Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my Dad to the range the other day and put 200 rounds thru my 24/7 pro .45 as usual this fine tool ran smooth as silk and now has about 700 rounds thru it with out any problems. After we are we walk out to the counter to pick up are ID, so my dad is in the market for a handgun so we asked the range master if we get the feel for a few of the rentals he has behind the counter, so as we are checkin out a few guns glock,xd,s&w the guy behind the counter starts talkin about the comfort in the grip for these guns and I said "Here check out the grip on this " and handed him my 24/7 pro I could tell right away he was not at all appreciative of the comfortable grip and the very pretty ss slide then he said " Ya its ok , Taurus does make a half way decent gun" :mad: then he started tellin me that once I get up to a high # of rounds my gun will start to have problems as far as wore out parts, then hands my pops his personal side arm an M&P. Then as I was holding I was thinking how unattractive and boring this gun looked and did not have half the comfortable grip that taurus makes not to mention the $100 price difference. Im sure Ill run in plenty more haters in the future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some people are like that about anything. People have opinions about coffee, cars, trucks, motorcycles, gas, game consoles, mac or pc, cameras, and everything else in the world. Yep, some folks know everything about anything and if you have something different.....yours isn't any good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Over the years I've observed that many men associate their manhood with the guns they have - similar to the relationship one often sees in "car guys" to the cars they own. The Taurus product line is priced in the "Ford" and "Chevy" 4-door range comparatively speaking, and some of these poor fellows draw silly conclusions.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Used to frequent a local gunshop 'cause my wife knew the owner's dad from way back and the owner isn't a bad guy. I say used to 'cause when we went in there a couple weeks ago to inquire about buying new Taurus Mill-Pro, the bashing began. "They are junk, I don't sell them anymore 'cause they cost me money when I had to return them, I won't have them in my store" etc.... I looked behind the counter and they had half a dozen HI-Points, some Kel-Tecs and Kahrs so I figured Taurus must be too good for them and I left. Haven't been back.

·
32,785 Posts
Funny thing about that.

There are multiple M&P failure threads at the larger gun forums.
S&W is getting trashed regularly in the general gun boards, revolver boards, and at the pistol boards as well at these larger forums.

Noticed that even the gun rags have been exclusively going with $1200 dollar and up 1911s as well as with all the high priced spread guns.

Then there are the how to gunsmith articles on the malfunctions or the fact tweaking or major maintenace has to be done to keep the high priced spread guns function properly and often.
Just as many troubles if not more from these snobbish guns and for their users.

Taurus and Ruger are in the same boat together and lumped into the "junk only" category. Now Smith & Wesson are too. To a certain extent. There are more anti S&W threads than pro now than there used to be.

Gun rags dote on the Glock and the M&P by Smith & Wesson. Yet the Internet is awash with troubled Glocks and M&Ps if the posters are to be believed.

Been going to THR and TFL forums,going into quite a few anti Taurus threads in the revolver and pistol boards, and then setting the record straight with 2 years worth of info condensed onto the threads from here, THR,and TFLs own archives.

Our archives aren't quite 2 years old, but it is getting there.
So smile and carry on.

The trolls and bashers are left to boil in their own juices of misery, incompetence,prejudice, and delusions.
Trying to reason with them is useless. Can't get through to those who will not be gotten through to.

·
32,785 Posts
Oh,yes. It's not the high priced guns that are the problem. It's the people and their mindset if that's the way they choose to think.... or lack of reasoning and common sense.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think of Taurus and Rossi more as the cool little off brand import, not Ford or Chevy. Reminds me of a friend who owns a little Fiat but is always taking care of some little issue as if it were a needy girlfriend. Taurus guns might be a little funky and temperamental, but with proper care they do the job and are not SOS (same ol $#!^).

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Dennis2477 said:
Used to frequent a local gunshop 'cause my wife knew the owner's dad from way back and the owner isn't a bad guy. I say used to 'cause when we went in there a couple weeks ago to inquire about buying new Taurus Mill-Pro, the bashing began. "They are junk, I don't sell them anymore 'cause they cost me money when I had to return them, I won't have them in my store" etc.... I looked behind the counter and they had half a dozen HI-Points, some Kel-Tecs and Kahrs so I figured Taurus must be too good for them and I left. Haven't been back.
I met a similar dealer at a gun show. But he DID carry Taurus guns. He said they were not as good as the glocks, springfields, or smiths. I've talked to other dealers that own more than ten and shoot the hell out of them without incident. So you can draw you own conclusions. The "hater" I met, in my mind, just wanted to sell me a more expensive gun.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I was younger I recall the guys who had the "best" sound systems all had to talk the talk about tweeter, woofers, wattage, etc. Later it was cars and guys bragged about four barrels and positraction and other car talk.

Then came computers and ram, clock speed, hard drives, and whatever. It all winds up being that whatever it is that particular person has is the best there is and unless you have one yours stinks. The geek thing I guess. Geek for stereos, or cars, computers or guns they all talk the same way and some even know what they're talking about but still get into the mine is "bigger" than yours game.

It just strikes me that those who are really knowledgeable know that there are good points and bad points to every selection. Then there are those who are not smart enough to realize that when a guy asks you what you think about something he may have one and know more about it than he does. I got caught like that many years ago when a guy I ran into from the old neighborhood asked me what I thought of a certain girl that I proceeded to seriously denigrate and he informed me that she was now his wife. I learned to speak more thoughtfully.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the XD and the Taurus. That's all I need in the way of handguns.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You think gun owners are bad about trashing another brand? You should buy yourself a couple horses and see how other horse owners treat you and your choice of horse.

And you know what? There are people out there that even hate God.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can relate for sure! Most of my guns are on a hate list. Shoot, my Charter gets slammed even by Saturday Nite Special owners. I usually just look at these people strangely and walk off. It was kind of funny at the gun range I go to the other day, though. A customer was pretty much bashing Taurus and two of the guys working there pulled out their personal guns when asked what they carried. One was a Taurus Airweight .38 with laser grips and the other was a 24/7 .45. The customer got a funny look on his face, turned kinda red, and walked out. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
Yep got those friends too. Ones a Glock fan only. twice I've shoot with him and once out doors he handed me his glock 30 45 cal I hadn't shot the 30 in awhile but put all dead center, I've shot the Glock 19 a lot so no big deal its a good gun and told him so. I then let him shoot my XD-9 and he handled it like it was radioactive he shot a couple mags and said it was ok, same thing with my Taurus 1911 against his colt. Untill we got the targets and he shot better with both my guns than his own, I really had to control myself.

The other is a Sig fan nothing but, talked him into buying the XD-45 compact he hated everthing about it and everything that came with it I think he only shot it a couple of times then went and traded it for the new sig 250 I haven't figured that one out yet you can change this and it will shoot that but if you cange that it will only shot this. Got me. So the point i'm trying to make folks is its a GUN I like some better some not so well, but I will NOT refuse to shoot anyones gun, why because I like shooting GUNS. remember this when some one is trashing your Taurus ask them if they want to shoot it I bet they say yes might even change some minds. and if not I bet at home when they are alone and holding there $1200.00 gun there thinking about your $500 gun. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
chvz80 said:
once I get up to a high # of rounds my gun will start to have problems as far as wore out parts,
Thats funny I guess my 10,000 rounds through my 24/7 45 was not a high enough round count for my parts to start wearing out. Just ignore the haters and enjoy shooting your pistol while they keep theres tucked away and never shoot them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As the saying goes "Opinions are like a%&-holes every body has one some just stink worse than other's"

The only thing that matters is that Im happy with it, and I am. I am sold on taurus products and I will be buying the 809 in 9mm when they come out, cant wait !! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
You must go to the same range I do, the guy behind the desk told me the same crap about my Taurus.

Meh, I had all kinds people tell me that my Norinco mod 213 9mm Tokarev would turn into a huge piece of burning crap after I put 500 rounds through it.

I usually ask anyone that tells me something like that if they like the Norinco SKSs' and when they tell me how good of a weapon it is, I ask them why a Tokarev made in the same factory out of the same steel would be so crappy compared to the SKS, they never have an answer.

Now that Ive got over 1000 rounds of 9mm thru it I wonder if they will stand in front of it and let me aim at their chest with it? I mean the rails were supposed to warp and the rifling was supposed to wear out,,, But yet I can still place all 8 shots right where I aim for.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It just goes to show how ignorant people can be. I have been told that Taurus guns will lose their value compared to other handguns. Personally I don't give a S%*t. I don't carry a gun to watch it's value go up or down.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
It just goes to show how ignorant people can be. I have been told that Taurus guns will lose their value compared to other handguns. Personally I don't give a S%*t. I don't carry a gun to watch it's value go up or down.
doesn't make much sense does it? i don't buy guns or cars just so i can trade them next year. only value that matters is how much i value my gun. if i keep it forever then market value means diddly.

and you guys are correct. the haters are just another case of "little man, big car" syndrome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have a problem if you like a certain brand and shoot nothing but, and some Sig, HK, Glock owners seem to be really outspoken about their brand and look down at you for carrying anything else.
- I own a glock, an M&P, a beretta and a 24/7 - obviously I like a little variety! And I'll be honest I was apprehensive when purchasing the 24/7C because I was worried about the quality - but I absolutely loved everything about it so I took (what in my mind at the time) the gamble, and I still love it - about 500 rds through it without a single failure. Haven't had issues with my MP or GLock - like those too, but there are so many great options for handguns these days, you don't have to spend 1200 for a nice semi auto, and you don't have to carry the same piece as the Texas Rangers to have a reliable gun, and you certainly don't have to ridicule someone for owning something you don't - if you like a hi point and you shoot it well - more power to you. My dad has a Ruger and that thing is a solid, very reliable gun - didn't cost 800 like an HK or Sig.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep, skwab, and S&W owners tend to really pound Taurus, Rossi, and some Ruger models, too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts