Link doesn't open.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thx, much better....😀

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
same as my loads--in the 900-950 FPS range.
I use either the 80 grain copper HP, or the Gold Dot projectile .

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
same as my loads--in the 900-950 FPS range.
I use either the 80 grain copper HP, or the Gold Dot projectile .
Reason I don't bother loading HP in the .380 is that in order to get any kind of decent expansion you have to drive them faster than most of the small pistols can safely tolerate. There may be an exception with the full copper 80 gn bullets you make reference to. Those may be soft enough to expand at lower velocities. I have some but haven't tested them out yet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Did some chrony testing of reloads for my .380's periodically over the past 10 years or so, & generally settled on a 95 gn JRN bullet driven by Bullseye that yielded just over 900 fps. Some 90 gn JHP factory Corbon's that I had, tested out at a 5 shot group average velocity of ~ 988 fps so my reloads were right in the ballpark for what I was looking for. Didn't want to drive any bullet I had, lead or jacketed, any faster than that in these little mouse guns for fear of ending up with tragic results.
In you best estimate, for more controlabilty( we are talking 380 Mouse guns) what is the optimum grain and FPS? and I do not know any thing about reloading , just what I see on the box or what I read,, But Curious.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
In you best estimate, for more controlabilty( we are talking 380 Mouse guns) what is the optimum grain and FPS? and I do not know any thing about reloading , just what I see on the box or what I read,, But Curious.
At first I used my Bersa CC Thunder then started using my Diamondback DB380, which is quite small, & noticed that the higher up on the curve I got (bullet wt. & velocity) the more of a jolt that they produced, especially the DB, but they were always controllable. The DB has such great ergonomics that it's pretty easy to control.

To answer your question, my favorite is the one I listed & that is the 95 gn RN & a FN version driven at 900+ fps.

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
in my opinion there is soo much that depends on the exact weapon and the shooter of course!
First off I shoot a lot of 45 acp and 10 MM and while they are not full power loads i simply do not load or shoot powder puff loads.
IF I shoot a 45 , 10 MM or 38 super I want it to act/shoot/feel like one, not like a 380 or 9 MM.
anyway I have a TCP that is simply uncomfortable to shoot for any period and with any ammo, the defense stuff its worse, on the opposite end of the line up I have a sig 238 and can virtually shoot it all day , even with defense loads.
the bersa is pretty mild as well as its a blow back and a bit larger and heavier.
I also got a Browning clone made by ATI that isn't at all bad but its a stacked mag and pretty bulky so an occasional range time is about all it ever gets used.
that 900 or so FPS seems to work for several, i believe thats the same loading range that Fishing in Key largo uses?
I know thats the cats meow with the Hornady XTP projectile, which i also did use.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
in my opinion there is soo much that depends on the exact weapon and the shooter of course!
First off I shoot a lot of 45 acp and 10 MM and while they are not full power loads i simply do not load or shoot powder puff loads.
IF I shoot a 45 , 10 MM or 38 super I want it to act/shoot/feel like one, not like a 380 or 9 MM.
anyway I have a TCP that is simply uncomfortable to shoot for any period and with any ammo, the defense stuff its worse, on the opposite end of the line up I have a sig 238 and can virtually shoot it all day , even with defense loads.
the bersa is pretty mild as well as its a blow back and a bit larger and heavier.
I also got a Browning clone made by ATI that isn't at all bad but its a stacked mag and pretty bulky so an occasional range time is about all it ever gets used.
that 900 or so FPS seems to work for several, i believe thats the same loading range that Fishing in Key largo uses?
I know thats the cats meow with the Hornady XTP projectile, which i also did use.
Agreed on the Sig 238 and the XTP loads, Thank you Both !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any manufacturer that thinks the .380 is dead has got to think that women no longer conceal carry.
Hey now, I’m a guy and I daily a LCP2 in .380 I live I. Florida and wear basketball shorts and a tee shirt 9 months of the year. I carry my G2c or my LC9s when it’s cool enough to wear long jeans and a light sweater. It also doesn’t help that I’m 6 foot and 155 lbs.
I can IWB carry or pocket carry in any attire with the LCP2. I have an extended mag that’s 7+1 and another 6 in my pocket all filled with 95 grain Sig Crown V JHP’s, I feel completely confident I can defend myself with a subcompact.380
Remember, a handgun is just means to fight your way to your rifle. And that’s not a .380. The caliber does start with a 3 though. “300 blackout”

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hey now, I'm a .380 fan too. Wasn't saying that the .380 is strictly a woman's gun. Just sayin' that probably more women gravitate towards that gun/caliber than do men because of the smaller size & relatively lower recoil.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey now, I'm a .380 fan too. Wasn't saying that the .380 is strictly a woman's gun. Just sayin' that probably more women gravitate towards that gun/caliber than do men because of the smaller size & relatively lower recoil.
If you see me in public, unless I'm wearing a bathing suit, I have a .380. There might also be a 9mm or .40S&W, but there's always a .380.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
If you see me in public, unless I'm wearing a bathing suit, I have a .380. There might also be a 9mm or .40S&W, but there's always a .380.
[/QUOTE) Still looking to see if and when they decide to release a GX4 -380, I see on one site, I think its guns.com has the GX4 two tone for 299.00 theres your sub 300. price , thats really hard to beat, I mean come on!!!

·
Super Moderator
38,298 Posts
Good Question , But then Why do some offer 9, 40, and 45, I guess just to have the option , It just seems like a good size to give it a try, I have the SCCY and I Like it , though it is Chunky , so I thought what if? thats all, I would be interested ,
Just like Beretta makes the Cheetah in 9mm and 380auto. There most probably is a market and the cost to produce minimal to the 9mm

61 - 76 of 76 Posts