Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Harrington and Richardson single barrel, break action shotgun that had been professionally shortened to 18 1/4 inches with the front bead reinstalled. I took it out of the shotgun rack at my local gun store, handled it, liked it. It looked just like this one:

Then I told myself to remember that I never impulse buy, I should always give myself time to think it over first, so I put it back on the rack. The next morning I knew I wanted it, so went back the the LGS.

Gone. :(

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
You put limitations on yourself and look what it got you...

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I saw some Midland singles in 12 gauge and .410, all with 18" barrels and a design that folds enough to put in your backpack, or behind the truck seat. They were adjustable for LOP and had nice big soft recoil pads. My LGS said they were coming out with rifle versions, but I am pretty sure that any number of rifled barrel inserts will fit.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
OK, I’ll eat a little crow here.

I watched a Browning High Power sit on a shelf for over a year at > $1000. Then they reduced it to ~ $800 and I still watched - even after they announced its discontinuation. Now it’s gone.

Reactions: BigBlue and Sekol

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
I passed on a Desert Eagle in .50AE with a total of 5 factory magazines, can't remember the the price but it was a heck of a deal with the extra magazines included. :bang:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I once wanted one, but after having to fix them, I grew to hate them. Now LAR Grizzly in .45 Win Mag, is another story. I had the opportunity 4 years ago. The guy wanted $800, and I was $200 short.

Maloy

I passed on a Desert Eagle in .50AE with a total of 5 factory magazines, can't remember the the price but it was a heck of a deal with the extra magazines included. :bang:

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I passed on a Winchester Model 1892, just like the one given to me by my Grandfather and stolen from me by one of our offspring- (Don't let me start)- on GB for $600 or $700. Sold for right around there.

It was kind of roughed up, which is why it didn't fetch the $1000.+ price, but so was mine. I've never come close since.

Reactions: rollin thunder

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
My Dads P08 Luger, with all documentation... In 1990 he needed money, I didn't have any, he sold it to a collector...

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
First Gen Cool SAA 5 1/2" in .41LC. Dated from 1909, so it was smokeless safe. Guy was trying to raise some scratch for a Winchester collector show he was going to and was letting it go for $500.

Colt Diamondback in .22. Blued, 4inch vent rib original grips, finish 85-90%. Pawn shop had it for $350. Left, came back the next day and it was gone.

Smith and Wesson Model 3 in .44 Russian. Factory nickel in decent shape but it wasn't functional due to some jackleg trying to kitchen table gunsmith it and losing a couple screws and parts. A different pawn shop wanted $400 for it.

Winchester 73 in .38wcf, 20 inch carbine. Pawn shop guy only wanted $800.

Then there's the Beretta Model 70 in .32acp for $150, the Browning Auto 5 for $300 and the Barrett M82 for $1800.

In other words, I am an idiot and have proven it repeatedly.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
985 Posts
I remember! those were reimported and had the barrels stamped by the importer(such as Blue Sky). I got my dad one for his birthday. barrel was pretty nasty so i replaced it with one from the golden days of the CMP when you could get all the parts from CMP guns thru Ebay. Wish i had bought some of the carbines too
This an easy one. Back in the late 80's early 90's when gun shows were gun shows I had the opportunity to buy as many M1 Garand's I wished for $100 dollars each. Military surplus still in cosmoline. teh infamNow I see them at the shows for $1000 and up.:motz:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Savage 99 in .308. Already reloaded in the caliber but didn't want to spend the money that day. Next day, decided I had to have it and it was gone. Shop said they get them in regularly after deer season but haven't seen one since. Could be a good thing because now I have the Marlin 1894 in 45LC and don't feel a need for another lever gun. Once I started reloading for 45LC, I wanted that more than the Savage. Still love the sleek look of the 99 though.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
23,208 Posts
I once waited too long on a Colt Army Special, .38 Special, that was in very good cosmetic condition and even better mechanical condition... for $300.

A Winchester model 94 that someone, decades ago, had carved several cattle brands into. I'm guessing that stock showed every ranch that cowboy had worked for.

Those are the ones I've handled in person, and the memory really stuck with me. If I include Gunbroker auctions I wish I'd pushed a little harder, we'd need another subforum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Yep, I a member of this club, too! Just Sunday at work at the lgs I had a customer buy a previously owned beautiful blued Beretta Cheetah with 7 mags and the original box, manual, and Galco shoulder holster for $450. I think I picked a really stupid time to tell myself to stop buying guns...:( He didn't own any 380s and I foolishly felt I owned more than enough so I let him but it.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
New Factory Blem Dan Wesson 1911 CBob, under $500, The "blem" was an engraving issue (don't remember now if it wasn't straight or it was shallow)

Oh and a Mateba Unica that I simply couldn't afford at the time (though could have scrounged the money had I really wanted to)

·
23,208 Posts
Colt Diamondback in .22. Blued, 4inch vent rib original grips, finish 85-90%. Pawn shop had it for $350. Left, came back the next day and it was gone.

Reactions: jtg452
1 - 20 of 47 Posts