Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone signed up for GunBroker Pay?

I recently came across an item on GunBroker.com that called for GunBroker Pay. I've seen more and more of these, so I thought I would sign up.

Every time I go to log in, it wants to send me a text message with a link that I have to click on before I can continue using the site. I sent an email to their support desk to see if this is normal behavior. The site doesn't seem very user friendly if every time you log in, you have to wait for a link in a text message, select that link, then go back to your other browser to continue using the site.

Has anyone else had to do that or can you just log in and use their site?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Two-factor authentication. It's actually a good thing, if not a bit annoying to do every time, that will keep your info safer.

At least that's what it sounds like. Might be possible to turn it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two-factor authentication. It's actually a good thing, if not a bit annoying to do every time, that will keep your info safer.

At least that's what it sounds like. Might be possible to turn it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes, it is two-factor authentication. I just wondered if anyone had experience with it going away or if it was every single login (like it has been for me). It is way too much wasted effort as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
They almost have to do something, many people are stupid. One recent customer at our shop sent us his credit card information by payment for an item via email, rather that the secure link on the website.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They almost have to do something, many people are stupid. One recent customer at our shop sent us his credit card information by payment for an item via email, rather that the secure link on the website.
Hey, I guess you can count me as stupid!

I've had bad luck with GunBroker's payment system accepting credit cards. I have three different cards I try and they are all not accepted. If the first one isn't accepted, I can expect the others won't be either. I've had the same address for decades, same zip code, same phone number, and yet it still doesn't seem to like me "some" of the time.

I've emailed my credit card information to a seller before. I prefer to call them, but that isn't any more secure except that it is exposed to fewer hands in transit. I find it much, much safer to use a card than sending a check. I have zero liability if my card is compromised. If someone has my checking account number and cleans out my account--not so much. I prefer credit card payment, but if that doesn't work, I'll go the USPS money order route. While it is gone once you pay them, at least they don't have your checking account number. I just wish USPS would let me buy a money order online so I don't have to go to the P.O. and wait in long lines to speak to an indifferent bureaucrat.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It's true your card will hold you harmless, however, your credit card info can easily be used to compromise other areas of your identity. I stand by my statement-it's stupid and very risky to post your credit card data in a media as insecure as email. But, each to his own!

·
22,292 Posts
It doesn't really require it every time you visit the site, does it? I can see the value when submitting payment, but if they ask that for browsing....

I just tried browsing and it didn't ask for anything.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't really require it every time you visit the site, does it? I can see the value when submitting payment, but if they ask that for browsing....

I just tried browsing and it didn't ask for anything.
Yes, every time. I set up the account a few days ago and it required it then. I always log out and log back in to a site when I create a new registration to confirm they understood my password--it sent the text again.
I logged in yesterday and it sent the text again. I logged out and logged back in--again, another text with the verification link. I tried later in the day. Yup, you guessed it, another verification link.

I'm not really interested in jumping through their hoops. As a life-long software developer, I can recognized poor software pretty easily (and there's lots of it out there).

·
22,292 Posts
Well, that guarantees I won't sign up for it. I surf gunbroker a fair bit, and I'm just not going to inflict that on mysel. Heck, no.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up:

I had created a support request with them regarding the extra hoops required for every login. This is apparently handled by some company calling itself "Bitrail".

They indicated yes, it is a requirement to receive a text and click a verification link EVERY time you want to log in to their system. I again quizzed them whether it should be EVERY time one logs in and they did confirm that and graciously let me know it was for my safety.

I proceeded to assure them the only way to guarantee my safety was to remove all my data from their system and instructed them to do so.

Their crack staff replied, indicating their displeasure with me wanting to close my account, but asked why. Apparently, they hadn't been keeping up with the conversation.

·
Super Moderator
36,014 Posts
Use PayPal as a "gift" so as to not raise any red flags or have them charge you. Zelle or Chase Quick Pay is also very handy.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use PayPal as a "gift" so as to not raise any red flags or have them charge you. Zelle or Chase Quick Pay is also very handy.
Yeah, I'm fine with PayPal but unfortunately many (most, I'd say) on GunBroker don't accept PayPal for that very reason. I thought I'd give it a try, but they don't seem to understand the concept of balancing security and usability, so they're history as far as I'm concerned.

I log in to my bank account several times most days and if they required a text and verification link every time I logged in, I'd be changing banks. I could understand verification based on certain types of transactions or even every 90 days or so, but every time logging in, waiting for a text, clicking on a link, closing the link, then going back to the original login window is overkill. But that's just me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts