Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, new member here. Been lurking for a while reading posts on Taurus products and the GX4. Searched previous posts on the GX4 and read other forum reviews. The majority of posts and reviews were positive with the exception of a possible trigger issue and past QC issues. Looking for a concealed carry 9mm micro pistol. At first was thinking of a Glock 43X MOS, S&W Shield Plus and a Sig 365. Pretty much eliminated the Glock because of the overall height and been shooting Glocks since 1990. After shooting several different 9mm's discovered I really don't like the Glock trigger. Haven't shot a Shield yet but did have the opportunity to shoot the 365. Actually like the 365 and almost bought one two weeks ago. That was befre I heard about the GX4. It appears the GX4, like the 365, checks all the boxes (short barrel length, small profile/overall height and mag capacity). Would appreciate any GX4 owners sharing some of their experiences.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't know about the GX4, but I have a G2S (G2 "Slim"), a G3C as well. Really like both guns. About a week ago though my brother and I went out shooting for my birthday. He tried my G2S and I tried his S&W M&P Shield (normal single stack version).
I have to say I shot the shield a little better than the G's. The grip fit me slightly better I think was the biggest reason. My brother as well noted he did not think the G2S fit his hand well.
So just some $.02

·
Registered
319 Posts
Buy what you Feel is Best for you, I Have the GX4 and several other Taurus G series , for me it was the Price , I wont make any Bones about it, Everybody's hands are different so Your control is Paramount in Weapon Selection , and the GX4 fits good for Me , I have several Sigs and as Much as they are Great Firearms, They stay Indoors , I do not own the 365, But have shot one , and Its a good weapon, again the GX4 was the choice for me, cost and accessories still way below the price of most other firearms themselves, I think there will much more accessories for the GX4 line soon , with an array of sights already out there, I put on a 365 XL Hogue grip, and TruGlow Tritium/ Fiber Optic sights , 12. for the grip, and 49.00 for the sights 392.00 for the Gun, Hard to beat, and I already have Holsters that I can Modify to make use of , Win Win for me, Happy Shooting

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Imichael and BigAl appreciate the responses and advice. Whatever I get will be carried nearly every day (retired now). Definitely going to give the GX4 serious consideration. My carry priorities are reliability, concealability and comfort. I'm going to check some LGS in my area and hopefully locate a GX4. Had a few chances to hold and dry fire the Shield. It was OK but nothing really special. Right now it looks like the two best choices for me are the GX4 and 365. I would have no problem carrying a GX4 after a 150-200 round break in period without any issues.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've carried a P365 for a couple of years and quite happy with it. I saw the announcement for the GX4 and thought, "That's neat". The more I saw, the more I liked and I now own one. I sometimes buy firearms for curiosity's sake, so I don't know if I'll ever carry it, but I certainly would. It feels great in the hand and I find it reasonably accurate for a carry piece. I got it for a good price, but with some of the prices I'm seeing lately, I'm tempted to buy another.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Medically retired about two years ago. I carry daily, and normally just stick to my j frames and 380s. But loving these newer 9mm micros that is out now.

I have owned/own/rented the following:
1)P365. Really small. Doesn’t recoil much, shoots like a bigger pistol. But found myself gripping too hard and having the slide prematurely lock back or a mag drop while shooting. Wish Sig made different sized grip modules like they do for the 320/250 series. I think the 365XL is probably the best due to the longer rsa. Makes for a sweet shooter.
2) Shield Plus. Felt great in my hands, hardly any recoil. But I can’t hit squat with it or any Shield version. My lost, cause I really like the Shield series. But it is heavy and on par with several compacts weight wise.
3) Max 9. I shot it great, and had great follow ups. Really impressed. But I really don’t think it’s a daily shooter. I don’t see it lasting as long as the others.
4)G43. Old reliable. But very snappy in my hands.
5)G43X/48. The 43X is one of the few Glocks I have left in carry rotation. I think it’s awesome. But it’s a full size gun in a way, with the long grip. I do carry it, AIWB or in shoulder holster due to shoulder replacement in early summer. I shoot it great. Like the 365XL, think it’s way easier to shoot than it’s smaller “parent”.
6)GX4. I have out about 500 rounds through a friend’s GX4, but I have mine in layaway and will pick it up Sunday! Just ordered a BigMuddyTactical holster and mag holder for it. Have 500rds ready for it for a break in. Will be my new EDC. Why did it replace the others? Fit mainly. Why Sig or Glock can’t get it through their head to either add back straps or different size grip modules to their very popular pistols, I just don’t get it. And it’s a solid little pistol. Really surprised me, brings Taurus up to the big leagues. It’s a lot of pistol for the $340 OTD price I got it for.

Side note, I have shot the G2S and really liked it. I would carry it if it wasn’t for the safety being on the wrong side. Lefty here, just not a clever name. Said it many times, wish Taurus would just leave the safety off, offer models without safeties, or allow them to be taken off and have a part to fill-in the void like SW does. Same with the G3 series great shooter,

ETA: before anyone does the “eye roll” towards me about 500 round claim. Cabela’s has their Herter line of ammo, always in stock, in 500rd packs for $159.99 daily. I train a couple of service dog teams there in Columbus on Sundays and pick a case up about every over week or at least once a month. That’s still cheaper than a pack a cigarettes a day for a month, or a fancy coffee drink daily for a month. Prioritize your resources.

Good luck,
Lefty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Appreciate all the responses. Stopped by a LGS today to see if they had a GX4 in stock. Unfortunately the didn't have a GX4 but did have several G3C's. Checked out several G3C's and was pleasantly surprised by the fit, finish, trigger and overall quality. I would've walked out with a new G3C if I didn't already have 9mm's in same size/dimensions. The LGS said they are going to order a few GX4's so hopefully will be able to see/hold one in person. Honestly, if I had a need for a 9mm in that size I would have bought the G3C. Then again you can never have too many.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Appreciate all the responses. Stopped by a LGS today to see if they had a GX4 in stock. Unfortunately the didn't have a GX4 but did have several G3C's. Checked out several G3C's and was pleasantly surprised by the fit, finish, trigger and overall quality. I would've walked out with a new G3C if I didn't already have 9mm's in same size/dimensions. The LGS said they are going to order a few GX4's so hopefully will be able to see/hold one in person. Honestly, if I had a need for a 9mm in that size I would have bought one. Then again you can never have too many.
Can't go wrong with the G3C but your patience will be rewarded for the GX4.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I go around to several lgs's looking for a gx4 to hold but still haven't found one yet. It's either a gx4, hellat or shield plus. I have a shield 1.0 and a pt111 g2 mill pro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought about a GX4 but no frame safety = no carry for me.
I have/had several semi-auto with frame safeties (Colt Series 70 1911 and S&W 3913 plus others). Carried the 1911 on duty for eight years until the department switched to Glocks. Carried G21, G22 and G23 on/off duty at one time or another for 26 years. None of the Glocks had a frame mounted safety. I guess its all a matter of personal comfort level. Nothing wrong with preferring a frame mounted safety. Nothing wrong with carrying a semiauto with a trigger/striker block safety either. With the proper holster (one completely covering trigger with an open bottom) the GX4, to me, would be safe to carry. Granted, this would also depend on one's training, range time, profiency level and familiarity with any given weapon. Bottom line, there are excellent carry choices with or without frame safeties out there. I would feel comfortable with either and respect anyone elses choice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm one of those but just had to try it anyway. The lack of manual safety has caused me to reconsider my carry protocols. Any experience you have to share that caused your preference for this feature?
I just simply do not trust that little "blade" on the trigger to do it's job 100% of the time. Not to dredge up a different argument. But, I still go back to the Sig P320 issues. Very easy to play arm chair quarterback (as people did with unintended vehicle acceleration). But until you've actually had it happen to you or witnessed it happen to someone you know you will never know. So you can cover the trigger all you want but I don't trust it. Just like I don't trust a vehicle to not do something I don't expect. Expect the unexpected and plan for it.

have you thought about not chambering a round?
My trainer told me the issues and a couple videos like this Carrying With One In the Chamber: Good Thing Or Bad Thing? - YouTube

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've warmed up a little to the manual safety-less pistols, mostly because I always carry in a kydex clip holster. Keep the pistol in the holster at all times and it acts as part of the safety system. Before those holsters were available most non trash holsters had to have the belt run through them and were a pain to deal with. Almost had an ND with a glock, my shirt got stuck on the trigger while holstering it. That scared the snot out of me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If Taurus comes out with a GX4 equipped with a "real" safety it just might turn out to be my next purchase but until they do they'll remain on the shelf. Again that is my hot button. I think training to always "flick" the safety while being drawn is a non issue and so easy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've warmed up a little to the manual safety-less pistols, mostly because I always carry in a kydex clip holster. Keep the pistol in the holster at all times and it acts as part of the safety system. Before those holsters were available most non trash holsters had to have the belt run through them and were a pain to deal with. Almost had an ND with a glock, my shirt got stuck on the trigger while holstering it. That scared the snot out of me.
The possibility of a ND is concerning. That possibility keeps me going back and forth between the GX4 and a Sig 365 MS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If Taurus comes out with a GX4 equipped with a "real" safety it just might turn out to be my next purchase but until they do they'll remain on the shelf. Again that is my hot button. I think training to always "flick" the safety while being drawn is a non issue and so easy
Carried a GM 1911 on duty several years before agency switched to Glocks. Trained extensively deactivating thumb safety and a level III retention holster. Became second nature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went to an indoor range today and rented a GX4. Initial impression: quality and workmanship was fine. Shot 100 rounds with no problems. Since it was a well used range gun figured 100 rounds would be sufficient. I would have no reservations now carrying the GX4. The only negative was the trigger (for me any way). The range had a Sig 365XL to rent. Tried the XL and really liked it. Preferred the XL straight trigger over the 365 Nitron curved. Nothing wrong with the GX4 but after comparing the GX4 to the 365XL decided to go with the 365XL. On a side note, still thinking about a G3C.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts