Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
One thing that always confused me is the types of guns companys market to women I mean yeah I'm a guy so I dunno and everyones different but like the PM9 for example, and these lightweight snub nose 38 and 357 revolvers. Those things are kinda uncomfortable for me to shoot much and my X girlfriend I'd let her shoot my LCR and she *hated* the recoil of the thing. I dunno seems weird they'd market guns like that ya know. Like that ladysmith 357 smith has, I don't think *I'd* even wanna shoot that thing much at all but I dunno, just something about a light 357 with a 2 inch barrel doesn't sound like a fun day blasting away at the range...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
One thing that always confused me is the types of guns companys market to women I mean yeah I'm a guy so I dunno and everyones different but like the PM9 for example, and these lightweight snub nose 38 and 357 revolvers. Those things are kinda uncomfortable for me to shoot much and my X girlfriend I'd let her shoot my LCR and she *hated* the recoil of the thing. I dunno seems weird they'd market guns like that ya know. Like that ladysmith 357 smith has, I don't think *I'd* even wanna shoot that thing much at all but I dunno, just something about a light 357 with a 2 inch barrel doesn't sound like a fun day blasting away at the range...
Make it light and slap a pink grip on it, POOF! It's a girls gun! Not!
My mother shoots a S&W 3913 Ladysmith and my aunt likes to shoot the 1911 government.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I feel like that last great Lady Smiths were the steel J frames and steel K frames. The Model 60 and Model 36 J frames could shoot standard pressure 158gr lead SWCHP's and the steel ate the recoil. Same for the K frames but they were a bit bigger with the six shot cylinder. As soon as they thought it was a good idea to market alloy frame revolvers with pink grips, I think they started to lose sales and now you hardly ever see a new Lady Smith offering. Come to think of it, I think they have dropped the concept as a whole at this point. I'm a guy and I still like having my Lady in my pocket:

Sure, my 637 is lighter, but IT SUCKS WITH RECOIL!!!

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
A 'woman's gun' is whatever gun the woman shoots best with.

Grandma's 'woman's gun' was a Hand ejector 4th change Smith I-frame in .32 Long. My sister's is a steel frame Taurus in .32mag. Knew a young lady whilst in college who's 'woman's gun' was a 2" Colt Python.

Pink grips makes the gun cute but you can have whatever grips you want put on whatever gun you want these days. Lite weight is actually backin' up as far as I'm concerned if you intend to actually shoot a gun rather than just carry it around.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
A 5 pound purse, ten pounds of "shopping" in bags hanging from both arms; and need I mention mothers that do this "and" tote a tottler too?

And they "need" a light firearm?

Come on guys...in the words of Gen. McAuliff of Battle of the Bulge fame...NUTS!

The average female shooter can handle any firearm the average male "would carry" period.

Light weight revolvers and semiautos recoil disprapotionally to their size/weight and are best carried by seasoned/experienced shooters that don't mind recoil.

A woman isn't going to want to practice with a gun that's going to be uncomfortable/painful to handle after the first reload; neither is a man.

You'll notice that probably 97% of the males that by super light Scandium S&W J-fram .357's admit to shooting and carrying .38 spl.s...point made.

Quit selling the ladies short with some "guys" view of what a ladies gun should be.

In an "ideal" world, the ladies would be given a number of different size, weight, caliber guns to "test drive" so "they" could make intelligent discissions of their own.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Make it light and slap a pink grip on it, POOF! It's a girls gun! Not!
My mother shoots a S&W 3913 Ladysmith and my aunt likes to shoot the 1911 government.
Exactly, now what I thought makes a good first gun for a lady is that new LCR in 22lr, I think one in 22 magnum would make more sense for a little carry gun but I like the little thing. I'd actually carry one in 22 mag I mean think about it Horniday makes some good 22winmag ammo and I think the 22LR is like an 8 or 9 shot revolver, I'm sure one in 22mag could hold that much. That's decent firepower for a little revolver I think.

But yeah seems companys just stick pink on something and call it a ladys gun, now the charter arms pink lady makes alittle sense it's not so much a real lightweight gun and has a full size grip. Heck I don't even like shooting snubnose revolvers with a puny little grip and I'm a 6'4" guy =P

The other one I hear is "well it's simple so a woman can work it" and all I think is my grandmothers old sewing mechine was far more complicated then any AR15 I've ever seen.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I saw a really nice Colt Lady Mustang .380 at the LGS when i picked up my 1911 from getting the sights put on. They had one of those Charter Arms you mentioned MPG too, it was a pretty sweet looking gun. Also saw a few Derringers.... oops, sorry. I started to go off topic again, please don't mind me, i want a new gun is all.

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
A colleague of mine at work is 5' tall she weighs possibly 110 and this is what she carries and fires at least once/week at least 20 rounds:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
See MOONDAWG's post above. He hit the nail square on the head.

·
17,574 Posts
I only know one female shooter. By that I mean somebody that chooses their own guns, and shoots for recreation often. Her favorites are a Kimber .45 and a Colt Official Police. Not exactly "ladies guns". Her least favorite is a Sig 238, something that some would indeed consider a "ladies gun".

The whole "ladies guns" thing is just marketing B.S.. Male or female, tall or short, the criteria are the same...............whatever works. Bigger is better as long as you're physically capable of manipulating the trigger comfortably, and with accuracy, taking into account concealment if that's a factor.

·
5,686 Posts
My Mother is 69yrs old and shoots a Ruger Vaquero .45 AND a 12 gauge shot gun in competition (along with others). I prefer nothing less than .357 and can shoot my Tracker one handed. I know men that will not carry or shoot more than a 9mm. So...........

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I know men that will not carry or shoot more than a 9mm. So...........
Hmmm....what kind of men have you run into? I can fire my S&W Performance Center 500 Magnum with my pinky toe....and get a 5-shot 1-inch group at 100 yards.

:lifting:

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Hmmm....what kind of men have you run into? I can fire my S&W Performance Center 500 Magnum with my pinky toe....and get a 5-shot 1-inch group at 100 yards.

Uhmm........ y'all might want to check the prescription in those rose colored glasses ............... just sayin' :eek::D

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
Please!!!! Lets not let this thread degenerate into a 9mm----- as opposed to other, caliber war! I choose to shoot 9mm because of the cheapness and availability of the ammo!
The original idea of this thread as I understand it was to highlight pink hand grips and smaller calibers.

·
5,686 Posts

I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying that's all they are comfortable for carry. One is a very good friend of mine who isn't a 'rugged' dude, he's just a city boy that wanted protection. He also shot himself in the hand, so maybe it's good that he didn't have anything bigger than that. :D

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
my wifes personal guns -mdl 85 38, charter 357, pt 140 (after i losend up the slide),30-30mossberg ,30-06 remington, none are pink

·
Registered
227 Posts
Y is it that if its Lightweight its for a woman. " you cant handle anything other then a peashooter" BULL PUCKEY Ill shoot whatever whenever just bacause I am a woman DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE ME. I hate it when men do that it really pisses me off its like dude really I hate to think of the guys that i have pissed off at the range they will walk over to my husband and ask to look at one of the guns and he says ask the mrs. its hers, and they sit and stare at me especially the muzzleloaders thats funney

1 - 19 of 19 Posts