Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interesting article. They loved the gun, found it far superior to the Rossi R46202 .357, were very pleased with the way it felt in the hand and the way it shot, but had to give it an "F" grade due to a jammed cylinder locking pin caused by recoil when using mag loads, which of course, should it happen, would render the gun useless.

That's the bad news. The good news is that a simple 10 minute fix solved the problem, apparently permanently, should it ever occur in your M605.

They discovered that the course of the locking pin sticking was caused by a too tight fit.
It was 0.117 inch in diameter. By using a 0.120 inch drill (#31) bit and inserting it into the hole of the star, they found that it wouldn't go all the way through. By hand-turning the drill bit they were able to get the it all the way through the star, and this seemed to permanently solve the problem.

This can be done without removing either the side plate or the cylinder. Insert 5 empty cases into the cylinder, hold the base pin in a vise with leather padding, and unscrew it ( left-hand thread). Out comes the spring and the pin and then you can either hand-hold the star and insert the drill, or put the drill in a vise and turn the star into it by hand.

They concluded the article by saying that 1) this should never have been a problem coming from the factory, and 2) after the fix they would give it an "A" grade.

I wonder if any owners have had this problem, or was the problem simply confined to the gun they tested?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Funny you should say this. The locking pin on my 605 was starting to get notchy.  I put some gun oil on it and worked the heck out of it with the butt end of a mini maglight.  It seems fine now.  My friend had his pin get stuck like the one above in his Rossi.  Apparently no gun is immune.  His just loaded up with junk.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Unfortunate that this happened. All that the bashers will remember is the "F". Have not read the article, but assuming Taurus "lent" them a weapon to test, I would have hoped that the factory would have done a pre-inspection for quality control prior to shipping. Pardon the pun but it sounds like Taurus shot themselves in the foot.

·
32,808 Posts
Wouldn't you know that a Rossi 461 was part of the test also and had the same problem and remedy done on it. Both revolvers worked for the testers after that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From what I recall from my previous issues of Gun Tests, they purchase the guns on the open retail market. I don't believe they get them directly from the factory. They resell the guns after testing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MillCreek:

That's my take on how they acquire weapons. They just buy them on the open market - which in my opinion is a good idea. That way you don't get a gun from a manufacturer that's been all gussied up for a test and therefore not representative of what the average Joe is going to buy at his nearby gun store.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Too bad we can't order a gun pre-tested. I would like to see them put 100 rounds threw my gun and make shure everything is OK. If you did't whant it shot then you would not order it that way or just buy it off the shelf. I have 3 to 4 hundred rounds of 357 threw my 605 and it shoots great. I am no great shot but, I can hit Clay Pidgeons stationary at 50', with carefull aim.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I talked to the local gun shop folks about the Gun Test article. They said they've sold several dozen M605's in recent months and only one came back with this problem; they took it in back to the gunsmith who did exactly the same thing with the 0.120 drill bit to de-burr it. They said the guy's gun has worked perfectly since then.

So it would seem that this is not exactly a common problem.

And Dave, if you shot that many .357 rounds through yours, you definitely have a trouble-free shooter.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Haven't had that problem with mine, but will check it out next time on the range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts