Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know its not a concealed carry but how would one legally carry a pistol on a motorcycle ? If you put it in the trunk its hidden and now concealed and a no no.

This is for the states of FL, GA, N-C, S-C.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm not from that part of the country but here's a couple of thoughts...

Do you have a valid carry permit for any/all of the state you will be traveling in? I'm not sure on the reciprocity between states but here's a link that can help you out with it. The site is run by the same guy who started Packing.org.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

If you aren't able to legally carry, the usual way to transport a firearm is to have it unloaded and cased. TO be safe (legally not physically) I'd recommend a gun lock of some kind and to have all the ammo/loaded mags etc, locked in a seperate container. This should be just like if you were transporting the firearm in a car.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I have a carry permit and carry on the bikes just as I do off 'em.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In Colorado as well as the states it has reciprocity with, I always carry mine on my hip or with the shoulder holster under a shirt or my jacket. There are no issues, with a CCW, about this method on a bike here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But what if you dont have a permit, can it just be in a locked case sitting on top of my tank bag ?

I'll just contact the Ga state patrol and see what they say.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd be leary of having it in/on the tank bag. I'd think you'd be safer (legally) having in in a bag on the rear of the bike. IF you are going to have it in front I'd suggest both a locked case and a trigger lock on the gun, don't trust the internal lock as an officer may not be familiar with them. And still have you ammo locked up seperately.

Cased and in a rear compartment/bag shouldn't be considered concealed. You have to be able to transport firearms. That's where the whole unloaded and cased thing comes in.

Contacting the State Patrol might not help much as some members of LE don't always know the law (yes, I know that it doesn't seem right but thats the way it is). Try taking a look at the DNR hunting type regs for transporting a firearm in the various states. You might get better luck.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
In Texas, it has to be "unloaded and locked in the trunk", meaning trunk of a car. Pickups and motorcycles are not considered. This has always seemed stupid to me and one reason I got my carry permit when it becama available. I guess on my GoldWing, I could lock it in the top box, but on my SV650, I have no top box to lock it into.

I now have a CCW, so I carry a gun on my person 24/7 either in a pocket or IWB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I get it now, its when I start a thread and its an option since I started it. So ignore the dumb guy in the corner

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think in NC you probably need to have it unloaded and in a container as far away from you as possible (seems the state law is written to favor keeping the gun as far from you as you can be it in a jeep or truck or whatever without a permit). My advice is get a permit and lock and load. Then you will have no worries.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know about motorcycle, but as far as carrying in a "vehicle" as stated by the law...

It has to be in clear plain sight (dashboard or passenger seat if not occupied) It says nothing about it can or can not be loaded.

Until I get my CCW, I leave mine loaded with one in the chamber sitting on the passenger seat. I've been stopped twice for whatever reason (damn gas pedal!) and the officers have had no problems with it. I even asked an off duty cop if that was legal. As long as it is not concealed in easy reach to an occupant of the vehicle. For instance, if you drive a SUV, it needs to be in a bag in the very back of the vehicle locked up to be safe. Its just easier to carry it with you in clear sight.

Hang on a sec and I'll post what NC has posted (they're 30 state reciprocity with the CCW and other laws)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is NC's gun laws for "transporting" per Attorney General Roy Cooper...

D. Transporting Weapons
Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever
vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon,
either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North
Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's
accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when
transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the
weapon is not concealed, and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North
Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile.
Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily
accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and
readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such
areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some
other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It
is our recommendation that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment
regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not.
While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are
other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of
course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the
officer may not readily know that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon.
As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of
any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another
obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see.
The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other
weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well.
Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere
in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.
As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area (i.e., vans, etc.), the question
arises on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an
occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within
the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the
weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law.
Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are
securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger
compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to
passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle.

Now a co-worker of mine carries his weapon under his seat in the storage compartment. This is obviously not an area that is readily accessible if need be, but it is not "within reach" and I don't think it would be considered concealed. Not sure though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts