Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
End of last year I was hell bound on finding the absolute value I could come across on a Para 1911 14/45 or whatever the model number is for the 14 round capacity 45acp 1911. I wanted a stainless model and with the then current rebate offer of $100 it looked like this was a sure thing to be had. Then someone pointed out that some of the parts that Para uses on their 1911 stainless pistols were plastic. Damn, imagine that, cheap plastic parts on a stainless 1911 pistol. That's down right blasphemy, not even Taurus does that on their low priced entry level 1911 offereing.

So my son, "Little Jon" mentions that he would recommend a FNX45 over the Para. Yes, it's not a 1911 pistol nor is it a metal pistol. But, it does come with three 15 round magazines, accurate and dependable as the day is long. So giving it some thought and already owning a few FNX/FNS pistols I knew what to expect and moved forward looking for that once in a life time price point that would make me jump on it and bring it home.

In the mean time I swore off of adding any new firearms to my personal collection, with the exception of if I came across a FNX45 at the bargain price point. Well last week I jumped on one via GunBroker, brand new in the box priced at $499 Buy it Now with $21 shipping and no CC fees.

I just got back from picking it up from my FFL and on the way home it occurred to me. I passed on buying the Para 1911 due to some of the parts such as trigger, hammer, main spring housing were made of a plastic material.

Only to end up buying a pistol that is 95%+ plastic with only a few metal parts. The thought of this not only brought a smile to my face but a loud laugh at myself.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I hate it when that happens to me!:bang::bang:

Reactions: darbo and jonrjen

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
If you can laugh at yourself - alL is right with the world! Congratulations on your new pistol - pictures, please, when you can!

Reactions: darbo and jonrjen

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel another "exception" coming on...
I don't see that in the forecast.

Matter of fact I am giving very strong thought to listing my Taurus PT-38S for sale. Now that I have a conversion setup I can use to fire the 38Super ammo in my PT1911 I don't see the need for the other pistol.

·
22,034 Posts
Umm, PICTURES???

I'm over the "plastic is unworthy" point of view. My Colt 1991 has has a plastic mainspring housing for 20+ years. Never caused the slightest problem. My Para also has a plastic MSH. Doesn't bother me at all.

Good to be able to laugh at one's self, though! :D

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Water gun are more than 95% plastic too.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Congrats on the new gun.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
31,748 Posts
I'm so happy to find out you bought this. I wasn't thinking this morning when I discovered Federal is now selling 9mm in Aluminum for only $9.97 per 50 at Wally World and bought a couple of boxes to shoot tomorrow. I was just thinking Under $0.10 per round.
I was dreading posting that I had bought some ammo for myself. Buying knives had helped as my fix.

Reactions: rodfair and jonrjen

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Congrats on a very good firearm. I understand the deal. Give me all metal or a whole bunch of plastic with the necessary metal.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Congrats to you. So you fell off the wagon, eh.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol.

Reactions: jonrjen
1 - 20 of 28 Posts