Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 2008 issue of Gun Tests magazine tested .45 ACP, thumb safety equipped, versions of the OSS vs M&P vs XD. OSS finished a very distant last. Also, the images of the gun show a stainless barrel with the black grip. Are they shipping black OSS with a stainless barrel?

Any of you OSS owners read this review? what are your thoughts?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I've searched online for the article you reference, but I cannot find it. Can you please provide a link to it?

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
Latest Taurus Catalog shows a stainless/black OSS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
texastaurusguy said:
I've searched online for the article you reference, but I cannot find it. Can you please provide a link to it?
here's the home page....but it still shows the June 2008 issue. i subscribe and just received the july 2008 hardcopy. i guess we'll have to wait for the web site to be updated. but trust me, it ain't pretty.

BTW, two different versions of the Millenium Pro have been reviewd by GT in the past 3-4 months.

http://www.gun-tests.com/

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have subscribed to them several times over the years and have had a love/hate relationship. They will test a gun and slam it to heck and back then test it again vs something else two months later and it's the greatest ever.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Well, thats where I was going with my inquiry.....I saw a couple of other articles that compared the OSS to some other guns, and the OSS looked like it acquitted itself pretty well.....that can just be differences in opinion of the different gun writers, though - some of those guys won't give anything a thumbs up unless it says '1911' or 'Glock' on it......thats why I wouldn't get too worked up about a bad article.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Can you copy it into this thread?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Gun Tests has an odd philosophy for criteria. It varies with the gun tested. I've noticed that Mossberg also has a rough time in their tests, even when they had no problems with the gun, and it scored well against the others tested. Colt also has the same problems, as does Dan Wesson and High Standard. They purchase a random sample of the weapons, apparently without examining them first. While that's good, it doesn't represent a true percentage of the gun tested. I take their testing as a guideline to examining potential problems if I decide to purchase an example. So far, it's worked well. :D

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Can someone copy and paste it or save it to a pdf or doc file to download? I would like to read it also, but don't want to join.

·
Administrator
18,275 Posts
Gopher said:
I have subscribed to them several times over the years and have had a love/hate relationship. They will test a gun and slam it to heck and back then test it again vs something else two months later and it's the greatest ever.
+1! In a previous review of a standard DAO 24/7 .45 they raved about how good it was!

I now have put 500 trouble free rounds (without cleaning it) thru my .45 24/7 OSS with various bullet configurations, including SWC's. Accuracy was excellent when I did my part! What's not to like?

·
32,737 Posts
They've had gun testers who are nameless for the most part. No problem so it seems. However in the last few months their newbies who fire the test guns seem to have all kinds of problems.

Gun Tests at least acknowledged that fact that limp wristing, being unfamiliar with each type of gun, and other factors were causing no end of trouble.Gun Tests has not acknowledged the fact the trouble seems to continue.

One of the problems is that the testers, whether professional or not, all have their bad moments and unfamiliarity with the guns being tested. That's either hinted at or apparent in the tests month after month.

Professionals can be great with a variety of guns. It is hard to stay current and proficient with so many varied types,makes,and models. Yes, there are people who can pick up just about any firearm and do well with it. Those are in the minority though.

Except for the general tests there seems little time to get used to a particular brand,make, or model.

Production run guns can vary,true. Problem is there's been nothing changed on the production guns,quality is still good, and Gun Tests has different testers at each or for most of their tests. Yet test results are 180 degree every few months.

So Gun Tests does have it's faults and it's successes. There have been spot on reports they've had.

Here's an example though it's not a Gun Test screw up.

Glowing reports on the New Ruger SR9 abound still and have for about the last year. The media loves them. Then came the recall.

If the pistol is dropped with the safety off the gun can or will fire. Yes, I've got an SR9. It's in the serial number group, that means just about all of them, that need to be returned to the factory and a new trigger module group and other parts are going to be installed. Fun,fun.

Not all the SR9s are unfit. I was warned about 'being the first". Ignored the one time and *&%$#@!. LOL Lesson learned.

The rest of Ruger's stable of guns is still solid. So are the Taurus OSS pistols.

Gun Tests had real world problems with Walther PPK/S and S&W 629s. Documented the whole thing. Gave the guns F or close to it ratings.

Both companies fixed the problems and the gun are now considered great buys.

The Taurus OSS will recover and go on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
BAH! Ill put my 24/7 pro up against any Springfield XD anytime but I wont be limp wristing it like the so called professionals at Gun Tests did with the OSS...

I wonder how much Springfield (The XD is in direct competition with the OSS) paid Gun Tests to give the OSS a bad review? Its not fair to give a completely wonderful pistol a bad review because the writers didn't bother to properly shoot the weapon.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Big-Rob :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here we go another post from T rubble trashing a Taurus, Why am I not surprised?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
TheBulldog said:
Here we go another post from T rubble trashing a Taurus, Why am I not surprised?
He's not trashing Taurus...remember, this isn't some of the OTHER gun forums where members just go around trolling. Take it easy and don't always jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
509 Posts
NYPD said:
He's not trashing Taurus...remember, this isn't some of the OTHER gun forums where members just go around trolling. Take it easy and don't always jump to conclusions.
I have concluded that if he finds something wrong he will run with it.
Blow it way out of perportion too.
:soapbox: but that is just some folks! :deadhorse:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts