Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Re: Guns and Ammo article

Now I want to know when I can get one....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have not carried my 24/7 yet, but in the article the author states, "The nice thing about these safety features is that you don't have to use them, in which case you won't even know they're there. I carry 24/7s with the safety off and ready to go--just like a double-action revolver."

So, my question is, so you carry with the safety on or safety off? I am used to 1911's so safety on is what I normally have.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

I have the 24/7 45cal and PT145, both have the external safety (much like the 24/7 OSS). I keep the safety on because I like that extra little touch of security to prevent an accidental discharge and I practice using the safety so it is second nature to me. But no, like the article said "You don't have to use it" and the ambi-safety on the OSS was a conditional requirement for the now canceled Joint-Ops program.

·
32,499 Posts
There are two schools of thought on this and both have pros and cons.

Carry with the safety on helps keep the owner and others safe from negligent discharges while out and about.These can happen in many ways. Trigger pressure that can set off the trigger can be asserted on the trigger by objects or circumstances without the knowledge of the wearer. This happens frequently enough to need to considered .

Then there is the gun grab reason. Since many attacks are close and physical in nature, the attacker can or will make an attempt to get control of the gun and turn it on it's owner.

If the safety is on the attacker will need precious seconds to figure which lever or which way up or down to throw the safety to on safe. This will give a the gun owner time for plan B. Could be for getting the gun back, running away, or drawing a backup weapon of some sort. Defense has to be in layers and a Plan B is vital.

For instance, at some the forums it is little discussed at times about plan B and it's needs or equipment used for such things. A lot of people have no plan B and think that just having the gun is enough.

Little trigger pressure is needed to set off a DAO or newer unconventional DA/SA guns like the Taurus, Glock, and HK families. This means more chance of a negligent discharge over conventional DA/SA pistol designs. Thus having the safety on makes sense.

Now for the other side of the coin. Carrying off safety.Here there is evidence for some to do such.
As has been written at this forum more than once, there are a few documented cases where is the heat of battle safeties were not wiped off to fire and the trigger pulled repeatedly with useless result. The result at the end of the confrontation was a dead or seriously wounded defender. Having the safety off to start with would have negated the incidents and the attacker would have been the casualty instead.

Practicing wiping the safety off and back on before reholstering is supposed to be practiced until it is second nature. People either bypass this for many reasons or over time get out of practice and mindset. We all need to practice different shooting areas. Time or other things may cause this to be ignored or put off.

So while it is a very good idea to have the safety on, it can be seen why others might not see it that way.

Personally, if it is a normal DA/SA pressured trigger of more substantial and more force is needed ( 10 to 14 pounds), then safety off makes some sense. Many semi-autos come with decockers only with this type of pistol. Then it makes sense for safety off. They don't have safties to wipe off. Or the heavier pull ones can be carried off safe by the user since the heavier pull gives a safety margin that have decockers and safties.

Some of this is stating the obvious, but needs to be written.

Do what you will. We are liable for our actions to ourselves and others. Morally too.

Under 10 pounds of pressure, safety on seems to be the better and safer choice.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm left handed.

That changes a lot of things. I always like to tell people not to be left handed if they can help it. Try figuring a quick way to disengage the safety on a MilPro left handed.

That aside, if you trust that your gun won't fire unless the trigger is pulled sufficiently to the rear, and if you have a holster that completely covers the trigger guard, then you should be able to comfortably carry with the safety off. YMMV.

There are times that I will engage the safety (in a public restroom, for example, or a fitting room), but those are exceptions to my practice.

tman

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Texshooter said:
To carry a 24/7, with a round in the chamber, with the safety off is, IMO, insane.
Its not like a Glock and if you have the DAO model like I have. It is completely safe, if I owned the DA/SA model I would recommend using the safety.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was planning on carrying it with the safety on, just like my 1911, but when I read the article, I was curious who else out there carried it with out engaging the safety.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm another safety off carrier I never put the safety on ever. I don't think it needs a safety.

I'm also not a dry firer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another thing to consider is drop safety. I believe the firing pin block ONLY works on the 24/7 when the safety is on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, I need a 24/7 OSS in 40 S&W, I don't find one soon I may have to get an XD Tactical. :D Les

·
32,499 Posts
Violator22. Now ya gone and done it. Get out the hot tar,feathers and boiling oil guys !! ;D :D Since we do have a Other Guns board your still ok. ;) Doesn't matter. What you pick is ok with us. You nudge me with a joke and I nudge you back with one. ;D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Violator22 said:
Yep, I need a 24/7 OSS in 40 S&W, I don't find one soon I may have to get an XD Tactical. :D Les

40,40,40,40..... Don't be a sheep get a 45cal if you want punch or get a 9mm if you want penetration. The 40 is so close in real world ballistics to the 9mm that it is almost not worth mentioning. S&W cut down a 10mm and made a new round to go along with their pistol and tons of hype to go with both. But if you want to be part of the herd, go for the 40...

I am teasing you of course ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Condition 1.

I open carry OWB round in chamber safety on. I do draw drills several times a week and every time I remove the gun from it's holster I disengage the safety.

Condition 0 for a carry gun IN MY OPINION is just nuts. Too many things outside your control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts