Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to a wake earlier in the day and I shaved and wore a collar shirt( which doesn't happen to often). On the way out I stopped at a gun store a couple towns over. I had bin looking online and saw this shop had a couple 38 special's. The online store said they were coming from our warehouse and you had to pay 20 shipping plus 5 for shipping insurance no tax I live in the free State of New Hampshire. So I thought maybe they would have a couple at the shop and save the shipping fee. I stopped in. The only thing they had behind the glass was Ruger and S&W all with 550 + price tags. I asked the kid behind the counter if he had any 38 or 357 in the sub 500 range. I told him I saw the Taurus on his website. He basically tried to explain to me that the only thing I would find would be a Charter arms or Taurus and that I shouldn't trust that it would last or be reliable. Then asked me what state I lived in, as if I was unaware that you can only buy a handgun in the state you reside in. Basically I think he thought I was a new gun buying yuppie. I think it would have bin different if I pulled up on my Roadglide in my work clothes I don't know. I did order an 856 for 330. I also ordered a barkeep for 120 with the rebate will bring it down to 100. I have a tx22 and it has always bin reliable though about 1k rounds.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Unless the salesman has asked you enough questions to nail down what you actually need--as well as what you want to pay--then presume that he's going to suggest what brings in the most profit or what is otherwise difficult to sell.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The rare times that I purchase a firearm from a local gun store I already know what I want and for the reasons that I want it, so all I'm doing there is taking advantage of a good sale price or bargain sale.

IMO, any gun counter sales person that isn't the owner and is really knowledgeable about the firearms they're selling is most likely getting paid fairly well & you usually won't find super bargains at places like that (higher overhead costs). Otherwise you're dealing with someone with street knowledge that usually doesn't know much about what their selling.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
403 Posts
Just because they work in a gun store, don't assume they know anything about guns.
Commissioned sales people who don't know their butt from a buttered biscuit.
We refer to them as 'Amish car salesmen'.

·
Registered
32,767 Posts
To me, that makes it opportunity time to me, if a salesman talks negatively about a firearm I have interest in, and I would hit him for an additional discount to help hum get rid of that sorry piece of trash!:)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The two local gun shops here are pretty good about not bad mouthing brands but one tries to push Glocks and CZs....which I like and own a few, and the other tries to start with Kimbers and then Glocks....will settle for a S&W purchase though.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discounting politicians, the dumbest things I’ve heard about firearms have largely been in gun stores … some mind numbingly stupid advice. Often the people working know next to nothing about guns. I recently had a guy try to tell me a shotgun was US-made - I pointed out the PRC stamp on the receiver and asked what it stood for & the guy tried to claim it was a part number.

·
9,608 Posts
Too bad you'all have these bad experiences. Big box stores is where I find useless counter help, but the local gun stores around here do a pretty good job.

Reactions: ChrisH and jwc007

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Just because they work in a gun store, don't assume they know anything about guns.
Bass Pro, Cabelas and Field and Stream are perfect examples of that. Funny how a lot of gun store clerks know a little about their own guns, and guess about the rest. And I've seldom heard someone who owns XYZ model admit they made a mistake. In my case, someone else owns the mistakes I made. Got rid of 'em.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So went to a wake earlier in the day and I shaved and wore a collar shirt( which doesn't happen to often). On the way out I stopped at a gun store a couple towns over. I had bin looking online and saw this shop had a couple 38 special's. The online store said they were coming from our warehouse and you had to pay 20 shipping plus 5 for shipping insurance no tax I live in the free State of New Hampshire. So I thought maybe they would have a couple at the shop and save the shipping fee. I stopped in. The only thing they had behind the glass was Ruger and S&W all with 550 + price tags. I asked the kid behind the counter if he had any 38 or 357 in the sub 500 range. I told him I saw the Taurus on his website. He basically tried to explain to me that the only thing I would find would be a Charter arms or Taurus and that I shouldn't trust that it would last or be reliable. Then asked me what state I lived in, as if I was unaware that you can only buy a handgun in the state you reside in. Basically I think he thought I was a new gun buying yuppie. I think it would have bin different if I pulled up on my Roadglide in my work clothes I don't know. I did order an 856 for 330. I also ordered a barkeep for 120 with the rebate will bring it down to 100. I have a tx22 and it has always bin reliable though about 1k rounds.
Fellow NH resident here. When I went to buy my G3, I had done enough research ahead of time so that when I went in, I only spoke to them to ask if I could buy it. I don't appreciate unsolicited opinions, sorry that you had to go through that.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Gun stores only hire experts so they know everything about guns, You can always believe what they tell You.
A Friend told Me one tried to sell Him a rifle telling Him that dove season was opening soon, I never knew You could hunt dove with a rifle now I do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Retail doesn't pay well. Don't get me wrong, I know some great and knowledgeable people who work in retail. Still, the industry as a whole doesn't pay well. You are often being helped by someone who knows a lot about something, but maybe not about the product they sell. Your help at the hardware store may be an avid motor head but a sorry plumber. A gun store has to get people who will show up on time, be polite, and can pass a criminal background check. After that, they are filling the spot behind the counter for at or near minimum wage. Add to that the tendency in the firearms world for anyone who's ever shot a duck to think themselves an expert on all things gunny and the inability of so many to differentiate their own opinions from gospel truth.

Gun stores are indeed ground zero for really bad advice.

·
Registered
29,556 Posts
If you encounter an idiot behind any counter (not only a gun counter) ask to speak to somebody else. Don't be nasty about it, let the person get in trouble without your help, but hopefully there is somebody around who either knows more, or at least is a better salesman.

NOTE: success is not guaranteed, but you can always hope.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Gun stores only hire experts so they know everything about guns, You can always believe what they tell You.
A Friend told Me one tried to sell Him a rifle telling Him that dove season was opening soon, I never knew You could hunt dove with a rifle now I do.
You can hunt anything with a rifle as long as you belong to the Clampett family. Those people can shoot flies off the wall at 50 yards looking through a rear view mirror. 😁

·
Registered
73 Posts
I won't argue with anybody about dummies behide the counter at gun stores (or any retail for that matter). However, I would give the guy a break (at least about asking you what state you're from); I expect that in New Hampshire there might be a lot of out-of-state idiots on the other side of the counter trying to buy hand guns and he didn't want to wade through a bunch of paper work and then not make a sale. In retail it is usually good to answer questions honestly, but not to answer questions that are not asked. On the other hand, asking questions of some customers is sometimes warrented: such as, what do you want the gun for and how much experience have you had with the particular style of gun. I went to the range one day and a man in his 80's (I assumed) was shooting a new Kahr PM40. when I got to the range he already had two band-aids on his left thumb, (he was crossing his left thumb over his right) and the gun was failing to extract with every shot. I showed him how to hold the gun and told him that little semi-autos needed to be held tightly so as to control muzzle rise. He still had trouble with jamming but he didn't get slide bite any more. If the salesman had talked with him and found out his experience, he could have directed him to a .380, or even better, a revolver. When someone askes you a stupid question, you don't know what kind of idiots they may have had to deal with. Don't judge them on the stupid questions they ask you, judge them on the stupid answers or advice that they give you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts