Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a locking box that I want to use to store my PT92 in and to carry it to and from the range. I'd like to get some of that foam to put in as an insert that will let me carve out the shape of the gun and some magazines for a nice custom fit. Anyone know what I'm talking about or where to get something like that?

I apologize if this isn't the right space to ask a question like this. If not, please feel free to slap my hand and move it to some place more appropriate. :)

·
Administrator
40,574 Posts
I think you're talking about the egg crate foam padding. You can get that at medical supply houses and probably some drug stores. I've only seen it in an off white color, but who knows, it may come in various shades and colors.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
Search the forum, someone posted up how to make a wire foam cutter. Not sure where to buy the foam, I find enough from different things at work.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Reactions: djeaton

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That's what I like about this forum...friendly helpful people. I didn't even get a chance to add my 2 cents before all the answers were there.

Reactions: Wingshot and darbo

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm just north of you, in Jasper.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I bought a nice pistol case from bass pro that will hold up to 4 guns for less then $20.00....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum, I'm just north of you, in Jasper.
Cool, JR! Bet you don't have the same issues trying to find a place to shoot like I do. I'm about 500 yards inside the city limits in a subdivision and I'd get into real trouble shooting off my deck. :) So I have to go to a range and rent a lane and such. And because I really need to be accompanied when I go out, that's an extra range charge. It adds up. If you have some free place to shoot, perhaps we can meet up some time if you are interested. A gallon of gas is a LOT cheaper than range fees. :)

BTW, how is it finding ammo up there? I've been to four places that sell guns/ammo since last Thursday. Only one had 9mm, but would only sell it to you if you were buying a gun or renting a lane on the range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a nice pistol case from bass pro that will hold up to 4 guns for less then $20.00....
Is that the normal price? Can you post a pic of it? This is what I found, on a total fluke when I was looking for something to store all my cleaning supplies in. This was only $18 (on clearance) at Target.
Technology Electronic device Electronics
I know it isn't INTENDED for guns, but it suits my needs and in case I am ever pulled over on the way to the range or something, Barney Fife will be a lot more comfortable if I tell him that I have a gun, but it's locked in the box. Now before any of my new friends here get defensive, I'm not suggesting that all cops are like that, but I've met my share that are looking for some reason to write you up. And with so many city and county budgets in turmoil now days, I seem to run into more and more of them.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Great question. I'm looking for a 1" slab of foam. The foam my rifle case came with is too thick. The lid does close so I am hoping the foam will start to relax around the rifle and scope.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One thing that works well is a sleeping bag mat used for camping. Available at Wally World, Target (and other fine retailers :") and is pretty inexpensive. Also, exercise mat (also found at Wally World) or other stores. probably a little more expensive than camping mat but usually found in black. Advantages to this type of matting are ease of cutting (with a utility or Exacto type knife) and it is thin enough to have a base layer then place another layer or more (cut to conform to the shape of the items you want in the case) and place it on top of base layer. Use adhesive or double sided tape to keep the layers securely attached to each other.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
This may not be what you want but I wanted to share it just in case.

This makes a nice solid secure way to transport and store handguns....

Http://www.mrammocan.com

Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
There's a craft store -- Hobby Lobby -- and I think they're in most major metro areas. My wife picked up some foam there to line some drawers and shelves, told me about it, and I went with her to get some pieces to reline the shelves on my pistol safe. I bought some pieces about 12" by 24", but they had other sizes up to 1" thick. (They are a grey-white color) You might try there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts