Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Purchased new GX4 (with C in the serial number). Oiled it and took it to the range to break in and had a heck of a time getting through first 50 rounds. Multiple (over 15) failure to feed, several failure to fully chamber (sorry if that’s not the terminology ). Got home View attachment 494809
and inspected and I noticed both magazines had damage to the plastic follower, a groove where it looks like the bullet turns up toward the feed ramp. I’m new to shooting and wonder if anyone knows
1) what causes this ?
2) will this cause further issues ?

I haven’t seen any forums mentioning this issue.
Thanks ,
GGG

sorry about pic in middle of post :)
It looks somewhat like the spring, is canted, higher in the front, It may need to be turned around, so It is pressing upward level, also the only time that would be scratched up Is on the last feed, seems more likely that happens when mag is loaded fully.

· Registered
54 Posts
I am not aware of any firearm that is designed to chamber a round from the magazine when it is inserted into the weapon, course i am not the most aware person either.
I do have a couple of weapons that will do this IF the magazine is firmly inserted into the weapon, which is fine with me as thats the way i insert a magazine into a semi auto pistol always.
as these are self defense weapons then i simply look at it as saving one step in a tactical reload (pulling the slide rearward and letting go /or hitting the slide lock), as I know whats going on and expect it then its a bonus to me personally.
So since a number of us were wondering about this happening, I emailed Chris Randall, creator of the YouTube Channel, Honest Outlaw. Chris is very experienced with firearms, and I believed he would know about this. According to Chris, this happens to ALL pistols regardless of manufacturer and models. He further stated that it happens more by how you hold the pistol. It's not a defect but something to be aware of.

I've never had it happen to me as I don't slam the mag into the mag well on my pistol. Perhaps try reducing the force of pushing the mags into the mag well, and see if that might prevent that from happening.

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Here is an article as well as a couple of Glock threads that talk about "slam" loading. Some of the posts say it's a design feature, whereas others say it is not. I have no idea which is correct ... since it's in writing on the Internet, both opinions are obviously true! 😆

Section 2 under: "Tips and Considerations in Racking A Pistol Slide" Racking the Pistol Slide: Technique Not Strength
(It starts out saying: "A lot of pistols will auto-load or have the slide go forward and chamber a round after you firmly slam a magazine into the magazine well. For example, some of my S&W M&Ps, H&Ks, and Sigs do this.")

I hope the OP is able to ask Taurus about it when he sends the GX4 in for repair. It would be nice to know one way or the other. Cheers!
If I slam my bedroom door hard enough that the mirror over my dresser is knocked off the wall, does not make it a feature. I can't imagine how hard you'd have to slam a magazine in order to make the slide drop. I own a boat load of 1911s and another couple of boats of M&Ps, Rugers, Sigs, Glocks, CZs among other brands. Yes, I own some Taurus handguns too. Not even once in more years than I care to admit, have I slammed a magazine on any of them and had the slide drop. The tip in section two is bogus too.

· Registered
62 Posts
That's what's so odd about it, the mag does not need to be "slammed" at all, more like firmly or intentionally inserted, which is what makes it seem like more of a feature rather than a defect. Of course, for those who have never experienced it before, it no doubt seems like a defect...and it very well could be a defect.

· Registered
54 Posts
That's what's so odd about it, the mag does not need to be "slammed" at all, more like firmly or intentionally inserted, which is what makes it seem like more of a feature rather than a defect. Of course, for those who have never experienced it before, it no doubt seems like a defect...and it very well could be a defect.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes this. I did an experiment a little bit ago to see how this could actually be achieved. First off, I removed a loaded mag from my G2C. Then I pulled the slide back and locked it open with the stop/release. I then loaded the mag into the pistol by slamming it. Not once did the slide release on it's own, chambering the first round in the mag. Next I performed the same experiment and this time I rested my thumb on the slide stop/release. The slide flew forward, and chambered the first round in the mag. I discovered that it's quite possible, people who experience the slide moving forward by slamming the mag into the pistol, possibly had their thumb resting on the slide stop/release. By slamming the mag upwards in the mag well, the pressure is causing the pistol to move in their hand, and thus with their thumb resting on the slide stop/release, they're actuating that and releasing the slide. So perhaps the fix to that would be to no rest your thumb on the slide stop/release while "slamming a mag" into your pistol, or stop slamming the mags into the pistol as it's totally and completely unnecessary.

· Registered
55 Posts
I have the GX4XL and G3. All my followers are chewed up. Lightly sanded them just incase but its never caused a prob. Had some FTF fully in the Gx4xl. Somewhere in the first 400 rounds some metal shavings and or stuff got in the extractor and it was locked up. Sprayed some cleaner in there for a minute, oiled it then worked it back n forth. No more FTF. Had exact same thing happen on a 43x in first 4 hundo. Now I clean extractors after every use.

· Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will try polishing the ramp before I send it off. I had read some old threads saying it took them 6 weeks to fix the firearm. Good to hear it's only about 2 weeks. If things don't get better after polishing the feed ramp, back it goes.
I think they might have gotten a bad batch of plastic followers..Try getting a MecGar and If it stops u know, If It's poor Materials or not.

· Registered
153 Posts
I have the GX4XL and G3. All my followers are chewed up. Lightly sanded them just incase but its never caused a prob. Had some FTF fully in the Gx4xl. Somewhere in the first 400 rounds some metal shavings and or stuff got in the extractor and it was locked up. Sprayed some cleaner in there for a minute, oiled it then worked it back n forth. No more FTF. Had exact same thing happen on a 43x in first 4 hundo. Now I clean extractors after every use.
One thing for sure. In all my semi's, I am very OCD about cleaning the Extractors. It is amazing how much crud can accumulate on the inside.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts