Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Ladies, I didn't put this in the holster thread because, well, these are bags. Even though I don't advocate purse carry, I know that it is the preference of some and that's ok. Here is a link to a site with some pretty nice CC bags. They have some items for men too.

GUN TOTE'N MAMAS - Concealed Carry Handbags by Gun Tote'n Mamas
I've seen their wares at gun-show, and I believe I saw them being interiewed once, on television. Nice bags.

I've been thinking though...about the admonition re: purse carry....

The conventional wisdom is that any form of off-body carry is a practice that should be discouraged...least that's what I've always read/heard. Sometimes I wonder though....If men's fashion consisted of mostly apparel that was cut-closer to the body or more form-fitting, and if the number & size of truly functional pockets was reduced--I wonder if that particular piece of conventional wisdom would be so frequently expressed.

I find it interesting that our wallets with their valuable contents (e.g., money, credit/debit cards, checkbooks, ID's, insurance cards, etc.), our keys, and other things that we really, really don't want to lose or have stolen--we carry these things in a purse, with seldom a second thought. Yet, we subscribe to the conventional wisdom about off-body carry of a firearm with seldom a second thought. [Oh, just fyi
....If someone is trying to steal my purse, I'm not going to quietly surrender it, regardlesss of whether it contains a firearm or other valuables.:icon_ nono2:]

:r_c:I frequently hear the argument that if one's purse contains a firearm, and that purse is stolen--then that firearm will be used against it's former owner or someone else. I'm thinking that if I'm in a situation where I am likely to be killed secondary to being robbed, does it really matter whether it was with my own firearm or one that belongs to another? With regards to providing a tool to a bad person who may use it to injure/kill another, I'm inclined to think that if a bad person is intent on mayhem or murder--then said bad person will most likely still find the tools or other means to execute his/her will. [I'm thinking that the argument that if a purse-containing-a-gun-is-stolen-that-gun-will-be-used-to-commit-a-crime...that argument is straying dangerously close to that used against firearms manufacturers (i.e., if guns are sold to law-abiding citizens and those guns are stolen....).]

Oh well, I don't carry--so most of this post is just my aimless mental meanderings on an Easter Sunday while I'm awaiting my spouse to return home. I'm afraid I'm going to take some "friendly-fire" from the forum members for a post which has strayed quite far from the conventional wisdom. But then....

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Points Terri. For me the issue is about my ability to defend myself in a situation where I am having my life threatened. My wallet is not something that is going to save my life. Would it suck if it was stolen? yes, but not life ending. Those things can be fixed with a few phone calls. My firearm for protection however, will save my life and if it's in a bag that the bad guy now has, what good is it to me now? My concern in that moment in time that I am being violated, is not what he may use that gun for later, but the fact that I am now unarmed and helpless while my attacker has my firearm. If my firearm is on me and a bad guy yanks my purse from me, I draw and hopefully receive my belongings back. In an attack situation,he is attacking me, my weapon is on me, with only seconds to think and act, I am much more able to defend myself reaching for my firearm on my body, rather than a bag that I've now dropped from the attack or has been taken from me. Most attacks are surprise attacks. You have zero time to think about what you are going to do. That's why it's so important to practice your draw and function of your firearms. For ME, I can't see me being able to draw from a purse faster than I can draw from my body. If a woman can honestly say that she can draw quick enough from her purse vs. her body, during a surprise attack when only nano seconds count, then I give her super kuddos for that. It's just not something I am capable of doing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd like to read Terri's thoughts on this but they disappeared?

So here is my dilemma and opinions are appreciated. I work in an area of Madison that is not so safe. I wear alot of dresses and dressy pants to work. I am short (5'1") with short legs. Basically, I'd like to have my gun when I walk from my car to the office and back but the clothes I wear in this heat wave aren't too helpful when it comes to concealing my firearm. I purchased a thigh holster thinking that would work well - only that my femur is too short to comfortably hide a gun there. Maybe it would work if I carried a small derringer instead of the 709. Is there a new gun in my future?

When I dress down and wear pants with a good belt, I have worn my minituck and nobody suspects. But that is only on Fridays. So I am thinking about a purse. Anyone have one that they recommend? I have seen alot of purse makers on the web and that is great, only you really can't tell how big they are - even the measurings on the same picture of the purse at different websites are different! What do you think?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I read the other thread on concealed carry purses and see that people have very strong views on whether or not to carry in a purse. Those of you who have wives who do, or those of you who do, what purses have you found that you liked and what are their dimensions?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I def am NOT interested in purse carry . . I have yet to meet anyone that can draw from them effectively . . and, all the things that MissKitty mentioned in post#2 ^^^ are VERY correct and apply to me. I am quick at the draw with a side holster, better choice for me in the overall. I also like wearing a vest and using the inside pocket. Hot weather is tough, is very hot where I live, but I usually just wear pants and a sloppy size larger shirt, so for me I am not bogged down with badly designed Women's clothing - crap that supposedly makes you look sexy and is totally useless otherwise. I used to wear all the frilly stuff, found it too hot, too uncomfortable, and truly dis-functional to cc. Being a doctor, I also carry when wearing scrubs, I just use an IWB. I own my scrubs so I had a good seamstress install a somewhat stiff band around the top and got rid of the shoestring and had her put in buttons and buttonholes. Worked out great. I also wear a size larger scrub top, so again, cc is easy.

Cheryl - I think you should contact the manufacturers of the purses directly, ask questions, see what you get as a reply, THEIR measurements will be accurate, those who are measuring them that sell them may round up a little . . Even one of those day planner types are better than a purse. Some of the options for men are better also. Since a carry the 709, I know where you are coming from, you might want to look at one of those IWB sew in pockets and just alter your clothes so you have CC if you cannot use a belt holster, and then there is the Remora IWB, I understand it stays where it is placed, don't know for sure since I do not use/have one.

and on edit, btw, over on www.thewellarmedwoman.com/ there are some vids on things for women who cc, they have a lot of info.

CD

Reactions: MissKitty

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I un-deleted Terri's post so you can see what I was replying too, although you should know she wont reply if you feel the need to ask her any questions regarding her opinion, she's been banned.

I believe that the NRA website (at least the catalog does), has some nice leather purses. I think if I had no other choice but to go without or a purse, I'd choose some kind of a tight cross body. Something that wouldn't easily come off me. The ones from the NRA are reinforced so they can't be cut off you and such.

I too am not a fancy dresser. Usually jeans and a t-shirt. So when the time comes that I can carry, you bet I'll be packing all the time. This past weekends shooting just shows it can happen anywhere at anytime.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I do not know if this belongs here or not but this youtube channel limalife (aka limatunes) - YouTube has some videos on concealed carry and firearms issues for women. She is thin, wears rather form fitting clothes for CC and carries a 1911 and others.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I had to peak at the post Miss Kitty, if a guy is wearing a purse he might be a victim, just because! Sorry JMHO.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
235 Posts
Too Funny ozzy . . LOL !! You might have a point there . .

They make MENS Purses, call them something other than that, but . . same as womens purses so to speak. I have a male friend who carrys his gun in a fanny pack, of course it out front not on his fanny, I am constantly gving him grief about it . . so he challenged me to use ot for a week . . gotta say . . it was OK, and drawing from it was not bas either.

THANKS MissKitty for putting that post back for us to read. I really cannot argue with the logic, it does make sense . . has some good points to it. We do have to recognize that sometimes we all can be a little hard core about stuff, I have said my piece a time or two as well on many subjects. When that happens, well, it does tweak a few people but the better part is that it makes us really think about stuff, eh? And where would we be without differences of opinion . . boring people . .

CD

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh my! Thank you, CD!!! YOU ROCK!!!! That website www.thewellarmedwoman.com is awesome! The videos are great and the videos she posts of women in the news are great as well! She has given me some good information and ideas. THANK YOU!!!!

I used to only wear jeans and shirts and would definitely only want to wear a small holster IWB. But now I'm working in an industry where my boss expects me to wear professional clothes (CPA, you know). The air conditioning isn't working very well so we do not have to wear suits right now, just the dressy pants with the blouse or dresses.

Reactions: CDinNM

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Cheryl. You are most welcome. Glad you like the site, has some good stuff, varitable cornucopia of information, and they are always adding things. If you are on facebook, they have a page there as well, so you will get updates and information all the time from them.

CD

·
Registered
217 Posts
I emailed Carrie Lightfoot about the Betty Holster and how I'd like to have one for the 709 in the future when the designer finally makes one. She responded immediately! And yes, I've already liked her Facebook page.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I got one about a year ago for my wife. She has two guns she carries a PT 111 pro in a Crossbreed Super Tuck and a PT911 which she carries in the purse. The purse has held up excellent now for a year used daily by her. She has actually gotten pretty quick getting the gun out of it too, though she spent hours learning how and practicing. She prefers the purse when going to appointments such as doctor or out for the evening. During the day in her normal dress (jeans and shirt) she wears the Super Tuck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I recently got a HarWell Clip N Go holster for my PT 709 Slim. It's an IWB holster, small and compact like the gun, it has an adjustable belt clip, it can be worn in any position, it has excellent retention and it is truly comfortable to wear. The first time I used it I almost forgot I had my gun on me. I like the leather/kydex combo, nice sweat protection for the gun, and the leather contours to your body and the gun. They make holsters to fit all the compacts, I also have the Clip N Go for my Springfield XDS, again, truly comfortable holster.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
You are welcome MissKitty, they are absolutely a GREAT holster maker, the price is good as well, includes shipping. I think they make a holster for ALL the Taurus compacts, the list is in their drop-down box . . def a good choice. And I have to add, VERY NICE people to deal with, VERY NICE!!!

CD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts