Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my gun a month ago, although with my husbands knee surgery, then he had to work the home show last 2 weeks, we haven't gotten to go out and shoot it. Now it's almost impossible to find my 9MM ammo.

I guess in time stores will get restocked, but right now there is no 9MM ammo available. Sure, we managed to get some, but one trip to the range is going to wipe us out in like half an hour since we both have 9MM's.

When the stores do get restocked, it's going to be pricey.

Anyways, kinda bummed...all dressed up and no where to go. Lol. :)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
But, with that new pistol on your hip, you're looking good while you're waiting!

I suggest that you look around at some of the pawn shops and independent gun shops for 9mm ammo. I've had better success in these venues than in the "Big Box" stores such as WalMart, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The thing to do is find out when your local stores (Wal-Mart, Academy, etc.) receive their trucks, and be there before the trucks arrive. Have enough cash on-hand to pick up 3-4 boxes or whatever the limit of the store is, so that you can make the most out of your trip. Good luck. :smile:

In the meantime, you might see if you can find some snap-caps to practice dry-firing at home.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am hoping this panic ends before the new year 2014. It will be bad if It doesn't. There is no 9mm in the state of Florida, unless you want to pay $28 for federal FMJ. Found a little gun store willing to sell me tulammo but one box of it for $15. He couldn't spare anymore. He told me to come back this week because he was getting 80 cases of tulammo he would sell me as much as I wanted.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Tell the old man he needs to stay off the knee for a while and head to the range without him! Then you will be able to shoot a couple times before you need to re-stock. Hopefully by then, his knee is better and you have found some more 9MM ammo.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Check with your local, independent gun shop. Some of these guys reload and are considered manufacturer's. Quite often, they'll have reloaded ammo for sale. I've purchased a lot of range ammo from one of the locals. Problem is, he loads lead bullets, so cleaning the gun after a range session can be a little intense, but hey, cleaning is part of the pleasure (a few more repetitions of the latter and I might have myself convinced).

Reactions: dfa24.7

·
5,686 Posts
Congrats on the new firearm! I feel your pain about the ammo. I've been waiting to score some .22LR so I can shoot again. I'm not having any luck.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know what you mean. I have ammo for all of my guns except my fiancee's. I've never been to interested in 9mm, so I never paid any attention to how available it was.

·
Registered
20,619 Posts
Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.
kschilk - you NEED to make this your signature line!!:)

Reactions: PCS01 and dfa24.7

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition of your new firearm! Post a picture of it so we can all see, and we all share your sadness over the lack of ammo! We have a similar situation - DH and I shoot lots of 22lr and it's pretty darn scarce. DH has started to re-load the larger calibers - while your sweetie is recuperating buy him some reloading books and see if you can convince him to get into that! Of course, you could do it too, but at my house it's safer if DH re-loads and I cook - if we ever want to eat, that is!;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Shops with ranges usually have ammo to sell to range clients. Many will sell a limited quantity across the counter as well. ALSO check in at the shop where you bought the gun - if they don't have ammo they may have thought about who will! City or rural Washington??

·
Registered
617 Posts
I also suggest checking non box store locations. My LGS has had 9mm the last couple times I have been there but its 21.99/50 for federal 115 fmj. I am trying not to buy any unless I really need some as not to contribute to the price frenzy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the suggestions. It's a bizarre situation for sure!

We've exhausted the box, non-box and local ranges as well as online. It just isn't happening. There was a gun show nearby in Puyallup last weekend, but dh worked and I'm not all that familiar with ammo specs. yet.

He told me I should be looking for 9MM Luger rounds, but I was on line and noticed there were some differences for those as well and I didn't know what that other specification meant. Oh well, I'll keep circling and hope for the best.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mingaa,

We're in a semi-rural part of the city, about midway between Tacoma and Seattle. There's folks with horses over here, while the city is right down the hill from us. Best of both worlds in it's own way.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There was a gun show nearby in Puyallup last weekend, but dh worked and I'm not all that familiar with ammo specs. yet.

He told me I should be looking for 9MM Luger rounds, but I was on line and noticed there were some differences for those as well and I didn't know what that other specification meant. Oh well, I'll keep circling and hope for the best.
If you have any specific questions, just post here and we'll do our best to help you learn. :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Congratulations on choosing, quite possibly, the worst moment in History to join the fold! (Just kidding....sort of. ;))

Seriously, though, with some effort, SD loads are still relatively easy to find around here. (Although 9mm is tougher.) But, practice ammo is getting be less common than unicorns.

I agree with the suggestion that you watch your local, independent shops. The last pistol ammo I acquired was from a local shop that had a surprising amount at that moment, and it was (surprisingly, for me) actually cheaper than Academy for recognizable, brass-cased stuff. (I wound up buying 9x19, .40 S&W, .45 Auto, .357 Mag., and .44 Mag. It wasn't a cheap day...) Granted, from the hordes that were cycling through, I doubt the supply lasted the day, but it was there.

Point being: be patient, keep looking, and you'll eventually come across some. Good luck!

NOTE: I don't know about your area, but the last gun show I went to was a mad house. There were folks (either desperate, stupid, or both) towards the end paying well on towards $100 for a brick of .22 LR and, by the time it was done, there was little if any ammo of any type to be found. Prices were up across the board. Short story, I wouldn't expect to find deals there, but if you must buy there, get there the moment the doors open, on the first day, and be prepared to pay a premium!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I will say the wife and I enjoy shooting together....But she does realize the joy in the quiet without the kids and me....And I enjoy the same....It is our worry free time no one else, no bills, just her/me and the target sometimes even married couples need that degree of separation wheather its a day or just hours it frees the stress and anxiety.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sorry for the "novel", but hopefull it will clear up any confusion you have.

You are looking for any of the following: 9x19, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO, or 9mm Luger. They are all the same thing. Now, 9mm NATO is slightly higher pressure than standard commercial stuff, but I can't think of a single pistol (in good condition) made for, say, at least 50 years that would have any noticeable problem with it.

Loads labeled as "+P" are commercial loads at higher than normal pressures, but it is still a recognized standard that should be safe in the vast majority of pistols, although it is higher pressure than even the NATO load and it is best to confirm with your pistol manufacturer that it is rated for +P use. You won't see this on plinking ammo, only SD loads.

Anything labeled "+P+" or something to that effect is loaded beyond recognized pressure standards for the cartridge and the specifications can and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Chances are that it is still safe in most guns, but most (if not all) gun companies don't recommend them and, for me personally, I've never seen or read any verifiable benefit that warrants the extra wear on my guns and the extra recoil. You definitely won't see any plinking ammo loaded to these pressures and only a few SD loads that I can think of go this far.

Once all that is out of the way, the only (important) variables are bullet weight and type. FMJ, TMJ, or "Ball" (today) all refer to lead bullets encased in gilding metal jackets, hence "Full (or Total) Metal Jacket". These are going to be the default for factory loaded practice ammo. They are sometimes further classified by the shape of the tip; Round nose (RN), flat point (FP), or truncated cone (TC) are common. Hollow points are, just that, jacketed bullets with cavities (hollows) in the tip, that are designed to expand on impact. These are more expensive, generally, and are typically reserved for SD or "carry" ammo. There is lots of data and opinion about which ones are best, but generally, a quality "bonded" hollow point from a known manufacturer is good default.

As for weight: most 9x19 loads will be 115 grain (gr) or 124 gr and virtually all of your range ammo will be one or the other. (115 gr was the original weight for the cartridge while 124 gr is the current weight for NATO standard loads) Generally, pick the one closest to your chosen carry ammo in weight and velocity for practice. Right now, take what you can get. SD loads will go as high as 147gr and some boutique loads will go lower with "exotic" bullets. I generally recommend a good hollow point in either 115 gr or (preferably) 124 gr, at either standard or +P pressure (depending on the specific load, the shooter, and the pistol), however some folks swear by 147gr loads. (I don't personally like the ballistics on those, and they tend to offer the heaviest recoil but your mileage may vary.)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts