Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These horrifying new numbers show how America's lax gun laws hurt black Americans - Vox

Article said:
What's to blame for the alarming black homicide rate? The Violence Policy Center, which favors more restrictive gun laws, focused on firearms: "For homicides in which the weapon used could be identified, 84 percent of black victims (4,960 out of 5,891) were shot and killed with guns. Of these, 73 percent (3,609 victims) were killed with handguns. … In comparison, 65 percent of white victims and 74 percent of victims of all races were killed with guns."

The report concluded, "For black victims of homicide, like all victims of homicide, guns — usually handguns — are far and away the number-one murder tool. Successful efforts to reduce America’s black homicide toll, like America’s homicide toll as a whole, must put a focus on reducing access and exposure to firearms."

There are, of course, other factors behind these high levels of homicides, ranging from socioeconomic variables to urbanization to alcohol consumption. (We'll get to those later.) But the research shows that guns — and access to them — do play a big factor.

SNIP...

Despite all of this research, policymakers, particularly at the federal level, have opted not to pass comprehensive gun laws. To this day, America has much weaker gun laws than other developed nations. There's no sign of that changing anytime soon.

So what else can be done?

Guns, after all, are one factor, but not the only factor. The fact that researchers need to control for different variables, from urbanization to alcohol consumption, in gun studies is indicative of this: If guns were the single dominant issue when it came to violence, major statistical controls wouldn't be necessary.

I asked researchers about other policy ideas for reducing violence. Here are some of the ideas they put forward (which you can read about in much more detail here):

1. Stricter alcohol policies: Studies suggest that raising the alcohol tax, limiting the number of alcohol outlets, and even revoking repeat offenders' right to drink can cut back on violence.
  2. Hot-spot policing: Deploying police in blocks and neighborhoods with high levels of crime and violence, particularly if done in cooperation with the local community, can significantly reduce crime without displacing it to other areas and generally to positive reactions from locals.
  3. Focused deterrence policing: This strategy hones in on specific community problems (drugs, violence, and so on), and works with community groups, such as churches and schools, to get the individuals and groups who drive most of that activity to stop. It's partly credited with the "Boston miracle," in which the city saw violent crime drop 79 percent in the 1990s. And other research found that it can work in other places.
  4. Raise the age or grade for dropping out of school: A study published in the American Economic Journal analyzed different cohorts of kids, finding that the group with higher dropout rates was more likely to commit crime. The authors of the study said its findings indicate that raising the dropout age — from 16 to 18, for example, — or forcing students to complete a certain amount of grades before they can drop out could reduce crime.
  5. Behavioral intervention programs: One such program, Youth Guidance's Becoming A Man, targets youth who are at risk of getting into violent encounters and teaches them how to resolve conflicts peacefully. Randomized control trials by the University of Chicago Crime Lab found the program reduced violent crime arrests by 30 to 50 percent during the time of the intervention.
  6. Eliminate blighted housing: A 2015 study found that fixing up abandoned and vacant buildings in Philadelphia led to significant drops in overall crimes, total assaults, gun assaults, and nuisance crimes. There was no evidence that crime shifted to other areas, although there were signs that drug dealing, drug possession, and property crimes went up around remediated buildings. Still, net gains overall.

As the variety and depth of these ideas may suggest, there are a lot of things that policymakers could be doing to reduce America's extraordinary levels of violence — even if they refuse to enact new gun control measures.
Yep, and we lawfully-armed citizens are the ones living in a dream world.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Of course they are not going to look at the idea of how much so many organizations and groups have taken steps to DE-VALUE human life as a whole. No that would not be in any way a peice of the puzzle about this. "Just like we had to pass the healthcare bill to see what was in it".

·
Super Moderator
40,611 Posts
Take all the guns away and killers will just find another tool to use. Killers are killers what does race have to do with it?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
What do you expect from Vox? You ever notice that the liberal rags never have a comment section? Guess they don't want anyone to mess up their articles with truth or logic.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Guns are racist! They want to kill black people! If I ever get them back, I will enroll them in diversity and sensitivity training..!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
We went through this in the 70s with drugs. Black leaders, alarmed by the influx of drugs in black communities (and there is some significant evidence of government implication in that), were quick to agree to Draconian laws in a War on Drugs that were crafted in a way to apply specifically to blacks.

It's now recognized that the laws have done at least as much damage as the drugs.

We don't need to do the same thing with guns.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
No. The problem is illiteracy. You can't obey laws that you can't read.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
If the guns are killing black people, don't let black people have guns. Problem solved.

Reactions: tmail65

·
Administrator
40,151 Posts
If the guns are killing black people, don't let black people have guns. Problem solved.
I think some politician alluded to that very thing sometime back. Got criticized some for it too.

I think it's a complex problem, in that the family unit has to be corrected, and that will take generations if you can get anyone's attention.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
See and I think it's restrictive laws that are responsible. Think about what it costs to own a pistol plus get a carry permit in IL. Maybe $600-$700? The poorer people that live in the worst neighborhoods can't afford to buy a gun. Plus it's almost impossible to own a pistol in Chicago. No one can protect themselves.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I make it a point not to read any article on vox. If they wont allow my rebuttal,I won't allow them to preach to me from their high horse. They usually have some sort of headline that sucks me in, but I make a conscious effort to look at the source and if it is vox, I pass it on by. Good riddance.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
This is the New York slashing thing. Can't get a gun, going to use something else. People that will shoot into a crowd without any consideration for those they're shooting at will have no hesitation in fashioning a bomb and tossing it into a crowd.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: pauly22

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
I think some politician alluded to that very thing sometime back. Got criticized some for it too...................
I was just being facetious but that really doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take all the guns away and killers will just find another tool to use. Killers are killers what does race have to do with it?
I was referring to the fact that even the author admitted that guns aren't the biggest issue. Race doesn't have anything to do with it, necessarily. It's more of the upbringing that is the problem. Teach kids that actions have consequences, and they usually learn that killing and robbing people isn't exactly a good career, before they hurt an innocent person.

The author, like the antis, just want to blame the guns because guns can't call them out on their lies.:mad:

Article said:
What's to blame for the alarming black homicide rate?

SNIP...

Guns, after all, are one factor, but not the only factor. The fact that researchers need to control for different variables, from urbanization to alcohol consumption, in gun studies is indicative of this: If guns were the single dominant issue when it came to violence, major statistical controls wouldn't be necessary.

I asked researchers about other policy ideas for reducing violence. Here are some of the ideas they put forward (which you can read about in much more detail here):

1. Stricter alcohol policies: (Translation: let's try prohibition, again:rolleyes:)
  2. Hot-spot policing: (Translation: Let's do what they did in Minority Report)
  3. Focused deterrence policing: (Translation: People should care more about their own communities)
  4. Raise the age or grade for dropping out of school: (Translation: Ask students to not skip class)
  5. Behavioral intervention programs: (Translation: Teach young thugs what their parents didn't or couldn't teach them about trying to solve problems without fighting)
  6. Eliminate blighted housing: (Translation: Thugs need new canvasses to spray paint:rolleyes:)

As the variety and depth of these ideas may suggest, there are a lot of things that policymakers could be doing to reduce America's extraordinary levels of violence – even if they refuse to enact new gun control measures.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Long rant deleted because it sounds racist when it's not intended to be.

This is s study of alternate statistics. Statistics is the study of numbers, and alternate statistics is when people take numbers and try to manipulate them to prove a point. Simply put we have a perception problem. Our society cannot point the finger anymore because we have been systematically sensitized to be politically correct. Most gun related injuries and deaths are related to criminal activity, so if one community has a higher percentage of injuries or deaths then they probably have a higher percentage of people involved in crime. We can't say that though because it's being "judgemental" or "racist", or even worse "white supremacist" when in reality it is just numbers. People need to obey the laws, not wrong each other significantly (sleep around, rob, rape, whatever), and not be so sensitive. They say the problem is getting worse....we have had guns in this country since before this country was a country, hunks of metal stay hunks of metal...maybe the people are changing.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on it, but those same statistics also include the fact that the majority of Black violence, to include murder, is perpetrated by fellow Blacks. An honest article would be required to point that out. The analogy to the War on Drugs isn't too far off. As we see cities, counties, and states passing ever more poorly thought-out "gun control" ( the NY State law that was passed so quickly that they forgot to exempt police and military comes to mind), we see no decrease in violent crime, and often an increase. To anyone not a politician, that would be regarded as a clue.

Maybe, if we stopped "feeling" for criminals, and making excuses for them, we could get a grip on the issue. Instead, we hear constantly about budget shortfalls curbing Public Safety. Then, we need to "increase taxes". People in lower socioeconomic status, who are trying to improve themselves, don't need higher taxes, they need to be able to spend their money providing a better home for their off-spring. Think we could spend a little less in Foreign Aid? Or relocating criminals fleeing their homelands? Give that money back to the People. We're simply enabling strangers in other lands to spend our money in the EXACT same way we accuse ourselves.

As politicians need ever more money to service our burgeoning debt, we can expect to see more and more ways devised to gather that money. The ONE thing that we won't see is any measures to curb the various foreign give-away programs. Nor, I'm afraid, will we see any politicians suggest that we pay that debt down.

FYI, the politician suggesting that Blacks not be allowed access to firearms was a darling of BOTH the Liberal, and the anti-gun, set. It was BLOOMBERG !!!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was referring to the fact that even the author admitted that guns aren't the biggest issue. Race doesn't have anything to do with it, necessarily. It's more of the upbringing that is the problem. Teach kids that actions have consequences, and they usually learn that killing and robbing people isn't exactly a good career, before they hurt an innocent person.

The author, like the antis, just want to blame the guns because guns can't call them out on their lies.:mad:
These kids know actions have consequences. The problem is the consequence of going to prison is just another part of growing up to them. Street cred is important and you got none if you ain't been in the joint.

I think it's time we start letting the perp walk but make them pull the name of a relative out of a hat to do the time. Anyone over 12 years old has their name placed in the hat. Judge declares sentence, perp pulls a name. Mom, Dad, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, grandmother, whoever. Families then might take more of an interest in their kids and try to raise them to be more responsible. Too many poor parents out there blaming their kids problems on someone else.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
36,650 Posts
I still can't figure out why people have so much problem understanding that the majority of people in jail are Black, the majority of gun deaths is Black, the majority of death row is Black.
its simple the majority of criminals in the USA are black.
the community needs to start cleaning up its own problems.
same with delapidated schools, streets, neighborhoods, etc.
everything isn't "WHITIES" fault.
if you don't like your enviroment then quit tearing the stuff up and start working on cleaning it up.
that's the case whether it would b a white, spanish, jewish, french problem, quit complaining about someone is against you, an start correcting the problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts