Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Allen, Tx. Gun Show put on by Premier Shows. I have been to a number of gun shows and I have gleaned a couple of things about gun shows in general; First, most people INCLUDING the dealers/retailers/vendors at the show are virtually CLUELESS about firearms. I am really amazed at the lack of knowledge they have. We (us, TA.net collectively) had MUCH more firearm knowledge than anyone I met at the show. As I mentioned in another post, I was interested in a cheapo Zamak special truck gun like a Phoenix, Jimenez, or Jennings, etc. I was looking at Phoenix HP22 that was stickered at $165 and asked why it was so expensive when it was a 'Zamak' gun. The vendor replied "It's Zamak steel." I politely informed him that Zamak was a zinc/aluminum alloy potmetal and got a blank stare until he responded "Oh yeah, potmetal steel!" I chuckled and moved on.

About pricing.. all Phoenixes, Jimenezes, and the Jennings' (not many of them there) we all waaaay overpriced. I say a HP22 stickered at $165! NIB online is $124. Now I know when you buy online you have to pay shipping but $165 is still way out of line. I saw a Jimenez .380 USED for $159!! When I questioned the vendor about the price I got the usual "Well we can't buy volume" and "I'll throw in the FFL paperwork for free.." line. When I said that a used Jimenez .380 was selling for $75-$100 online I got the nasty "Well then go buy it from them!" retort. I replied that I could get 2 online for the price he was selling them at (loud enough for other folks to hear btw).

I just don't get what the allure of gunshows is. Other than seeing all the doodads, wigetswhizbanger gazintas, beef jerky and other 'food product' vendors, I don't get the gun show allure. Oh, and whats up wth the complete idiot that waves a SS Dirty Harry 12" revolver around, finger ON trigger, with the anti-theft cable flapping everywhere and blabbing "OH YEAH, that's what I'M talkin' 'bout!!" Even saw a guy with cross bandoleros on with 2 gold plated 1911's (4 total) hanging on them over each shoulder. Classic gun show clownery. Woulda' got a picture but photography is not allowed on the show floor.

And no, I didn't buy anything. Even got in free for donating a pint of blood at the bloodmobile outside the entrance.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
In some cases gun show reviews could be posted in the "Funny Farm". I usually keep an eye on what comes in the door without looking like I'm in the "No Buying and Selling" area.

You ought to check out local gun auctions. Sometimes there are deals, and other times, total sticker shock.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Well, gun shows have been going down hill for a while now, doesn't sound like this one was any different. I'm pretty much quit being excited about gun shows, at least the smaller ones, and don't care to drive in Houston traffic to go to a big one. I haven't bought anything at a gun show in quite a long while.

I find better bargains at Academy than at gun shows and rather like giving my LGSs business. If I'm gonna pay THAT kind of pricing, I'd rather support my local dealer and, heck, they often are far better on their prices.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I haven't been to one in awhile cause of just what you said and the price to get in. I would rather drive from one local shop to another and stop to eat somewhere. It's a better day and less crowded. Plus I don't waste $10 of my gun money on entrance fees.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yep.. sounds like gun shows and also a few pawn shops around here.. they buy low, and then jack up the price way high trying to get any one new to firearms to think its a "really great deal"! LOL.

·
23,103 Posts
The allure of gun shows for me is summed up in one word; selection. If you've read about a gun you didn't know about, a show of any decent size is likely to give you the chance to find out how it feels.

And you may find that used treasure that would take ages to find on line, if you ever figured out you needed it in the first place.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Here in Melbourne we have the same group come around about every 6-7 weeks. Pricing on pretty much everything is high. As mentioned it can be a good place to do the touch feely thing about something you are considering to buy but that is about it.

There is 1 ammo vendor that has pretty good prices. I have been told that he was asked to not show up at other shows because his prices hurt the other vendors. He does have good pricing!

It's only $5 to get in so I got 1 or 2 times a year just to wander around and look at the same old stuff.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Where I live there's at least ten legit licensed dealers within a half-hour drive, all with free admission, most with reasonable pricing (if you know how to work it). Got no use for the corporate gun shows.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My local gun show has changed quit a bit since the 80"s . Back then you were able to find a good bargain and prices were competitive if not reasonable. Now it seem all you see are traveling gun shops that try and sell whatever has been sitting in their inventory for 5 years at a ridiculous markup. The other half of tables are cheap knives, Old military surplus, beef jerky and pickle stands. I now go to maybe one a year just to browse.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Out here in Phoenix, we have regular "Crossroads of the West" gun shows at the fairgrounds. All I will say about them is they are held in the building that was once the Home of the Suns basketball team, and was lovingly referred to as "The Madhouse on McDowell Road". And that nickname describes well the atmosphere of a gun show in that building. It is a madhouse of various idiots, many of whom have so little knowledge of what they are selling you have to wonder how they can even function in society today.

For me to go to a gun show anymore, I have to be either so bored out of my skull that I need to do something, or someone else has invited me to join them. Even then, I try to avoid going to the gun shows here. I have so many dealers within a small radius around here that it is scary. And some have great deals on most any firearm you could want.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I have been to a total on 1 gun show in my life and swore that it would be the last. No offense intended to anyone hear, but I was very uncomfortable imagining that some of those in attendance could be armed. Not to mention how long the line was at the beer stand.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
It's not impossible to get a good deal on a firearm at a gun show but for the most part guns were
overpriced for the most part at the shows I have attended. I did happen to find my Taurus 617 at
a gun show several years ago and it was a fair price so I bought it since I had been looking for one
for several weeks at local gun stores with no luck. I've actually had better luck buying ammunition at
reasonable prices than fireams at the gun shows I've attended.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yeah the guns show here suck too, way overpriced. But it's an excuse for a bunch of us to pile into a car for a day out and a big lunch.

Reactions: darbo and chefduane

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
If you go to a gun show expecting good deals, you're going for the wrong reasons. The only real deals is the jerky, sausage and the pickles (the spicy garlic are amazing). When I go to the shows, I look for the things that my LGS's don't have in stock or to handle firearms I'm considering for the stable. I generally get decent prices on cast bullets, powders or the occasional firearm. I do make it a point to visit tables of my LGS's that are at the shows to continue their support. I think my last decent deals were a spamcan of Mosin ammo at 159 (going price at the time was near 200) and cleaned, sized and primed 38 super brass (200/30 bucks). It all really depends on what you hope to find and what you're willing to part with.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I'll go to maybe one a year, only for specific items like components or parts. Considering that you're down nearly $20 before you walk in the door, bargains are hard to find. The dealers seem to try to pay their table costs with each sale. The best gun deals are found outside from folks looking to sell or trade. Some of the dealers are very "knowledgeable", like the gun genius that informed me that my NIB S&W Model 19-5 was the worse Model 19 that S&W ever produced, and was nice enough to offer me $250 for it because he needed a parts gun. People like him reflects on the others as a whole.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I stopped going to our local guns shows when the banned concealed carry. I contacted them about it and they had all sorts of excuses why they wont allow it. They wont get my money to look at mostly over priced junk anymore.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Gun shows indeed suck. Last time I owned one, though, the Phoenix Arms 22 was all steel. Rough, badly finished, but steel and it wnet "bang" for several thousand rounds. If this has changed, please correct me.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I used to buy guns at shows, but the shows seemed to have changed over the years. It used to be there were few retail dealers at them, now there's tons. So they've just become traveling gun stores. The type of people that go to them has changed along with that.

I'd go sometimes and cruise for reloading components. I'd always find good deals on powder and primers. But now there's an online option for those. The same with guns, for that matter. The crowd is a bunch of less experienced shooters, and the dealers are looking to fleece them.

Really hard to justify the entry and parking cost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts