Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
G3, G2C, PT92, OSS Tactical, 24/7 Pro C DS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating which of these two guns should be my next buy.

Basically, I'm looking for an alternative EDC to my G2C.

Anyone have both? If so which one is more reliable? Comfortable?

For context, I carry a G2C IWB in the spring/summer. And a G3 OWB in fall/winter.

I also used to use the PT92 for my nightstand gun before the G3.

I get the GX4 and TH9 are two totally different gunsG3.
(I.e., TH9 is hammer fire while GX4 is a single action, striker, subcompact etc.)

What I'm looking for here, is more about insights into the dependability of both.

The TH9 has a mixed bag of reviews online.

So I'm leaning towards the GX4.

But I wonder if the GX4 is still in the honeymoon phase?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I Have the G2c as well as the 111G2, so its the same Gun, also I picked up the GX4, which seems like that Goldilocks size , as with the other Micros , I Like it, Shoots great and the price is Right, and for me that is the selling point, do I Like all of the others? Yes, any particular one more than the others? not really, IMO none of these guns are worth any price over 400.00 , That's what I call Blue Collar Pricing That's just Me ,

·
Super Moderator
35,585 Posts
In a sea of "safe action" guns on the market today, For familiarity and safety reasons, I wanted a DA decocker like the P90 Ruger that I love, but is a little bulky for carry unless you like open carry. I picked up a TH9c and have been very happy with it. I rarely carry the old P90 anymore, but I will NOT sell or trade it. I won some memorable shoots with it. I'm one with it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have the older full size version of the TH9c (PT809) & would opt for the TH9c were I in your shoes mainly because it, a) has a longer proven track record, b) is hammer fired, c) has a hammer decocker, d) and is much safer to carry with a round in the chamber vs. a striker fired pistol, especially when appendix carrying (IMO, of course).

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you can find a TH9 I would say get it; or if you're planning to carry it, get the TH9C.

I haven't fired the GX4, but from what I've read it seems a little too small (like pinky finger off the bottom too small). Plus, it doesn't have a manual safety, which is something I want in a carry gun. That's personal choice, I know some people don't want it, but I do.

I carried both the PT-111 G2 and the G2C (pretty much the same gun) for six years. I really like the G2C for its size, capacity (12+1), and feel. It shoots well, has a round-in-chamber indicator that can be felt in the dark, a rail, and a clean crip external safety. I often said that the only thing the G2C was lacking to make it the perfect carry gun was a decocker; a hammer would be nice too. I wanted a decocker, because I didn't like the idea of the spring on the striker or hammer being under constant tension while I carried, especially when I appendix carry and the the muzzle is pointed at my junk!

Then Taurus came out with the TH9 and TH9C. The TH9C is VERY similar to the G2C, but is hammer-fired instead of striker, AND comes with a decocker. PERFECT!!! I don't have a big thing against striker-fired guns, but if everything else on the gun were equal, and I could choose between a hammer and a striker, I'd probably take the hammer.

In May of 2020 I got a TH9C from Kentucky Gun Company (www.kygunco.com) for $237. Kentucky Gun Company was very good, and my TH9C was delivered to my LGS in 4 days. I cleaned and oiled my new TH9C. When I finally got to shoot it, I was moderately impressed. I say “moderately”, because at first I didn't like the feel of the trigger in double-action mode after decocking the hammer. In single-action the trigger is fine, smooth and crisp, and about a 5 lbs pull. In double-action, the trigger was a long pull (which I expected), and it was heavier (about 9 lbs, also expected), but it was also rough and almost gritty; not smooth at all. I voiced my disappointment on this forum, and several other members said that it will smooth out after several hundred rounds. I cleaned the TH9C again, and heavily oiled the trigger spring area. Then I put a snap-cap in the chamber, and started dry-firing the heck out of it. I'd sit and watch TV, while dry-firing it. It took a while, but the trigger pull in double-action mode did smooth out. Now the trigger pull is acceptable in both single-action, and double-action.

Another thing about the TH9C: It comes with one 17-round, and one 13-round magazine. The 13-round has a flat plate, which means your pinkie finger slips off the bottom. Why Taurus didn't put a lip on the magazine base like they did on their G2C is beyond me. Fortunately, for just $12.50, Galloway Precision (www.gallowayprecision.com) makes a bottom plate for the TH9C that extends just enough to support your pinky finger, AND it increases the magazine capacity by one round, making the TH9C a 14+1 carry pistol. Fantastic!!!

Now I have a compact, hammer-fired, 14+1 capacity pistol, with a round-in-chamber indicator, a rail, a manual safety, AND a decocker. THIS is the carry weapon that I have been looking for, and I highly recommend it. I like it so much that I want to get another one, but the market has dried up. For some reason the TH9C and the TH9 are both very hard to find. This last June I was able to find a full size TH9, which is a great full-size gun. I snapped it up while I had the chance, but still haven't found another TH9C. If you find either of these guns, get it! You'll be happy that you did. I know Poppastar had a problem with a TH9C that he got, but I think that was Taurus letting another lemon slip through, which they do from time to time with all their guns.

Also, if you're looking for a holster for the TH9 or TH9C, check out the Stealth Operator, by Phalanx Defense Systems (wwwphalanxsystems.com).

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
I don't think the G X 4 has been on the market long enough to evaluate the dependability, quality control over the entire model, or longevity of the weapon.
there are some real nightmares in the brand from past releases and so MYSELF I am pretty leery of new releases, course I have been snake bit more than once as well.
I still remember how nice the EDSEL looked when it was released!---LOL

·
9,140 Posts
IMHO - the GX4 is for seasoned shooters,,kinda like a 38 snubby is. I ran a few holster drills with my GX4, draw/present/double tap quickly/re-holster up to 5 yards I got 3-4" groups at 7 yards went up to 5-6" groups. That is as far as I went. I ran my drills after putting 200 or so rounds through the GX4, so the pistol and I were both broke in. I haven't tested a TH9 yet so no comment there. My reading of TH9 reviews leads me to believe the heavy/gritty/spongy etc... trigger can lead to additional training to find that accuracy spot. I loved the feel and look of my GX4, but my big bear paws just ate it up.

Its use was a backup truck gun in an IWB kydex. My normal carries are S&W M&P9 compact and CZ 75 SP01 Omega. The GX4 was a simple solution for times I forget to put on my rig, light enough for jean carry even without a carry belt or any belt with the right fitting jeans/pants. But it was just too small,,so I traded it off for a new G3C this week..just a bit bigger,,and I've already tested the G2C and know what I can do with it..So G3C is in the test process right now. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hard to fault the G series , They are good guns for the price , and as its been said, just a little bigger than the GX4 , and the fun part is you can swap the slide from a 709 , and put it on a G2c frame , all the parts will work, but you can not put the G2c slide on the 709 frame, well you could, but you would have to modify the frame for clearance , the 709 has the same internals , barrel , trigger system chassis, so if you could get just a G2c frame you could make your 709 into a Hybrid G2c, slimmer slide and more capacity, It doesn't look to Bad either Happy shooting !!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Never had the TH9, but I have had the 809 and 809c. And I currently own the GX4.

IMHO, the 809, and I think just by association the TH9, are the sleepers of the Taurus line. I actually shot 3 gun with my 809, it was paired with a DPMS Sportical and a H&R Pardner Pump Protector. I never won, but I didn’t do too bad either. The great part was i could use such inexpensive firearms and make a good showing. I do not recall any issues with the 809 pistols. My only complaint was the 809c mags were about impossible to find. Not so with the 809 magazines. I traded my 809 pistols to fund Ruger American pistols. The Rugers are better, but I wish I had bought them outright and kept the 809’s.

The GX4 though would be my choice I think if I had to choose between it and the TH9c as a carry pistol for social use. The TH9 has a lot going for it. I like hammer fired, I like cocked and locked, I like the controls, but the GX4 purpose built for carry. The GX4 has the better trigger, and better triggers are important to me. I just don’t get along well with creepy spongy triggers, although I can tolerate a heavy trigger quite well as long as it’s crisp. And the GX4 is point and shoot simple. Like a DA revolver to put in use once it is loaded. No controls to manipulate. It took me a while to get used to no hammer, a pre tensioned striker, and no safety. I felt like I was carrying a 1911 in condition 0, but the Ruger American Pro convinced me (after a pretty long time) that it was not going to fire unless I did something wrong, or I wanted it to.

I did complain about my GX4 dropping magazines, but I finally narrowed it down to the Phalanx Defense holster I was carrying mine it. It fit the pistol well, but did not protect the magazine release. I changed holsters and the problem went away.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I did complain about my GX4 dropping magazines, but I finally narrowed it down to the Phalanx Defense holster I was carrying mine it. It fit the pistol well, but did not protect the magazine release. I changed holsters and the problem went away.
Interesting observation about the Phalanx holster. I use the Phalanx holster to carry my TH9C, and I have no problem with the magazine dropping out. The Phalanx works great for my TH9, and several other of my guns as well. I'll have to take a closer look at it in regards to the magazine release button on all of my weapons.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If any one knows where I can get a G2c Frame, Just the frame , Have tried all the usual suspects. any help would be appreciated
I know this is no help, but firearm prices are approaching normal and a new G2C can be had for around $230 if you know where to look. You'll probably have to pay nearly that much for a bare frame and you'll still have to go through an FFL.

·
Registered
G3, G2C, PT92, OSS Tactical, 24/7 Pro C DS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

I like the TH9 since I can use my slew of G3 15 round mags in it...

But I'm leaning towards the GX4 for sake of CCW.

I'm looking for a smaller "at home" carry gun, other than my G2C...

something similar to the LCP, but chambered in 9mm.

primarily looking to appendix carry. But also I like the option of putting it in my pocket.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
398 Posts
Hard to fault the G series , They are good guns for the price , and as its been said, just a little bigger than the GX4 , and the fun part is you can swap the slide from a 709 , and put it on a G2c frame , all the parts will work, but you can not put the G2c slide on the 709 frame, well you could, but you would have to modify the frame for clearance , the 709 has the same internals , barrel , trigger system chassis, so if you could get just a G2c frame you could make your 709 into a Hybrid G2c, slimmer slide and more capacity, It doesn't look to Bad either Happy shooting !!
Damn! I just replaced my 709 with the G2c. Although the 709 had a cracked frame, so the G2c was free.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts