Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last four months, Gunbroker has transformed itself from an online gun auction that had clearly defined categories (which members respected) containing ads for intact, functioning firearms to a catch-all for assorted gun parts, pistol and revolver frames and a deluge of nonworking "project guns," "gunsmith specials," or "AS-IS" garbage.

What used to take me 10 minutes to search through a listing of auctions now takes 20 minutes or longer because some members insist on placing their junk ads interspersed with legitimate gun ads. Back in July 2017 I don't recall seeing a single listing for Glock frames. Now they outnumber the listings for whole, functioning Glocks like five to one!

Anyone else run into this nonsense?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
yeah, try looking for a 300 blackout pistol/sbr upper...they don't even have a defined ".300 Blackout" caliber category yet!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
Another unhappy customer.

Now where do we go?

·
8,902 Posts
Yes I agree, more Glock frames than actual pistols. But I only use GB for parts anyway, and then only after I have checked my other sources.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
In the last four months, Gunbroker has transformed itself from an online gun auction that had clearly defined categories (which members respected) containing ads for intact, functioning firearms to a catch-all for assorted gun parts, pistol and revolver frames and a deluge of nonworking "project guns," "gunsmith specials," or "AS-IS" garbage.

What used to take me 10 minutes to search through a listing of auctions now takes 20 minutes or longer because some members insist on placing their junk ads interspersed with legitimate gun ads. Back in July 2017 I don't recall seeing a single listing for Glock frames. Now they outnumber the listings for whole, functioning Glocks like five to one!

Anyone else run into this nonsense?
Are you refining your search to "firearms" only? That is pretty much the only way I search and I have not seen the issue yet for what I am searching. I don't search for Glocks at this time.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Are you refining your search to "firearms" only? That is pretty much the only way I search and I have not seen the issue yet for what I am searching. I don't search for Glocks at this time.
I just searched Glock with filter firearms and in the first 10 pages I only saw complete guns, no parts, no projects, no frames.

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Administrator
40,277 Posts
I always find what I'm looking for. I like Gunbroker, and use the search feature.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Honestly, I never liked Gunbroker. Even as far back as 2015 it was nearly impossible to search for a specific gun with a specific finish in a specific caliber because the site just lumped everything together by default in their search results, and most sellers were so lazy that they couldn't even be bothered to write accurate listings for their guns, (Seriously, I remember searching for Walther brand firearms and getting a ridiculously low amount of results because so many sellers were misspelling it "Walter" probably because they were using auto-correct software) it's just worse now.

Besides, thanks to the disturbing amount of folks who seemingly have no self control and get a crazy rush from engaging in bid battles, it was nearly impossible to get a good deal on anything on Gunbroker anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is a gun store or online sales, there is some great stuff and some junk. The bigger or more popular a place becomes the more you will see junk. I still like Gunbroker for both buying and selling. But then I am not into it as much as many others.

·
22,978 Posts
Well, I just kicked around on Gunbroker a bit. I know, I know, the selfless things I do for this forum... :D

I don't see the problem. They've changed the user interface a bit, and not for the better, but I even went to Pistols|Semiauto|Glock and saw nothing but complete, functional pistols.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just spent a good while looking at guns on GB, and I only saw a couple incomplete parts guns. The OP must be doing something wrong. While I don't like the new interface, it does seem to work just fine.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Gunbroker's primary use these days is to use it for pricing of firearms. find the sold prices and not the asking for prices and you'll see what a specific make/model/finish firearm went for. If I want auctions, I'll go to Proxibid.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
My recent experience.

Wife and I went on GB last weekend looking for a pistol. She wanted a new XD 45acp. We looked for less then 1/2hr and found what we were looking for at a very nice price. Placed a BIN bid and checked out. Gun wasn't shipped until Tues. because of MLK Day and we had it to our FFL by Thurs.

I have a search saved for EAA Witness and if I go that route thru saved search it brings up all kinds of crap. So I quite using that search function.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have made several purchases through GB both firearms and parts (usually magazines). I have learned the hard way that auction postings may not be accurate! One posting that caught my attention was for some surplus Beretta M9 magazines. The posting stated that credit cards were accepted along with PayPal. I purchased the quantity I wanted only to find out I could not complete the checkout AFTER clicking the "Commit to Buy" option when the site informed me that I had to complete the payment directly with the seller. Upon contacting the seller, I learned that credit cards were NOT accepted even though the GB posting stated they were. I ended up paying via PayPal then after receiving my magazines, I contacted GB regarding the bogus posting. They told me that if a posting states "Immediate Checkout", the payment can be done via the GB site, if it does not state "Immediate Checkout", it most likely must be completed directly with the seller.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
too many shill bidders, especially on "penny auctions."
I only bid on No Reserve or auctions with a BIN offer. So far I have 3 guns I've won on GB, two I was the only bidder and the third it was a BIN. The first was a Taurus PT92C which I was the only bidder and won it with the opening bid. The other was an XD MOD2, that had only 1 box shot thru itand we got that one for about $100.00 less than new after we paid the shipping and FFL transfer fee.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts