Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun Tests Magazine just published its "best of 2019" and the Best-In-Class Revolver is the Taurus 66, with a grade of "A". They found it suitable for any use.
They tested the Raging Hunter against the S&W 500 and S&W 460 Performance Center XVR. They chose the 460 as tops because it was the most versatile with ammo.
The Taurus still earned a grade of "A" due to its versatility with the .44 Magnum cartridge, and its unbeatable price. Bullet weights from 240-gr to 300-gr achieved 25-yard accuracy of 2.48" from the Black Hills 240, to .87" with Hornady Custom 240-gr.
The testers referred to the S&W revolvers as exhibiting manageable recoil. Uh huh. I've fired both of them with shorter barrels and they are just plain painful. For this test the 500 had a 10" barrel and the 460 was 10.5". Both had compensators. A 4"-barrel 500 will burn off your mustache.
The Taurus barrel was 8.37", a length I have not tried. One thing praised on the Taurus was the grips. Yep. They're the best, in my opinion. Too bad they can't be grafted onto the S&W's.

Anyway, kudos to Taurus.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I've always wanted to CCW a .500 S&W, but I'm just not sure if it is enough gun. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts