Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saxet runs a gun show every month in San Antonio (medium sized shows). Coming up this weekend. I will NOT be there.

Last month (and things were just starting to heat up after the Sandy Hook tragedy) I went. Show starts at 9:00, and I figured I'd "play it smart" since I figured on a crowd, and get there about 8:00. I was already running low on .22s and knew it wouldn't get any better.

I was up and about very early, and figured I'd go extra early, grab a cup of coffee and read the paper in my car. Wrong! Hit the parking lot at 7:00, there was already a line. chilly day so I took my 2 coffees, pulled on an old hunting jacket to stay warm, and got in line. Had a good time chatting with the folks around me --- and almost every one of the guys was "hoping to find an AR".

Before 8:00, 2 guys with shopping carts started "working the crowd" selling high-cap magazines, and they had a big piles of them. Other guys were walking up and down with AR's, SKSs, and AKs, with a "for sale" sign on them, looking for customers. Guy next to me stopped each one and checked it out ---- most were going for well over $1K. I stopped a guy with an new-looking AK (although I was bought my own a couple of motnhs back) and he was asking about $400 MORE than I had paid. He sold it too, as I saw him going back to his truck for another one.

When the doors finally opened, the parking lot was full, there was a two-block line of cars waiting to get into the lot, and the line went clear around the building. Like "Black Friday" at WalMart. Everyone made a bee line for the mag guys and the AR guys.

I poked around for ammo, no bargains, but did get a fair supply of .22s. Everything else was way over-priced. (So were my .22s, but the local LGDs were already "dry") On 7x39's and 5mms, some of the ammo guys refused to sell one box --- take a case or nothing. And guys were taking it. Once I had my ammo, and having paid for the ticket, I just snooped around. Saw USED pieces for more than the price at Academy. But the panic had already started. I saw a ton of AR's for sale, and they were going fast. where they dealers got them on short notice, I don't know.

Guns shows used to be just a fun way to spend a couple of hours and run into guys you knew- - - - - and if I found even ONE bargain, that was great.

Wouldn't go to this one if you paid me. BTW: any truth to the rumours that anti-gun groups in some parts of the country are picketing shows?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I went to two last weekend, same situation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Won't see me in there either. I like to make the trek from Floresville 0nce in a while. Usually on my bike so I get a decent parking spot.
I can shop on-line for what I need and wait out the idiots. Used to go look for old Marlins, and could sometimes find a hidden treasure.
Don't want to fight the crowd, get my car or bike scratched up, or fight off the scalpers.

JB

·
Registered
223 Posts
Buddy went to a local one, I was working, and said it was terrible. Guys selling wanted more than or equal to retail for even common used handguns. Ammo was insanely price, Blazer Brass 9mm boxes for $20! Go down the road and $14 all day.

He brought his pretty much new M&P 9mm compact to see if he could get more than he paid....people offered him half of retail. Total waste of time he said.

Saw tons of AR and AK's. I'd absolutely love one but will never drop $1k on a gun that costs so damn much to shoot for fun.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
A friend went to the one in Lewisville here last week - said they were very disappointed. Huge crowds, and you could basically go next door to Academy and get a new pistol for less than anything used in the show.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
There's one here in Pittsburgh (Monroeville Expomart) on Saturday and Sunday, as tempted as I am I'll just go to Walmart and see what I can scrape up ammo wise. The last time I went, it was a zoo with all the animals uncaged. Saw guys selling the most beat down Mosin-Nagants for $300+, and 90% of them didn't have a complete set of sights on them. The craziest part is that it was over a year ago when I saw this, I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend.

Maybe I'll get lucky at my LGS and find something I don't mind dropping a couple bucks on, I can always use a good .22 or maybe I'll put some money down on a sweet duo-tone PT92 that I saw a few weeks back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.