Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RANTING!

Jeez! Computer isn't even safe from my ISP!
4 times now over the last 3 days they have hijacked my web browser, Firefox V11.0.
I blew off the first time it happened, emailed them the second time and asked them to stop.
After the third time I got a little bit testy with them and sent them the link to South Carolina's law against computer crime and intrusion.
So it happens a 4th time. This time I sent them the text of the law (portion below).
This is what they hijacked my browser with, twice while I was online.
htc-hijack.jpg

How they got it through my firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection, PeerBlock, Windows Firewall, and all the other security I have is beyond me.
I had the IP address blocked in PeerBlock and it still got through.
I have now added the entire IP range it came from, xxx.xxx.xxx.0 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255 in Symantec's Firewall.
If they don't stop doing it, I have the website of the FBI to report the intrusion.

Done ranting.

(4) A person is guilty of computer crime in the third degree if the amount of gain directly or indirectly derived from the offense made unlawful by subsection (1) or the loss directly or indirectly suffered by the victim is not more than one thousand dollars. A person is also guilty of computer crime in the third degree if he wilfully, knowingly, and without authorization or for an unauthorized purpose engages in computer hacking. Computer crime in the third degree is a misdemeanor and, upon conviction for a first offense, a person must be fined not more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days. Upon conviction for a second or subsequent offense, a person must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I feel your pain, but you probably gave them some 'permission' in the EULA fine print, or "...by paying your bill you agree to the following terms..." :D

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I feel your pain, but you probably gave them some 'permission' in the EULA fine print, or "...by paying your bill you agree to the following terms..." :D
Yep. Comcast can even screw with my modem if they want. I imagine HTC is no different.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the originating IP into the Symantec firewall, blocking ALL protocols.
I cannot access the page it came from, so they can't access my computer.
If they get past all the blocks I have now, they got some splainin to do.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't even use their DNS.
I still can't figure out how they did it, twice when I first started Firefox and twice while I was surfing.
How do they hijack the browser homepage when the browser isn't even running?
However they did it, I think it may be illegal.
I reprogrammed my router to use OPENDNS.
OpenDNS - Cloud Internet Security and DNS

·
Registered
496 Posts
When your browser hake a request they can hijack it at the modem, Switches or Via dns. They don't have to get through your security, firewall or browser. It's rather intrusive that they did this but they could direct all of your traffic anywhere they want. Control the switches/dns and control the net.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I though that maybe it had to do with the modem.
When they set it up, they changed the password to access the setup.
It's a SMC8014WN, modem and wired/wireless router.
I told them I wanted to use my router with my network, so he connected the LAN1 as a passthrough to my router.
I've thought about doing a master reset on the modem, but not sure if that will restore the default login, cusadmin/password.
My router is at 192.168.0.1 and the modem is at 192.168.100.1.
I can access the login page, but can't login with the defaults.
In my last email complaint I asked if I could use my modem instead of theirs, no answer yet, maybe tomorrow.

Overview

The SMC8014WN-RES Wireless Cable Modem Gateway is a cable modem with an integrated 4-port router, and 802.11n wireless access point combined into one device to simplify cable connectivity for all type of users. The Gateway is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant to ensure interoperability with existing cable systems. It supports VPN pass through connections with PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec. The SMC8014WN-RES has an integrated firewall, including Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) to provide a high level of security against hacker invasions, such as Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. The SPI firewall analyzes individual data packets as they pass through the gateway, to ensure only authorized data is allowed access to your network.

Doesn't say if it is DOCSIS 1.1 back compatible.
My modem is only 1.1.
I may have to buy a newer one that I alone can configure.

Checked the specs online, mine is 2.0 compatible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts