Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new Taurus GX4 I loaded the mag and chambered a round! Rather than shooting I was just getting a feel for the gun and see how the slide reaction is? Long story short I was able to drop the mag but it will still not let me pull the slide back to eject the live round? Any advice or helpful hints? The only way I was able to clear the round is to fire it! And you know as well as I know I can’t do that in every situation? Please any help or tips would be appreciated
Thanks again [email protected]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Something wrong there. You should be able to eject the live round by pulling the slide back. Doesn't appear to have a slide safety so having that engaged wouldn't be the problem.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,452 Posts
My Taurus PT 99 will not allow the slide to move to the rear with the safety on. Nor will my 1911’s

They are NOT GX 4’s but ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt! Mine was the same way. The chamber can be tight with little tolerance. After 100 rounds fired, it was easier to rack the slide clearing the gun. Just takes a little getting broke in.

Take it to the range, fire a box of 50 if you can, then clean it. Bet it gets better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have a new Taurus GX4 I loaded the mag and chambered a round! Rather than shooting I was just getting a feel for the gun and see how the slide reaction is? Long story short I was able to drop the mag but it will still not let me pull the slide back to eject the live round? Any advice or helpful hints? The only way I was able to clear the round is to fire it! And you know as well as I know I can’t do that in every situation? Please any help or tips would be appreciated
Thanks again [email protected]
Something wrong there. You should be able to eject the live round by pulling the slide back. Doesn't appear to have a slide safety so having that engaged wouldn't be the problem.
yeah there is no lock! When a live round is in the chamber it won’t let me pull the slide back! It’ll hardly pull back 1/4 of an inch and that’s all it’ll do! The only way to get the round out is by firing that round! It’s very odd? I was wondering if it could be the ammunition? I’m hesitant on using different ammo and loading a round in the chamber and not being able to eject it! The gun is 💯% new I’ve only shot maybe two or three clips thru the gun so far, wondering if I should go and put a hundred or two rounds thru it and maybe break it in a little more?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum Matt! Mine was the same way. The chamber can be tight with little tolerance. After 100 rounds fired, it was easier to rack the slide clearing the gun. Just takes a little getting broke in.

Take it to the range, fire a box of 50 if you can, then clean it. Bet it gets better.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking run a few boxes of ammo thru it and hopefully it’ll get easier to rack the slide!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah that’s what I was thinking run a few boxes of ammo thru it and hopefully it’ll get easier to rack the slide!
Welcome to the forum Matt. What ammo have you run through it so far and brass, steel or aluminum cased?

·
15,452 Posts
The following was told to me by an old reloader with all his fingers and no bullet or fragment scars on his body or extremities.

“Pick as safe a place as possible. Remove magazine. Protect the edge of the bench and your slide with somthing, i e a leather glove, several layers of t-shirt ...
Place the front if the “slide”, NOT the barrel, against said protection. Move you toes out of the way. Grab the grip of the firearm with one hand (FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!!!!!!!). And push suddenly in the direction that will cause the slide to move toward the rear of the firearm.
This should cause the slide to move to the rear so you can lock it back. It may also leave the bullet stuck in the bore, and spill powder inside your firearm. Clean firearm to remove powder.
Carry as large a wooden dowel rod as will fit easily in the bore, longer than your barrel, in your bag, for those occasions when a squib stays in the barrel, or the cartridge overall length is too great. “After you remove the barrel from the slide.“ You can drive the stuck bullet to the rear of the barrel and remove it. In the case of a squib drive the bullet the shortest distance.”

I have loaned or given my dowel away, much more often than I have used it myself.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma!
I'd run a couple hundred rounds through it, then see how it is!

Reactions: Whittsailor

·
Registered
37,134 Posts
AHH yea--count me OUT on the using a dowel to dislodge a live round in a chamber/barrel!
but Interestingly I have never wanted to have a weapon that I could not unchamber a live round, especially with a carry/ self defense gun!
soo I would find a safe range, fire that round in the chamber and quickly contact Taurus to fix this thing!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'd say there are two possibilities

1. The pistol's chamber is out of spec slightly resulting in the round getting stuck, or

2. The ammo is out of spec.

Try the ammo in another 9mm to see if it sticks. If it does it's the ammo. If it doesn't it's the pistol. If it's the pistol call Taurus and send it in. My GX4 is a bit harder to rack than some other 9mm pistols, but it will allow me to rack the slide and eject the round from the chamber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say there are two possibilities

1. The pistol's chamber is out of spec slightly resulting in the round getting stuck, or

2. The ammo is out of spec.

Try the ammo in another 9mm to see if it sticks. If it does it's the ammo. If it doesn't it's the pistol. If it's the pistol call Taurus and send it in. My GX4 is a bit harder to rack than some other 9mm pistols, but it will allow me to rack the slide and eject the round from the chamber.
Tomorrow I’m gonna hit the range with my GX4 and some other guns as well so I’ll see if it just needs to be broken in or if it’s the ammo or the pistol! Thanks for the advice always appreciated-thanks again matt

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah there is no lock! When a live round is in the chamber it won’t let me pull the slide back! It’ll hardly pull back 1/4 of an inch and that’s all it’ll do! The only way to get the round out is by firing that round! It’s very odd? I was wondering if it could be the ammunition? I’m hesitant on using different ammo and loading a round in the chamber and not being able to eject it! The gun is 💯% new I’ve only shot maybe two or three clips thru the gun so far, wondering if I should go and put a hundred or two rounds thru it and maybe break it in a little more?
Maybe the problem is that you're using clips instead of magazines. Lol. Sorry i couldn't resist.

·
15,452 Posts
AHH yea--count me OUT on the using a dowel to dislodge a live round in a chamber/barrel!
but Interestingly I have never wanted to have a weapon that I could not unchamber a live round, especially with a carry/ self defense gun!
soo I would find a safe range, fire that round in the chamber and quickly contact Taurus to fix this thing!
Thanks for pointing that out.
👍

I should have made a point of mentioning that once the slide was back, it could be field stripped, AND THEN, the bullet removed from the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
38,267 Posts
I think I would polish the chamber

·
Registered
86 Posts
The problem isn't the ammo or the chamber. His slide is "locked" forward. Something is obstructing the slide. Perhaps the recoil spring has jumped the track or a part in the firing mechanism has dislodged or broken.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The problem isn't the ammo or the chamber. His slide is "locked" forward. Something is obstructing the slide. Perhaps the recoil spring has jumped the track or a part in the firing mechanism has dislodged or broken.
The problem absolutely is the ammo or chamber. The slide is 'locked' forward because of the extractor hooked on the case rim.
If you set the pistol down, barrel pointing to the right, the extractor will be face up. take something strong and push on the left side of the extractor (over the spring) to disconnect it from the case rim. You may have to hold the extractor down with one hand and move the frame with the other just enough to keep the extractor from re-latching onto the rim
This will allow you to open the slide, use the takedown, and dismantle the gun . Afterwards, a good pop down the barrel with a dowel will dislodge the stuck round with no risk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts