Taurus Firearm Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
My ruger is an sr22 and the last few times out it has also had a few failures to eject and locked up on me once. I believe it is an ammo issue potentially as the cases seem to be expanding as they need to be forced out when they do stick. (I think a bad batch of ammo) I just figured I would have him look at it while he has the taurus. The ruger has thousands of rounds through it and never had an issue before so at bare minimum a complete disassembly ( more than a field strip) and lube seems to be in order.
The price is right so why not right?
I use to be an avid Taurus fan. I would argue ad nauseam with "snobs" over on GlockTalk, DefensiveCarry, Smith-Wessonforum, etc about how Taurus of late is not like the Taurus of old. How they change everything around since the G2 series. Now I rather just spend the extra money and save myself from a headache. The Ruger LC9 Max, Shield Plus, and Hellcat are worth the extra $100-$150 just for peace of mind alone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I use to be an avid Taurus fan. I would argue ad nauseam with "snobs" over on GlockTalk, DefensiveCarry, Smith-Wessonforum, etc about how Taurus of late is not like the Taurus of old. How they change everything around since the G2 series. Now I rather just spend the extra money and save myself from a headache. The Ruger LC9 Max, Shield Plus, and Hellcat are worth the extra $100-$150 just for peace of mind alone.
I have the shield and the hellcat osp and they are great but I wanted to try the gx4 as well. While taurus quality control sucks and imho their gunsmiths clearly do as well. I will get it fixed and it will run 100% I believe. I have a very good gunsmith who is more than confident that he can and will fix it. While I agree the hellcat is nicer the Taurus cost me exactly half and certainly has a far better trigger.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I shot a Hellcat, but did not like it much. Shot a SIG P365XL, and did like it. Having large hands can be a pain with small handguns...you should see me with my Ruger LCP! 😆

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
I shot a Hellcat, but did not like it much. Shot a SIG P365XL, and did like it. Having large hands can be a pain with small handguns...you should see me with my Ruger LCP! 😆
yea the sig 365 works just fine for me as well.
Yea, well you can see what i decided on for carry, reliability and service--should i need it.
about 800 or so rounds through it so far with nary a bump in the road.

Sleeve Line Art Rectangle Font
Sleeve Line Art Rectangle Font
Product Font Handwriting Line Circle

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brought my new gx4 to the range and it didn't go like I had hoped. Quite a few failures to eject with one just about locking the slide. First few mags no problem then about 1 failure per mag. Then I could run a few more mags then back to 1 failure per mag. I used 2 different magazines and several different factory ammo.
Then the icing on the cake my front sight popped off. This is my first taurus and so far less than impressed. Hopefully taurus fixes it the first time.
I had a similar problem and almost sent it back to Taurus, but think I have it figured out. I was using 9mm NATO and had all kinds of problems (8 of 13 FTE's). Changed it up and started using 9mm Lugar and have had zero problems. The pressure difference between these two rounds was the culprit in my situation. The GX4 is now my EDC as I have regained confidence in its reliability. Hope this helps. Peace all.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
I had a similar problem and almost sent it back to Taurus, but think I have it figured out. I was using 9mm NATO and had all kinds of problems (8 of 13 FTE's). Changed it up and started using 9mm Lugar and have had zero problems. The pressure difference between these two rounds was the culprit in my situation. The GX4 is now my EDC as I have regained confidence in its reliability. Hope this helps. Peace all.

HMMM?
well in my opinion thats actually a little scary.
so what are you planning on doing for carry ammo using the lowest powered stuff you can find?
or have you tried it with self defense ammo?
to each his own but before any weapon goes into carry rotation it runs 500 rounds flawlessly, this includes some 5-6-7different self defense ammo as well as range ammo of different weights.
but as i mentioned to each his own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HMMM?
well in my opinion thats actually a little scary.
so what are you planning on doing for carry ammo using the lowest powered stuff you can find?
or have you tried it with self defense ammo?
to each his own but before any weapon goes into carry rotation it runs 500 rounds flawlessly, this includes some 5-6-7different self defense ammo as well as range ammo of different weights.
but as i mentioned to each his own.
Self defense ammo is good to go in a 9x19 cartridge. If I wanted more power I wouldn't be carrying a 9mm. Like you said, to each their own. Get your tools and ammo lined up for reliable emergency operation and your done. My intent for this firearm in an emergency situation does not involve running a variety of ammunition. Just sharing my experiences regarding GX4 failure to eject experiences. I'm sure the community appreciates your opinion. Peace Brother.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts