Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day I had. I hit a small gun show today over in Allentown (Eagle Arms @ Days Inn). I went in set on buying Springfield XD .45 (w/10&13 round mags and gear). The best price I was offered was $490. which I thought was very good. I was able to give the gun a real hard look and feel. Boy she really is a beauty. Everything was going great and I was almost ready to plunk down the ole visa, but something didn't feel quite right. Then I saw an M&P, which I've also heard is a very good gun, again once in hand I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling. I then spotted a familiar face, a Taurus 24/7 pro SS for $375. I immediately asked for it. All was good except for two things. I prefer blued for my guns and the mag did not sit well. There was a gap that was more spaced out than normal. I decided to pass and continued on.

I then ran into a table where my local dealer was at. She to had the XD ($539.) and a blued 24/7 pro ($409). She greeted me and we began to chat. She pulled out both XD and 24/7 and I began to fondle again. She said that she would give me the pro for $399. if I wanted it. It was then that I realized that as good a gun as the XD is touted to be, I just could not get comfortable with the grip. It reminded me of my P89 Ruger, just a wee bit on the bulky side. The pro on the other hand was just the perfect fit. I felt like this was my gun and it needed to come home with me.

Just when I was about to pay for it I noticed a very small rust (or browning mark) just below the front sight. It seemed to have been made when they installed the sight (a brass brush and some touch up should take care of that). Since she did not have any others in stock, she was able to give it to me for $380. I was good with that. So hear I am happy as a pig in poop with my new, blued 24/7 pro w/2 12 round mags included. So off I went to the tac light table to complete my set up (no laser, just a light). I'll try and post a picture as soon as I can. I really can't wait to shoot her hopefully this week. I gotta sneek it past the wife :D, This now makes six Taurus guns in my collection and I wasn't even trying to start one. I just find these guns to be the perfect match for me :D

Mike

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Sounds like a long day at the gun show. Good choices all the way around and you couldn't go wrong any way you went. I own all three of the aforementioned firearms:
XD-45ACP with the shortened grip frame; S&W M&P 40C; and a Taurus 24/7 40 cal SS. The S&W is strictly for CCW purposes; the XD is for CCW with the 10-round mag and open carry with the 13-round; and the Taurus is just an all around great shooter which I carry quite often.

I would stray away from placing a light on the rail for your own safety. If the need should arise in the dark of night and you flip that light on it is entirely possible that you will become the target. My advice is go with the old FBI model. Gun in strong hand and flashlight in the other with the arm extended up and away from your body. This way you can still blind the perp but his first instinct will be to shoot at the light.

But if it's for non-defensive purposes than go with it and have fun. :shooter:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sounds like a great day!

The Carters Country I go to all the time in Houston is having a sale until the 11th, they have the XD's on sale for $350.00

There number is (281) 879-1466

Ask for Zeb and tell him Mike that just bought the Winchester safe from him sent you over. Im sure they will ship it pretty cheap to your FFL dealer and after shipping and FFL Fee's you should still be right around 400 bucks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Carter's Country is having a sale? I shoot there but have never bought from them. Used to shoot at a good place in North Houston but it burned down. Might have to check out that sale.

I went to a gunshow here in Houston last week intent on picking up either a 24/7 or an XD. In the end, I walked out with a new M&P9. The XD did not feel good in my hand, but my large pawed friend loved it and bought one. Very pleased with my purchase, but I still want that 24/7. Just have to wait till a little cash flows in.

Hopefully the OSS will be out. I want one of those in the worst way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts