Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have searched the internet for the answer and have come up with more yes answers than no don't do it answers. So my question is, has anyone here fired .45lc (cowboy load) through a Snake Tamer shotgun? Or what are your thought of doing so?

Here is what we are talking about:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
OK, I have searched the internet for the answer and have come up with more yes answers than no don't do it answers. So my question is, has anyone here fired .45lc (cowboy load) through a Snake Tamer shotgun? Or what are your thought of doing so?

Here is what we are talking about:

The barrel is not rifled so it will shoot poorly at best - worst case is ugly, possibly dangerous. Answer (866) 776-9292 call the manufacturer!

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
The SAAMI recommended chamber pressures are...

.410 shotgun - 12,500 PSI

.45 Long Colt - 14,000 PSI

Not a huge difference, but a roll of the dice in some folk's book.

But as has be said, even if it were done accuracy through a smooth bore wouldn't be worth a hoot at distance.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
My question would be. Why?

Reactions: jtg452 and jonrjen

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
It can be done and often is, BUT if you measure the bore diameter at the choke it will usually run around. 400 give or take. 010 or so. The. 45 colt bullets run from .451 to .454 in factory cowboy ammo usually. That means the bullet when going through the forcing cone and choke is squeezed down a bunch, roughly. .050 give or take a little. The practice of doing this goes back I know well over 50 years because I remember people doing it when I was a kid and we did it as kids. I do not do it now even though the barrels and actions of most of the modern .410 break barrel guns are very strong.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I came cross one of these tucked away in a gun case I hadn't visited in a long while..So I listed it on a local site for sale. I had a number of people ask if it could also fire 45lc ammunition and I said NO!! Then a few came along talking about how years back they did fire the 45lc out of a shotgun just like this one. The top of the barrel reads full choke, 3" chamber, 410 shot shell.
I was wondering if I had missed something. I continue to tell interested parties that it will not fire the .45lc as it was not designed nor tested to do so. Also that it is a smooth bore barrel.
Amazing how difficult it can be to sell a cheap firearm.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I was wondering if I had missed something. I continue to tell interested parties that it will not fire the .45lc as it was not designed nor tested to do so. Also that it is a smooth bore barrel.
Amazing how difficult it can be to sell a cheap firearm.
Yeah, I blame the popularity of the Judge and it's decendants/imitators for this. The folks that are asking don't understand that the Judge, effectively, is a .45 LC pistol first and a shotgun second. In other words, it was designed to handle the pressures of and accurately fire the .45 LC and so is more than capable of dealing with the lower pressure shotshell.

Meanwhile, the .410 shotgun is just that, a shotgun. Asking it to fire the higher pressure cartridge would result in poor accuracy at best, and a dangerous overpressure situation at worst.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
It'll do it at least once. And to answer the question "why"? Because it's awesome.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The SAAMI recommended chamber pressures are...

.410 shotgun - 12,500 PSI

.45 Long Colt - 14,000 PSI

Not a huge difference, but a roll of the dice in some folk's book.

But as has be said, even if it were done accuracy through a smooth bore wouldn't be worth a hoot at distance
Moondawg is right. Someday for grins, set your 357 mag ( or similar caliber) down next to any shotgun, any gauge. And carefully note the relative thickness of the barrel and chamber. The shotgun will have a relatively thin metal wall, whereas the 357 will have a barrel thickness (measuring both sides of the circle) that's at least equal to the bore diam of .357

Don't even need to know the pressures, I think, to figure that one out. IMHO -- an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This little puppy was shipped off to it's new owner this morning. A very knowledgeable person when it comes to firearms. He taught me a few lessons within the last couple of days. One of those folk that even though you have and may never meet him in person, he is a friend.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I want to take a few minutes and give a good word about the OP. When jonrjen started this thread I sent a pm and ask about the 410, agreed on a price and sent it. I'm old enough and have bought enough guns over the years that one this cheap does not get much thought. A custom revolver that takes a year or longer to get I think about, not a 410 single shot. He was more concerned about me getting and being satisfied than a custom Smith that charges many times more and is in no hurry. I would not hesitate to send this gentleman cash money on his word. I deal with lawyers I do not trust with written contracts. In this day and time it is the exception to find a gentleman of integrity.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frank, Thank you for those kind words. Talk about starting my day on a high note, you just did it. I hope it works into your plans very nice for its intended project. I also hope that once we get caught up with sick grandkids around here I get freed up to give you a call to discuss those little brass nuggets you sent.

Your One in a Million, just keep being you and sharing as you do...it is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
35,799 Posts
Even if you didn't blow the end of the barrel off it by some miracle, .45 Colt is not going to hit paper at 10 feet from a smooth bore. It would be dangerous to shoot as bullets would go over the backstop and into the ether.

If you want a combo .45/.410, Thompson Center arms makes the best. It has a choke for the shotgun, remove it for .45 Colt, AND, it's rifled so it's pretty accurate with .45. My 10" contender is 2" at 25 yards accurate with .45 and can handle +P pressures AND it is effective to 20 yards or slightly beyond with .410 on game. I've even shot birds with it and clays just for fun. Killed a rabbit at 17 yards on the run once. I couldn't have done that with one of my .22LR pistols. :D But, it's really kind of a toy that's fun to play with. It's not a very effective shotgun and my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt is twice as accurate.

·
Super Moderator
35,799 Posts
Oh, and glad to see you all made a deal on the gun. :D My BIL bought one for his wife to shoot snake with, what they're for, after all. They have a 400 acre ranch near Kenedy, Texas and snakes are a part of life there. :D

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
This forum and it's members are a great bunch and I for one enjoy it greatly. In today's world, with all that is going on and the decline of civility among people, it is refreshing to see and read kind words from one member about another member. Now having said that, jonrjen - what are you going to buy with that extra cash? I know you won't disappoint us!

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jonrjen - what are you going to buy with that extra cash? I know you won't disappoint us!
I'm Going to Disney World!!!!

No, not really !!!! I am kind of laying back, watching the prices with more focus toward ammunitions when available. I did pick up 2 boxes of .45acp at Walmart yesterday for only $57. Down side of that story is that it was 2 boxes of 20 rounds each of personal protection ammunition.

I do have a Walther SP22 to pick up later today. It is going into the "Fun with the Grandkids" Collection.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and glad to see you all made a deal on the gun. :D My BIL bought one for his wife to shoot snake with, what they're for, after all. They have a 400 acre ranch near Kenedy, Texas and snakes are a part of life there. :D
We have 500 acres down near Hillsboro, Texas....seems the only time I would come across a snake I wouldn't have a shotgun with me in the truck or tractor. I was more prepared for coyote with either a Ruger Rancher .223 or the Marlin 30-30. FWIW, these will also do a nice job of head removal of a snake....just takes a little more time.

I just did a quick GunBroker search on the Thompson dual purpose pistols. Looks like they have joined the fast escalating price climb into the world of "Stupid Pricing" along with most other firearms..

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I have been a Contender fan for years. Do not own one of the 45/410 barrels at the moment but do have a 45 colt barrel for hunting that is accurate. Have found the 45/410 barrels to be more accurate with cast bullet loads when you take the time to find out what the barrel likes. I have a regular butt stock that fits the tamer and will convert it to a inline 410 muzzle loading shotgun when I have time. It is a kid toy project for a friend. He is also past 60 and a kid. I own too many 45's to be shooting a 45 round in a 410.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, Forget the Disney World comment. I made a visit over to GunBroker and the cash is spent, gone, history, but now I will have a three-some of yet another Taurus model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts