Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my new gx4 to the range and it didn't go like I had hoped. Quite a few failures to eject with one just about locking the slide. First few mags no problem then about 1 failure per mag. Then I could run a few more mags then back to 1 failure per mag. I used 2 different magazines and several different factory ammo.
Then the icing on the cake my front sight popped off. This is my first taurus and so far less than impressed. Hopefully taurus fixes it the first time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Brought my new gx4 to the range and it didn't go like I had hoped. Quite a few failures to eject with one just about locking the slide. First few mags no problem then about 1 failure per mag. Then I could run a few more mags then back to 1 failure per mag. I used 2 different magazines and several different factory ammo.
Then the icing on the cake my front sight popped off. This is my first taurus and so far less than impressed. Hopefully taurus fixes it the first time.
Hope they get it straight for you. Zero problems with mine. I replaced the front sight on mine with the Ameriglo front night sight before the first range trip. Added a little blue Loctite for good measure.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I bought a PT111 G2 when they 1st came out & it came with plastic (or whatever) sights. After the slide heated up a bit from shooting the front sight started to rotate a bit so I tried tightening it & the threads melted so I replaced them with some Lakeside ones & never had that problem again. Don't know what material Taurus is using on their newer versions of that gun but I would hope its something better than the low quality plastic that was on mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to ask them to throw on the ameriglo front sight they sell while they have it. At my cost of course I just figure might as well save the shipping cost.
If they can get it all worked out I will love the gun. I shoot it better then my hellcat that I am infatuated with and the gx4 cost me exactly half.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Seems to be lots of spotty complaints about the new GX4 from members here. Some have not 1 problem out of the box while others are plagued with them. Hope its not going to be their "Spectrum" Part Deux.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Did You clean and lube it before you shot it for the 1st time?, I did not have any FTFs or FTEs the only issue I had was once in a while shooting I would hit the mag release, I changed out for the Lakeline Mag release and adjusted the spring and I too changed out the sights before I shot it, Just as all the rest of any New Models things will show up, for the most part The reviews are good overall,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I’m sorry to read that your new GX4 is having issues. Mine has been fine but the occasional lemon gets turned out.
Hopefully Taurus will get it running for you.
It happens, it is just a bit upsetting. It is my first taurus and to be honest it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I will give them a chance to fix it and if it all works out I'll probably pick up the tx22 competition as well because that looks pretty cool too.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Seems to be lots of spotty complaints about the new GX4 from members here. Some have not 1 problem out of the box while others are plagued with them. Hope its not going to be their "Spectrum" Part Deux.
Yeah, I am seeing that too. Maybe they were in a bit of a "rush", to jump on the Micro 9 bandwagon? Time will tell.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, I am seeing that too. Maybe they were in a bit of a "rush", to jump on the Micro 9 bandwagon? Time will tell.
Yeah just Like the P365 ,( Maybe they Rushed) a little to soon also ? and how about all of those other new models from other companies that were Rushed in? come on Guys , the GX4 is a Home run even with its teething issues , How about all the Ones you Dont hear about , The ones that run fine, just like any manufacturing company, I worked on a 80000.00 Tahoe that had 3 miles on that would not move , right off the truck , someone still bought it , and paid 90000.00 for it,

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yeah just Like the P365 ,( Maybe they Rushed) a little to soon also ? and how about all of those other new models from other companies that were Rushed in? come on Guys , the GX4 is a Home run even with its teething issues , How about all the Ones you Dont hear about , The ones that run fine, just like any manufacturing company, I worked on a 80000.00 Tahoe that had 3 miles on that would not move , right off the truck , someone still bought it , and paid 90000.00 for it,
Home run? I think not. It could be. I do like mine, even though the problems have been few and I think they may be magazine related. Still, there are many reports that an aftermarket part will fix the problem. That’s just not acceptable.

Add in the reports of trigger issues, self adjusting rear sights, and the worst set of sights on any of the micro 9’s. No….not a home run. To paraphrase a friend, batting .500 might be great in baseball, but on a handgun destined for social work, it’s not good at all.

And the Tahoe comparison? Not valid at all. To over-pay for a truck that doesn’t run only proves the old saying "there is a sucker born every day" is true.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah just Like the P365 ,( Maybe they Rushed) a little to soon also ? and how about all of those other new models from other companies that were Rushed in? come on Guys , the GX4 is a Home run even with its teething issues , How about all the Ones you Dont hear about , The ones that run fine, just like any manufacturing company, I
Home run? I think not. It could be. I do like mine, even though the problems have been few and I think they may be magazine related. Still, there are many reports that an aftermarket part will fix the problem. That’s just not acceptable.

Add in the reports of trigger issues, self adjusting rear sights, and the worst set of sights on any of the micro 9’s. No….not a home run. To paraphrase a friend, batting .500 might be great in baseball, but on a handgun destined for social work, it’s not good at all.

And the Tahoe comparison? Not valid at all. To over-pay for a truck that doesn’t run only proves the old saying "there is a sucker born every day" is true.
While I don't agree that the point about the Tahoe is the same I do agree about the p365 but that is the reason I have a slight aversion to sig. In my opinion they have a huge tendency to release firearms that are not ready for the market and let consumers work out the kinks. then after a period of time they do have a really good gun but I feel that is something they seem to be ok with.

In my opinion this isn't so much a gx4 problem but more of a taurus quality control problem. Which I believe is why their reputation is a bit spotty. I feel like they make an awesome product but too many are released with hiccups. But again I do think they will get my gun right it just sucks to have to wait for it again after just getting it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
While I don't agree that the point about the Tahoe is the same I do agree about the p365 but that is the reason I have a slight aversion to sig. In my opinion they have a huge tendency to release firearms that are not ready for the market and let consumers work out the kinks. then after a period of time they do have a really good gun but I feel that is something they seem to be ok with.

In my opinion this isn't so much a gx4 problem but more of a taurus quality control problem. Which I believe is why their reputation is a bit spotty. I feel like they make an awesome product but too many are released with hiccups. But again I do think they will get my gun right it just sucks to have to wait for it again after just getting it.
I do agree with your feeling , not the best 1st showing , When I Bought My Bersa Thunder CC , I paid about the same maybe alittle less not much , would not go thru a Mag without some sort of Jam to say the least after about 200 rounds runs great, hope it gets sorted out for you,

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Take it easy killer. I'm not saying it a piece of crap, I'm even considering buying one, but we all know that with cars, guns, and everything else, it's always (in the end) about the bottom line. If all these other gun makers are whipping out these new designs, and your company is not in on it, your losing money. And, whether or not you agree with me on this GX4 issue the OP is having, I am sure the designers at Taurus were like, "damn, we gotta come up with something that is gonna appeal and sell, because of a price point". Taurus has always been a "price point" option...not trying to take away from some of their great models that they have come out with lately.

Nhsmoker has it right in my humble opinion, and that is more of a QA problem, than a problem with the pistol design. I mean, I believe they built the thing with a long life span in mind. The inner chassis is one big ole piece of stainless steel, with slide rails that are long as they can be for such a small gun. Also, from being a CNC machinist for 27 years, I know how it all works. You would not believe some of the morons that are out there on a machine, and how many parts slip through inspection and all the way to the vendor, that are "questionable" at best. I'm old and grouchy, a bit of a perfectionist with everything in life, and tend to be hard on some of these younger ones they hire up, but when I have a machine that can hold tenths, I had better be putting out parts that are well within tolerance. If this goes on in the types of parts I run, I know full well it goes on at the machines at Taurus, SIG, Glock, etc. I believe the OP has a pistol that is at the ragged edge of parts tolerances, and it just is not performing up to the engineering standards that it is supposed to.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Take it easy killer. I'm not saying it a piece of crap, I'm even considering buying one, but we all know that with cars, guns, and everything else, it's always (in the end) about the bottom line. If all these other gun makers are whipping out these new designs, and your company is not in on it, your losing money. And, whether or not you agree with me on this GX4 issue the OP is having, I am sure the designers at Taurus were like, "damn, we gotta come up with something that is gonna appeal and sell, because of a price point". Taurus has always been a "price point" option...not trying to take away from some of their great models that they have come out with lately.

Nhsmoker has it right in my humble opinion, and that is more of a QA problem, than a problem with the pistol design. I mean, I believe they built the thing with a long life span in mind. The inner chassis is one big ole piece of stainless steel, with slide rails that are long as they can be for such a small gun. Also, from being a CNC machinist for 27 years, I know how it all works. You would not believe some of the morons that are out there on a machine, and how many parts slip through inspection and all the way to the vendor, that are "questionable" at best. I'm old and grouchy, a bit of a perfectionist with everything in life, and tend to be hard on some of these younger ones they hire up, but when I have a machine that can hold tenths, I had better be putting out parts that are well within tolerance. If this goes on in the types of parts I run, I know full well it goes on at the machines at Taurus, SIG, Glock, etc. I believe the OP has a pistol that is at the ragged edge of parts tolerances, and it just is not performing up to the engineering standards that it is supposed to.
Well Said,

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Since Nhsmoker’s problem appears sporadically, I would first suspect the feed ramp. A good polishing might provide the solution. I have had guns that required a break-in number of rounds before settling down and running reliably. A couple of hundred rounds of good ball ammo usually does the trick. I would suggest that you try this before sending it back and enduring the long wait associated with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since Nhsmoker’s problem appears sporadically, I would first suspect the feed ramp. A good polishing might provide the solution. I have had guns that required a break-in number of rounds before settling down and running reliably. A couple of hundred rounds of good ball ammo usually does the trick. I would suggest that you try this before sending it back and enduring the long wait associated with it.
Not sure I follow. Why would the feed ramp cause extraction issues? Also the sight popping off is an issue as well. The problem also didn't seem to diminish as I was approaching the 225-250 round count.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts