Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Three letters before the serial number.

Two first letters are the year. AA means 2019, AB is 2020, AC for 2021...

Third letter is the month, starting with A for January.
I don't think those letters are going to work on the GX4. The GX4 was released late last year, so there won't be any from 2019 or 2020. I bought my first GX4 when they first came available and same for my GX4 T.O.R.O. Neither are a year old yet and they're both GA. It's unlikely that you'll find many that have reached their first birthday yet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My Spectrum, G2C and GX4 all have a stamp on the muzzle end of the grip that can be seen with the slide removed. This has an arrow pointing to the month number and the last two numbers of the year on each side of the arrow. This pic is of my G2C (it was the easiest to photograph):

Circle Gas Water Moisture Metal

This one was made in 4/2020 and the serial number corresponds with the information that Erick provided. My G4X was made in 12/2021. It has a serial number that begins with 1GA. My Spectrum has a serial number that begins with 1FO and was made in 8/2017.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't think those letters are going to work on the GX4. The GX4 was released late last year, so there won't be any from 2019 or 2020. I bought my first GX4 when they first came available and same for my GX4 T.O.R.O. Neither are a year old yet and they're both GA. It's unlikely that you'll find many that have reached their first birthday yet.
Taurus adopted an 3-letter date system code (unified for all guns) from October, 2019.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My Spectrum, G2C and GX4 all have a stamp on the muzzle end of the grip that can be seen with the slide removed. This has an arrow pointing to the month number and the last two numbers of the year on each side of the arrow. This pic is of my G2C (it was the easiest to photograph):

View attachment 491716

This one was made in 4/2022 and the serial number corresponds with the information that Erick provided. My G4X was made in 12/2021. It has a serial number that begins with 1GA. My Spectrum has a serial number that begins with 1FO and was made in 8/2017.
I see 20 with an arrow pointing to 4. Wouldn't that be 4/2020?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
YAC - You Are Correct.
What I find as odd, is that the GX4 was not released until May 2021. I grabbed the first one I could get my hands on and that was in July 2021. Yet, the mark on the frame is 5/20. It would seem odd that Taurus would stockpile GX4s for a full year before release. The T.O.R.O. model was released several months later and I bought mine in January of this year. The frame is marked 9/21, which seems a bit more reasonable. Both serial numbers begin with 1GA. All of my Taurus revolvers, my Millennium G2 and G3c begin with three-letter serials. Taurus may have created a new numbering convention for the GX4. My box for my recently acquired 942 is dated July of this year. Also marked with a serial preceded by three-letters.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The only thing that I can really be sure of is the month and year the grip stamp was branded. I called Taurus and inquired about my Spectrum with the 1FO serial number and they told me when it was made. That date matched the grip brand.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The only thing that I can really be sure of is the month and year the grip stamp was branded. I called Taurus and inquired about my Spectrum with the 1FO serial number and they told me when it was made. That date matched the grip brand.
I may do just that. It would be interesting to know what happened in those 14 months.

·
Premium Member
8,356 Posts
All of my Taurus handguns, whether imported through Miami or through Bainbridge are marked "Made in Brazil"
The TCP and the PT22Ply's were both made in the USA and had their own numbering scheme. Taurus had a great scheme with the 3-letter pattern it had used for many years. I'm sure someone had a "better" idea, but I always assumed they couldn't figure how to share the numbering scheme so the US made guns rolled their own.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The TCP and the PT22Ply's were both made in the USA and had their own numbering scheme. Taurus had a great scheme with the 3-letter pattern it had used for many years. I'm sure someone had a "better" idea, but I always assumed they couldn't figure how to share the numbering scheme so the US made guns rolled their own.
If memory serves, those were made in Florida and were discontinued but before Bainbridge construction began.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts