Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing some PT 1911 duo tones on Gunbroker.com that have caught my eye. I've signed up for an account. Have any of you guys done any business there? What's your take on it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have bought a few guns (my 709) and some other stuff on gunbroker and it has always been a great experience. Would definitely buy again. My FFL friend has done plenty of business on there and he really likes it also. Hope that helps

·
Registered
589 Posts
I recently purchased a new Taurus 856 revolver via GunBroker. My experience was very good. The seller was very prompt in getting shipment underway. It took a couple of days to get this thing going, but one underway, it worked well.

I had to find a local FFL. Once that was straight, it was great.

If I were in the market for another gun now, and couldn't find it at a reasonable price locally, I'd use GunBroker again, especially the seller who was located in Wisconsin.

I'm seeing some PT 1911 duo tones on Gunbroker.com that have caught my eye. I've signed up for an account. Have any of you guys done any business there? What's your take on it?

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
GunBroker.com has done to online sales what Rush Limbaugh has done to Talk Radio; revolutionized it! Even if you just want to find out what the going price is for a particular model, GB is great.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Always pay with credit card or USPS money order. I have scored some sweet deal on there but they are far and few between. Plus I would only deal with someone that has a phone number included.

As with all things online you are taking a risk but when done right you can keep it minimized.

Best deal: PT1911 used blued for $315 shipped plus the $30 FFL but that was in 2011

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Never had a problem with anyone on GB. You just need to look at the over all cost of doing business with the seller. Read the listing very close as some charge a percentage for credit card use. Some will charge a packing charge in addition to the shipping cost. A few charge some really stupid high shipping charges. And a few will simply state buyer pays actual cost to ship...those I always ask ahead of purchase before I commit to buying...I don't like being surprised.

Buy smart, shop smart!!!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I have also purchased firearms from Gunbroker. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
No problems with GB here. Smooth sailing..

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Bought reloading stuff off there. Guy shipped quick and i got exactly what i expected.

But "buyer beware" as with all arms length deals.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Step 1: verify the source state. Is it a 10+round handgun being sold from California, Mass.,NYS, etc? Note that even though selling the gun out of state to you ***MAY*** be completely legal, the firearm in question is probably registered on a state gun registry even if you own it in a non-restrictive state. That may bother you as a buyer, it may not. Just something to consider.

Step 2; check the feedback of the seller. Beware the dealer who had stellar feedback which recently turned to pot.

Step 3;Verify that the seller is either a private individual or an FFL. If an individual, check to make sure your local dealer where youll process the BG check at will recieve from an individual.

Step 4;Inspect the pictures with a critical eye. Does the item have its sights cranked all the way to the left or right?Does the slide and frame evenly match? Are there any missing levers or parts? On this point, beware the auction with extra barrels and a pile of magazines. It could be the seller just accessorizes their guns a lot......or it's a malfunctioning turkey that the seller has run out of ideas on how to fix.

Step 5; be proactive on ensuring your dealers send the relevant FFL info in a timely fashion. People aren't perfect, and waiting 5 days for your new toy because your receiving dealer forgot to fax their FFL on day 1 just bites.

Last Point:Make sure the dealer isn't down the street from your house, haha.

Reactions: new2carry

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Bought and sold many on there. No issues so far

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Always pay with credit card or USPS money order. I have scored some sweet deal on there but they are far and few between. Plus I would only deal with someone that has a phone number included.

As with all things online you are taking a risk but when done right you can keep it minimized.

Best deal: PT1911 used blued for $315 shipped plus the $30 FFL but that was in 2011
My three best deals; NIB M85 for $206, PT100 for $235, and Rem 1100 12ga for $349. But you are right, the great deals are getting much harder to find.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bought several items off GB. Never had an issue. As mentioned before always check the feedback. ***** SPECIFICALLY***** see if positive feedback is from them buying or selling! Some folks will run their feedback score up by purchasing and then be a scrub when selling something. I always make sure they have a good number of positive feedbacks from selling. My magical number is 25 or so.

One other judgement item I use is sending the seller an email to see how quick they respond to simple questions. If they dont answer a simple email they are not going to be there to handle problems IMO.

Good luck!!!

N2C

·
Registered
606 Posts
All above comments ring true(review their feedback, examine the pics in detail, total S&H costs, etc). I've bought some GB firearms and never been burnt, but I do ask specific questions and won't bid if the seller doesn't answer questions in detail.

Also, I use GB's Advanced Search to check what a certain weapon is selling for in the recent past(from 1 day to 90 days in past). Just use the Completed Items tab and sort to highest # of bids so you don't have to scroll thru all the 0-bid auctions/re-listings. Its definitely not scientific but reflects current sales value better than some book printed months or years ago. It just gives you an idea of recent values in this ultra-crazy market, just make sure you adjust for accessories included/not included as recently additional high-cap magazines/etc can skew the price wildly. I've even found auctions for firearms with no magazines, as the seller has them listed separately to try and make alittle more.

Anyone else find a way to determine current pricing? Please share it with me/us?
My concept is definitely not fool-proof, but its the best I've thought up so far.

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
I have been buying from GB since 2000. I have spen t$$$ thousands on firearms from 50BMG rifles to Broom Handles. Only had one issue out of over 100. I didn't trust seller so i took a negative. I usually pay by Bank Money Order or Personal Check as most places charge extra for CC. Watch the shiping charges as some are too high.

Research what you are buying.

It is like e-bay however it has a 15 min rule so no one can underbid you.
Here is a how to buy guide on Gun Broker...
How to Buy a Gun: How to Buy Guns Online at GunBroker.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.