Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new GX4 (with C in the serial number). Oiled it and took it to the range to break in and had a heck of a time getting through first 50 rounds. Multiple (over 15) failure to feed, several failure to fully chamber (sorry if that’s not the terminology ). Got home
Wood Finger Paper towel Toilet paper Household supply

and inspected and I noticed both magazines had damage to the plastic follower, a groove where it looks like the bullet turns up toward the feed ramp. I’m new to shooting and wonder if anyone knows
1) what causes this ?
2) will this cause further issues ?

I haven’t seen any forums mentioning this issue.
Thanks ,
GGG

sorry about pic in middle of post :)

· Registered
631 Posts
I checked both of my mags and both have about the same amount of wear as yours.

Like you, I had multiple failures to feed with a new handgun but it was a Ruger LCP Max. I contacted their customer service and they sent me another slide assembly with barrel and that fixed the issues. That’s why I don’t believe it’s the magazines

Couple of things you might try - Hand polish the barrel ramp with Mother’s Mag polish or Flitz, whatever you have on hand.

Or contact Taurus Customer Service and let them fix it. From what I’ve been reading lately, it’s taking them about 10 business days to get it fixed and back to you. Not bad at all.

· Registered
64 Posts
Purchased new GX4 (with C in the serial number). Oiled it and took it to the range to break in and had a heck of a time getting through first 50 rounds. Multiple (over 15) failure to feed, several failure to fully chamber (sorry if that’s not the terminology ). Got home View attachment 494809
and inspected and I noticed both magazines had damage to the plastic follower, a groove where it looks like the bullet turns up toward the feed ramp. I’m new to shooting and wonder if anyone knows
1) what causes this ?
2) will this cause further issues ?

I haven’t seen any forums mentioning this issue.
Thanks ,
GGG

sorry about pic in middle of post :)
That's just normal wear as the spring follower is made of plastic. You didn't mention if you're using brass cased ammo or steel cased ammo, but I would think the steel cased ammo could wear the spring follower quicker than brass because brass is softer than steel.

· Registered
175 Posts
It is normal, In fact I believe it is suppose to do that just like Lake line say;s about their followers on other firearms. Mecgar is a leader in Magazines. All mine have it and I was expecting it to happen when I bought them. I have 8 mags.All function great in my GX4

Saw this when I bought follwers from Lakeline.
After being used in a Kahr pistol, the aluminum conforms to the tolerances that break plastic followers without doing any harm to the barrel or pistol. That leaves a couple of "dinged" looking areas in the follower that are really just the part breaking in.

· Registered
62 Posts
I have 3,600 rounds thru my GX4, and all three of my mag followers look like that, but they work fine. In the past, I've used 600 grit wet sandpaper to smooth those grooves, and then I polished the plastic with Flitz. I just recently replaced the magazine springs, but I re-used the original followers.

As others have mentioned, polishing the feed ramp might help. Also, if you haven't already done so, disassemble the mags, thoroughly clean them, and reassemble them dry (as in no oil or other lubrication inside the mag).

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of my mags look like that and all have been fired, but there have been no feeding issues at all. I would like to see a follower in unfired condition.
Thank you for checking! I inspected my mags when new, and they didn't have the groove. With that said there might have been some light wear I didnt notice.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's just normal wear as the spring follower is made of plastic. You didn't mention if you're using brass cased ammo or steel cased ammo, but I would think the steel cased ammo could wear the spring follower quicker than brass because brass is softer than steel.
It was brass. Thank you for your feedback! For what its worth, I have over 500 rounds in my SW Shield 9 EZ and the follower has not grooves or damage.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked both of my mags and both have about the same amount of wear as yours.

Like you, I had multiple failures to feed with a new handgun but it was a Ruger LCP Max. I contacted their customer service and they sent me another slide assembly with barrel and that fixed the issues. That’s why I don’t believe it’s the magazines

Couple of things you might try - Hand polish the barrel ramp with Mother’s Mag polish or Flitz, whatever you have on hand.

Or contact Taurus Customer Service and let them fix it. From what I’ve been reading lately, it’s taking them about 10 business days to get it fixed and back to you. Not bad at all.
Thanks for the tips. I will try polishing the ramp before I send it off. I had read some old threads saying it took them 6 weeks to fix the firearm. Good to hear it's only about 2 weeks. If things don't get better after polishing the feed ramp, back it goes.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 3,600 rounds thru my GX4, and all three of my mag followers look like that, but they work fine. In the past, I've used 600 grit wet sandpaper to smooth those grooves, and then I polished the plastic with Flitz. I just recently replaced the magazine springs, but I re-used the original followers.

As others have mentioned, polishing the feed ramp might help. Also, if you haven't already done so, disassemble the mags, thoroughly clean them, and reassemble them dry (as in no oil or other lubrication inside the mag).
Thanks for the information! I did take one magazine apart as others have said they could be dirty from the factory, however it was very clean. Almost nothing on my cloth. I didn't try the other but will go ahead just in case.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: went to the range after some polishing of feed ramp and more cleaning.continued to have FTF and slide not going fully into battery.
I borrowed my friends and shot it just fine (ruling out limp wrist/user error). I also used my mags in theirGX4 and all was fine.
so now, I’m mailing it back to Taurus.
One odd thing, my fiends would automatically chamber a round when you slide a full magazine in. It’s not supposed to do that but. Guess I’ll go see if that is another known issue.

I will update when I get it back.

· Registered
62 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Actually, some guns are designed to chamber a round when you forceably insert a magazine. My GX4 does it, also. I actually find it to be a nice feature for a carry/defense gun.

Just curious, did you use the exact same ammo with your magazines in your friend's gun? Some Taurus guns have very tight barrel chambers, so some brands of ammo can prevent a gun from fully going into battery. If you used your mags, but different ammo, that could (might, maybe, possibly) explain why your mags worked in a different GX4.

Then again, it could very well be the gun itself, and it needs to go back to Taurus.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks you. Same ammo for both guns, I always change only one variable at a time. Are you saying the GX4 is supposed to chamber when you forcibly insert the magazine? If so, that’s another functionality that does not work on my GX4, and I need to mention that for repair as well.

· Registered
175 Posts
The GX4 is not suppose to chamber when a mag is inserted. The first thing I would look at or do is a very good cleaning. Fortunately I have a sonic cleaner. There are other methods to get a deep cleaning but it could be some crude or metal interfering with the release or spring.
Your slide stop may not be making full contact with the notch in the slide release,
PS I never use a slide stop to release on any pistol other than my Kahr's which is part of the design, although I sling shot them as well.

· Registered
62 Posts
Are you saying the GX4 is supposed to chamber when you forcibly insert the magazine?
It's my understanding that some guns are designed to do that. I'm not saying that the GX4 is supposed to do so, however, mine will provided I insert the mag hard enough.

...it could be some crude or metal interfering with the release or spring.
Your slide stop may not be making full contact with the notch in the slide release,
As stated above, it's possible that the slide stop is not being fully engaged for whatever reason. Maybe you could mention it in your discrepancy write-up when you send the GX4 back to Taurus, and then post what they say about it. Maybe your friend and I need to have our GX4s looked at, as well.

· Registered
38,521 Posts
I am not aware of any firearm that is designed to chamber a round from the magazine when it is inserted into the weapon, course i am not the most aware person either.
I do have a couple of weapons that will do this IF the magazine is firmly inserted into the weapon, which is fine with me as thats the way i insert a magazine into a semi auto pistol always.
as these are self defense weapons then i simply look at it as saving one step in a tactical reload (pulling the slide rearward and letting go /or hitting the slide lock), as I know whats going on and expect it then its a bonus to me personally.

· Registered
64 Posts
I am not aware of any firearm that is designed to chamber a round from the magazine when it is inserted into the weapon, course i am not the most aware person either.
I do have a couple of weapons that will do this IF the magazine is firmly inserted into the weapon, which is fine with me as thats the way i insert a magazine into a semi auto pistol always.
as these are self defense weapons then i simply look at it as saving one step in a tactical reload (pulling the slide rearward and letting go /or hitting the slide lock), as I know whats going on and expect it then its a bonus to me personally.
I've never heard of that either. I would definitely be talking with Taurus about that.

· Registered
62 Posts
Here is an article as well as a couple of Glock threads that talk about "slam" loading. Some of the posts say it's a design feature, whereas others say it is not. I have no idea which is correct ... since it's in writing on the Internet, both opinions are obviously true! 😆

Section 2 under: "Tips and Considerations in Racking A Pistol Slide" Racking the Pistol Slide: Technique Not Strength
(It starts out saying: "A lot of pistols will auto-load or have the slide go forward and chamber a round after you firmly slam a magazine into the magazine well. For example, some of my S&W M&Ps, H&Ks, and Sigs do this.")

I hope the OP is able to ask Taurus about it when he sends the GX4 in for repair. It would be nice to know one way or the other. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts