Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this email from my dad today. Not sure if it has already been posted on here. Sorry if it has.

Warning: Tagging Gun Owners
Posted on January 4, 2012 by Georgetown PD

A YELLOW STICK-ON DOT AT THE 2:00 O'CLOCK POSITION ON THE TIRE. Ray

Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check you car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.

This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:

I don’t know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.
BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got a similar email from MY dad about two weeks ago. Last week I got an NRA alert email debunking the urban legend. Wish I would have kept it to cut and re-paste.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree. After buying a computer in S.A. at Best Buy we stopped for dinner off 410 on the way home. All our shopping was placed in the trunk at Best Buy so nothing was visible, must have been followed from the store to the restaurant where the car was broken into. Cops didn't do much except take a phone statement-$250 misdemeanor fine for breaking into vehicles. The new penalty was making crime profitable.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
To preface, the nearest indoor shooting range to my location is an hour long drive on a rural interstate.That said, when I stopped at a Scheels before going to the range I took my cased range gun with me into the store in a backpack, an action which is perfectly legal . The odds of a person staking out my vehicle and following me from the sporting goods store to rip me off are remote, but criminals get lucky too. And it doesn't take much time to pop the trunk and search it for valuables.

I make it a point to complete any stops I make in town before I get to the range, including fuel, because once I start the car to leave I proceed nonstop directly home just like if I lived in New Jersey. Whether this particular warning above is valid or not, it is not difficult for a crook-or his sexy girlfriend- to stake out my gun range parking lot and tell an accomplice in the business lot next door to 'follow that white Nissan w/the Air Force license frame ' in the hopes ill stop somewhere local.

Perhaps this last action falls in the category of paranoia, but when I do leave the range I do not just proceed directly to my car. Ill walk to the end of the lot and double back in the event someone is in hiding behind the car or near it waiting to relieve me of my guns, vehicle & keys plus wallet all in one go.

Reactions: bre346 and kaiged1

·
Registered
432 Posts
To preface, the nearest indoor shooting range to my location is an hour long drive on a rural interstate.That said, when I stopped at a Scheels before going to the range I took my cased range gun with me into the store in a backpack, an action which is perfectly legal . The odds of a person staking out my vehicle and following me from the sporting goods store to rip me off are remote, but criminals get lucky too. And it doesn't take much time to pop the trunk and search it for valuables.

I make it a point to complete any stops I make in town before I get to the range, including fuel, because once I start the car to leave I proceed nonstop directly home just like if I lived in New Jersey. Whether this particular warning above is valid or not, it is not difficult for a crook-or his sexy girlfriend- to stake out my gun range parking lot and tell an accomplice in the business lot next door to 'follow that white Nissan w/the Air Force license frame ' in the hopes ill stop somewhere local.

Perhaps this last action falls in the category of paranoia, but when I do leave the range I do not just proceed directly to my car. Ill walk to the end of the lot and double back in the event someone is in hiding behind the car or near it waiting to relieve me of my guns, vehicle & keys plus wallet all in one go.
Well these days I consider my paranoia to be just being cautious, now 20 years ago my paranoia would just be craziness. Case in point, I got mugged in STL in 2007 while in the greyhound bus stop and I watched everyone in that place like a hawk and still got a Desert Eagle shoved literally up my nose, because those bus officials won't let you carry on even if you have a CCL. Now is my paranoia Crazy?

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
I go around to PETA and Democratic party meetings and place"NO GUN ON BOARD" stckers on their rear bumpers.

It publicizes their beliefs and helps the car jackers know where to shop without fear of getting shot.

Hey, turn around is only fair right? ;)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I haven't personally seen this... I never keep a firearm in my car when I'm not in it.. so no problems there....

Reactions: here2serve

·
Registered
496 Posts
I so miss my days in Duluth MN. Not the snow! I left the keys in my truck. My house was never locked. Would come home to one of my friends eating a sandwich watching tv. Kinda thing happen when the wife kicks ya out. The one time I came out of a store and my truck was gone I thought "Where did it go". Not who stole it. Another friend pulled up in my truck 5 minutes latter. He had a flat saw my truck and went to get a spare tire. Get to know your neighbors, build community, look out for each other. That way when the zombie come you can cover each others back.

AND no I'm not 99 this was in 1986

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just checked with Snopes.com and they claim false. BUT, since the rumor is going around the BG's may decide its a good idea. Can't hurt to check your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wether it is false or not, we need to keep an eye out. I was followed a year ago and 3 guns got stolen out of my truck when I made a stop on my way home. They followed me from the range and waited til I was away from my truck. I was only gone 10 minutes. Luckily I didn't take any of my expensive guns with me that day. I did lose my PT145 though. That really upset me.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Its a good thing these thieves are not smart enough to remember a license plate number. It would be simpler than putting stickers or chalk on a car.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Its a good thing these thieves are not smart enough to remember a license plate number. It would be simpler than putting stickers or chalk on a car.
You're assuming they can actually read though.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You're assuming they can actually read though.
If they are too illiterate to read, and can only use a chalk mark or a sticker, they are still a very despicable and dangerous force to contend with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts