Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going back-and-forth between getting a GX4 or another Kahr. I really like the latest Taurus guns, unfortunately no one around has a GX4 in stock to handle. I can easily order online without handling one, but wanted to know the general consensus on the grip? Can you get a good 3 finger grip on the gun with average-sized hands? I hate having a pinky dangling off a gun, it just doesn't feel right to me, and I can't get a good purchase on the grip when unholstering unless it has a solid 3 finger grip. I am aware of the extended mags and Lakeline products, so a Lakeline pinky extension would be 1st purchase. If possible, could any of you post some pics of the GX4 in your hand with a grip? You can generally see when someone's hand size is close to yours. Sorry for such a strange request, but I want to be sure before I buy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I can't get 3 fingers on it without the pinky extension, but I'm accustomed to shooting handguns of all sizes so the 2-finger grip isn't a problem for me. I ordered the Ameriglo front sight and two pinky extensions from Taurus before I even bought the gun. If you've ever handled a Glock 43, Sig P365 or Springfield Hellcat, they're dead-close in size. Also very close to the Glocks 26, 27 and 33 in grip length, but much slimmer.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Tough decision. I have both. The KAHR, in my opinion, is the best semi-auto handgun out there for social work. (i think the Ruger LCR holds that distinction if you like revolvers) I wear extra large gloves and can get a 3 finger grip on my CW9, but just barely.

I can not get 3 fingers on the grip of my GX4 with the 11 round magazines. The trade off is it is smaller than my KAHR CW9 and you get 4 more rounds. With the extended mags I can get 3 fingers on the grip, but honestly, I would rather have a dangling pinky than use the magazine as a grip.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a CW9 and I found that the CW9 was very snappy, but it was a nice gun, and it has been a few years. The GX4 is as snappy as I considered my P365s, and I've heard the Hellcat is snappier so I'd infer that the GX4 isn't as bad. +0 pinky extensions on the GX4 make it a perfect fit, with the small included backstrap, just perfect.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm not particularly recoil sensitive. I don't see a lot of difference between my Glock 43, Sig p365, Hellcat and GX4. Though my Hellcat and GX4 may be just a touch more so. I was never a fan of Kahr until they bought Desert Eagle. I do love my Desert Eagle 1911s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Owned a Kahr P9, it shot well and soft for its size, My new Gx4 is a bit of a beast. I have smaller hands and 2 full fingers is all i can get on 11 rd mag. The pinky extensions are on their way :). BTW i installed a Hogue handall on the Gx4 from a Glock 26 and it fits very well
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
903 Posts
Did the sig 365 hogue grip fit I got one for my gx4 and can't get it on
Keep trying. I got a Hogue HandALL grip for my Glock 43. I almost gave up on it, but I finally got it on. It felt great but I figured with the extra thickness, I could might as well carry my Glocks 26 or 27, so I took it back off. Try soaking it in hot water first. Not boiling water, just hot tap water.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shoot often, and a member of a club. I have shot Pocket guns and Micro 9mm's extensively for well over a decade.In fact belong to a group of shooters that have done informal competition with them since the Ruger LCP first came out. We get together and test different guns like the Sig 365, Hellcat etc. I also own two Kahr's and a 365. The GX4 is without doubt the smoothest of all. I love the Kahr's and for their size they do handle recoil well. But no where near the smoothness of the GX4 The 365 is snappy as well, The design of the GX4 really shines.
Here is a table of a few. The Kahr does a have a heavy recoil spring and really does have a low felt recoil (Recoil factor Genitron)

Diamondback-DB9---9.28
Keltec PF-9------------9.79
Kimber Micro9--------8.02
Kahr CM9---------------7.7
*Ruger LC9S------------7.24
*Sig 365------------------6.99
Sig 938--------------------6.99
MP Shield-----------------6.8
Springfield Hellcat------6.78
Glock 43X------------------6.93
Taurus GX4----------------6.68
Beretta APX Carry--6.18