime Warranty.
I don't see that anywhere on the Repair Policy Website Taurus International Manufacturing Inc.
Spoke to CS Management, they said it was policy to charge bench time repairs to modified weapons.

I've got a couple much order Taurus 605 Revolvers that I used to EDC for many many years, no issue.
However, both my blue Taurus PT-709 both had finish problems after a couple years.
Only my Stainless PT-709 has not had a problem.

I am pissed! Can anyone recommend a next step, I don't think writing a letter to Customer Service will help?

Attachments

·
Registered
24,605 Posts
Well, that is their policy and you kinda let them off the hook as far as warranty is concerned

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That policy is not written on their website.
Aren't they suppose to call me and authorize any non warranty work, which is on there website.

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
That policy is not written on their website.
Aren't they suppose to call me and authorize any non warranty work, which is on there website.
Don't know what taurus Business model dictates?
its one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations
I don't honestly know If any other manufacture voids a warranty if you reblue/finish a weapon unless the application of the finish is affecting the operation?
actually a good many manufactures now use Cera Coat as a factory finish.

Reactions: melloyello

·
22,301 Posts
Just because a manufacturer uses Cera Coat doesn't mean it's safe for them to assume every dink with a spray gun will apply it correctly in the aftermarket.

The warranty web site does say they don't cover cosmetics after one year, but it also does not say anything about bench charges. If you take a car to a mechanic and they do work (and want to charge you for it) without your permission, that's a no-go. Their web site says they are committed to "most of all, customer satisfaction." Write a letter to the president of the company. Or call his office; I bet a bit of digging would turn up his number.

Reactions: melloyello

·
Registered
8,797 Posts

·
Registered
31,904 Posts
I am aware of the rule of refinished Taurus not being covered by warranty, as well as the rule of finishes not being warranted beyond a year.

With the previous CEO of Taurus/Miami, we had developed a relationship to address some unfair issues about parts and warranty and restricted parts. I don't know if the new CEO has made contact with our members directly or exactly if we have his ear. Perhaps other members may be more aware of interaction than I am. I am hopeful that there is ongoing dialogue with the current C.E.O. and he is also working to make the improvements we previously had asked for. I haven't heard any reports on success with more promised easier parts ordering in a while. Maybe some of the folks in the know can comment. I do think this finish issue was one of the items our representatives visited with the former CEO about.

I would be curious if any members are still having dialogue with employees at Taurus and if there seems to be a continuing and existing relationship like we previously had established or if the relationship has been distanced with the changing of the guard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought paying the bench fee reinstated the warranty.
If the bench fee reinstates the warranty, I would do it.
However, that is not what the Customer Service Representative or Customer Service Manager said.

I'd like to get some contacts to write a letter of dissatisfaction who is not Customer Service or Customer Service Management.
CS will just repeat it is their policy, a policy I cannot find on their website: service order, repair process or warranty or any of my warranty paperwork.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Ok, they told you that they would charge bench fees to repair the gun, right? They have NOT actually fixed the gun without your permission, have they? That needs to be explained at this point, as some people obviously think that you were charged before giving permission.

Does Taurus offer a factory re-finishing service that they charges for? Ruger informed me, when I sent in my Old Mk.II that they COULD re-blue it, but that there was a charge for it. I was also informed that they could NOT refinish a gun that had a synthetic finish applied. I was also told that, as finishes required dis-assembly of the weapon, they would not normally "warranty" a gun finished with an other than factory finish.

Most factories won't warranty guns that have been modified beyond grips and sights. It's absolutely impossible to tell how qualified others that have worked on the gun are.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
If the bench fee reinstates the warranty, I would do it.
However, that is not what the Customer Service Representative or Customer Service Manager said.

I'd like to get some contacts to write a letter of dissatisfaction who is not Customer Service or Customer Service Management.
CS will just repeat it is their policy, a policy I cannot find on their website: service order, repair process or warranty or any of my warranty paperwork.
I'm certainly not a expert on the subject. Without going into a long winded story I thought that was what I was told. Of course that is just for mechanical stuff, not the finish. Maybe check back with them and ask very explicitly if paying the bench fee does or does not reinstate the warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
I'm certainly not a expert on the subject. Without going into a long winded story I thought that was what I was told. Of course that is just for mechanical stuff, not the finish. Maybe check back with them and ask very explicitly if paying the bench fee does or does not reinstate the warranty. Good luck.
well if a company doesn't have a written policy then how is each technician, customer service representative , supervisor or gunsmith suppose to know what that policy is?
and if a company does have policy then that policy should be fair and equal to both the company and the customer.
if not you get a lot of shoot from the hip answers and a state of confusion among both customers and staff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Taurus CS did not say that the gun was or was not repaired, just that there would be a bench fee.

As to service to refinish, no they did not offer any when a called a couple years ago stating my finish was popping off.
CS stated that they only warranty the finish for the first year, it was 3-4 months past the first year.
The first year I was practicing using/drawing a semi-auto for carry.
Never carried a striker based system, always double action (typically revolvers).

I did ask where that policy was published since it is not on their website or on my warranty card, they just restated the policy.

my 2 cents - new CEO, new Policy to increase revenues, they are selling a lot of guns.

Personally from everything I have heard of the CEO, he is old school firearm industry.
Thought people like Pro gun-control William Ruger Sr and Remington no recall, Remlin snobs were out the door.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My uncle wanted to Cera-Kote his S&W 40VE and I suggested that he call S&W to see if his warranty would be voided because I had heard other manufacturers do void warranties once the firearm is modified. My uncle was told that yes his warranty would be voided, so he's not going to coat his firearm now. I actually agree with this policy because a manufacturer doesn't know if a qualified gunsmith had done the work or not. Does it suck for guys who actually know what they're doing yeah but I understand.
After a year and a half my blue finish is still holding up pretty good. I do carry my Taurus Pt111 G2 almost every day and there are a couple areas that the finish is just starting to rub down to the metal but my other firearms from other manufacturers are the same way. Good luck with your 709 OP.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I wrote Taurus a letter and they called me to discuss.

Bottom Line Up Front - per the Customer Service the $50 bench charge will reactivate the warranty.
The gun will leave Taurus in warranty condition.
Requested confirmation in writing, she will try to make some notation on the work order but it will be in there records tied to my SN.

Issue was failure to extract: Taurus will replace the barrel and extractor, no charge (exception of the bench fee)

·
22,301 Posts
Bottom Line Up Front - per the Customer Service the $50 bench charge will reactivate the warranty.
That's good to know! Thanks for updating us!

Reactions: Falstaff

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Update:

I wrote Taurus a letter and they called me to discuss.

The gun will leave Taurus in warranty condition.
Requested confirmation in writing, she will try to make some notation on the work order but it will be in there records tied to my SN.

Issue was failure to extract: Taurus will replace the barrel and extractor, no charge (exception of the bench fee)
Sounds like a reasonable solution to your issues. Glad they took care of you.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I can see maybe not warrantying the actual coated parts, maybe. And that replacement parts will not be coated by taurus and may not cosmetically match the original part as a result.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I can see maybe not warrantying the actual coated parts, maybe. And that replacement parts will not be coated by taurus and may not cosmetically match the original part as a result.
Right. Or not warranting a part or problem if it was caused by the modification. What am I supposed to do, however, if my bluing eventually wears off?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts