Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got back from another range trip. Ran about 250 rounds through my first GX4, and only two failures to extract on known crappy Herter's ammo. I say known, because my Glock 26 and 19 had FTEs with that ammo, and it's essentially WWB, and I've never had good luck with it.

However, On good note, it did run all JHP ammo nicely, and that's what counts.

Other issue, and I know people will already tell me it's shooter induced. The GX4, both of them, just shoot left. I mean a few inches left at 10 yards. I've drifted the rear sight to the right a bit, but if I push it any further, it'll simply not be symmetrical anymore.

I'm a right handed shooter, and I know that throwing shots low left is common, especially on these smaller guns. I was shooting my G43 and G26 relatively well, and unless I slow down to an unrealistic cadence I can't seem to get it to shoot straight.

Is it possible that the GX4 trigger is just throwing my average skills around the ring really hard? The trigger isn't what I'd call bad, but it's not a G2C or Glock trigger to which I'm very used to.

I'm also hoping that maybe after a few hundred more the trigger will smooth out and this will be less pronounced. I'm just posting here to see if anyone else is running into this issue.

GX4, shooting like really left. I have replaced the OEM sights with Truglos designed to fit a Glock 17/19 size gun, and that didn't affect it any more than one would think. Still shooting way lefter-er than it should. Maybe it's just the trigger being very different and new to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Try some dry fire practice and watch where the front sight goes when the trigger breaks. For some reason, I tend to break left with my Glock 43, but not my wife's Glock 42. I can fix the pull to the left with finger position on the trigger, but pulling the trigger at the first distal joint instead of on the pad. I haven't had the opportunity to fire my GX4 yet and it's killing me. By the way, that looks like a gold mine on the ground in front of you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do dry fire, but not as much on the newer GX4, of course. That's kind of what I was wondering, and you nailed it. Are there those of us who can shoot one gun pretty straight, but another gun very similar to it, we just scratch our heads? I am on the fence with the GX4 trigger, and I'm not sure I'm going to warm to it. I know most of these issues, probably this one included, are shooter issues. I mean both GX4s do it, so it's got to be me.

Reactions: Dad1911

·
Registered
108 Posts
I need to get to a real range and try mine out. I live out in the country and only have just a few mags through it. It did kill a Copperhead though.

Speaking of Winchester White Box 115 FMG, I bought a 50 round box along with the pistol at Academy Sports. Turns out the lot number for my box is being recalled. You might check the lot number on your box as well.

Hope you get the accuracy issues figured out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That chart, I have seen before. However it's been a minute and that may be helpful. I generally do shoot these smaller guns with the pad of my index finger, which has led me to get that blister from having my finger too low on the trigger and dragging the bottom of the trigger guard.

Maybe using more of my trigger finger and training to use the joint instead of the pad of my index finger. :)

@Whittsailor That's an interesting idea, too. It doesn't hurt to try the larger back strap; I have not. The smaller of the two that came on the gun felt so right but maybe I should try and see if it feels even better. That was the main selling point of the GX4 and why I ended up getting rid of my P365s. The fact that Taurus realized that part of the grip was too small on competing guns and then they allowed you to even add a different backstrap without really changing the overall dimensions of the gun. Win. I'm just fine with it in terms of reliability; The Herter's ammunition in question is basically manufactured for them by Winchester and it's cheap WWB. I'm shooting the last 150 rounds I have soon and I won't buy it again. I ran a good few hundred of them today. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got the snapcaps out and am gonna continue to do a lot of dry firing between range time, maybe that'll help smooth it in. I do believe wrapping more of my index finger knuckle joint around it might help. I'm watching some YT reviews of it, some I've seen, but several people are mentioning that they kinda like the trigger despite it being heavy. That's probably my issue. Just a heavier trigger than I'm used to. I'm used to the other triggers I mentioned, and they typically average like 5-5.5 lbs. My Glock "Perfection" triggers do actually smooth out over time and get a bit better, so I'm hoping I'll grow accustomed to this and maybe it'll smooth and get a bit lighter. Anyone who owns Glocks knows that the triggers across 3 of the same exact model in serial number sequence can have widely varying trigger attributes LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found that the GX4 trigger actually made me a better shooter and more conscious of my shot because of the fact it is heavy. It also isn't that it is heavy per se that is the issue, think about all the striker guns you own or have shot for a minute, I bet they all have something in common longer takeup, stacking, a wall, mushy creep, bang and some over-travel. The GX4 trigger does not do any of those things; it has an extremely short takeup to a very distinct wall, a heavy squeeze, bang, and stop (and that reset is amazing). Because the trigger is closer to six pounds it ensures your shot is deliberate and not a negligent misfire which can happen in an adrenaline pumping defensive situation with the musher 4 to 5lb triggers as you can pull straight through the wall. If you train with the GX4 you will eventually overcome the low-left issue.

My buddy got his GX4 last week and we did the same thing we did to my G3C and his G2C which was disassemble the entire pistol and high speed polish the fire group and feedramp. It is a smooth and far superior trigger to the G3C in my opinion, and next to the Shield Plus performance center the best out of all the other micro-9 offerings. It took some time behind the trigger to get accurate shots but once you get used to the heavy and deliberate trigger it is a pretty dang good pistol. Also, we found like with my G3C 124gr and up loads produced less flyers and better groupings that were much closer POI to POA.

·
Registered
27,879 Posts
Different guns shoot to different points for different shooters, largely because of slight differences in the grip. Low-left often correlates (right-handed shooter) with too little finger in the trigger. The trigger should be centered on the pad of the distal phalynx of the trigger finger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Different guns shoot to different points for different shooters, largely because of slight differences in the grip. Low-left often correlates (right-handed shooter) with too little finger in the trigger. The trigger should be centered on the pad of the distal phalynx of the trigger finger.
I agree and for those with large hands the micro pistols present an issue in that the distance from the backstrap to the trigger-shoe is much shorter which makes for a very unnatural squeeze on the trigger.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I can't say for my GX4 yet, but that's my standard for nearly ever handgun I own. For some reason, I hook ever so slightly left with my Glock 43, unless I hook it on the joint.

·
Registered
27,879 Posts
I can't say for my GX4 yet, but that's my standard for nearly ever handgun I own. For some reason, I hook ever so slightly left with my Glock 43, unless I hook it on the joint.
Have a friend load your magazines; put a snap cap somewhere in the stack. When the gun goes click, you will see if the gun jerks to the left.

·
Registered
27,879 Posts
Thanks. I have, but I don't notice the GX4 pulling left when dry firing. I haven't run live ammo in it yet.
Different exercise. When you're dry firing, you are not anticipating the recoil. Try what I suggested; I think you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Different exercise. When you're dry firing, you are not anticipating the recoil. Try what I suggested; I think you'll be surprised.
I normally shoot with index distal finger pad, as said. I found that putting my distal joint on kinda helped a tad. I also get less trigger guard blister on the bottom of trigger finger pad.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's a good exercise and I've recommended it many times to new shooters. I'm a long-time firearm enthusiast and not particularly recoil sensitive. 9mm is one of the lightest rounds I routinely shoot.

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
eye im sew scared of guns that eye flench even whin eye dry fire!
facepalm,.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts